Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: SHALAMAR
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:05 pm 

In the late 70' to the early 80's this group had great success in UK clubs and the UK charts. During this period there music was consistly good. I always remember trying to copy Jeffery Daniel's dance moves and practicing in front of the mirror at home before heading out for the night!..man! what a dumb-ass i was....could never perfect them moves.
Anyway!....let's have a look at the history of the band they called SHALAMAR..

Disco in the late 1970s was still viewed as something evil, something anti-art, not “real” music. Gradually acts like Chic and Earth Wind And Fire changed all that. But neither of those acts were manufactured by anyone but themselves. Shalamar were different. Somebody thought of a concept and built a band around it. And in doing so, they unleashed a monster – a group so strong that it took on an identity waaay beyond what was envisaged at its inception. And along the way, that monster brought us some of the greatest dancefloor hits of its era and a whole new style of dancing too. If any disco was art, this surely was.

The original man with a plan was Dick Griffey. Based in LA, Griffey held a pivotal role in the American music business – he was the booking agent for Soul Train, the nationally-networked black music show that was, in this pre-MTV era, the funkiest show on television. Griffey teamed up with one Simon Soussan, a Brit who had been a northern soul DJ, to produce a bright, but hardly original, medley record called “Uptown Festival”. A string of old Motown hits stuck together over a disco beat, the record nonetheless charted when it was released under the name of Shalamar on Griffey’s Soul Train label in 1977.

They had a hit act but no members, so Griffey took it upon himself to recruit some. He knew where to look – among the dancers on Soul Train were a girl and a boy who both looked brilliant, and could they move! Jody Watley and Jeffrey Daniel looked the part, but neither seemed to have the ideal front voice, and the group went through a couple of male singers, Gerald Brown and Gary Mumford, before Howard Hewett arrived. Thus was the classic Shalamar line-up decided.

After the release of an album built around
“Uptown Festival”, the trio, still signed to Griffey’s label, now known as Solar (Sound of Los Angeles records), and set to work with producer Leon Sylvers III, resulting in 1978’s “Disco Gardens” album, from which came “Take That To The Bank”, which rolled up the charts and was particularly well-received in the UK. The following year’s “The Second Time Around” was a US pop smash, but again it also made waves in Britain, where the group rapidly became part of the mainstream landscape.

With Hewett’s emotive, tender voice out front and Solar’s factory-sealed, lush synthed-up disco flowing smoothly behind, Shalamar hit a roll of hits. But it’s easy to forget the crucial part played by Jeffrey Daniel, with his lank, super-trendy mop of hair and bodypopping dancing. Every halfway-hip kid in school wanted to be like Jeffrey. He did more to make dancing fashionable again than even Michael Jackson, who must surely have copped some steps from Jeffrey. And in time Jody Watley came to prove herself a capable singer as well as a slinky mover.

The 1982 “Friends” album proved to be a high water mark for Shalamar, delivering three big UK hits, “I Can Make You Feel Good”, “A Night To Remember” and “There It Is”, as well as the title track, to the pop charts. Even the critics, in the UK at least, took them seriously – these records were just too strong to dismiss. But as with all huge groups, the siren calls to split and take all the cash to the bank personally proved irresistible and Watley and Daniel quit for solo deals in 1984, leaving Hewett to add two new members, Mickey Free and Delissa Davis. Although the group scored some smaller hits, and won a Grammy for “Don’t Get Stopped In Beverly Hills” on the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack, the success stopped when Hewett quit in 1986, to be replaced by Sidney Justin. Without Hewett, the magic had gone.

For a group formed as an afterthought to a one-off single, Shalamar had done pretty well – to say the least. They may have been a Frankenstein creation, but somehow the monster created magic. If manufactured bands can sound this good, it’s a wonder any other kind of group exists . . .

1. Uptown Festival (8:44)
The debut single, spring 1977. Purely a concept at this time, but it introduced the name.

2. High On Life (3:35)
From the “Uptown Festival” album, but demonstrating that there was more going on here than just a moneymaking exercise. Perhaps surprisingly, received something of a revival on the UK rare groove scene in the late 1980s.

3. Take That To The Bank (6:13)
Recognisably the Shalamar we know and love, although the lead voice here is Gerald Brown. Top 20 in the UK around Christmas of 1978.

4. The Second Time Around (7:06)
Akron Ohio-ite Howard Hewett now fronts the band. From the 1979 LP “Big Fun”, and only a minor UK hit, although it was their last big US pop smash (No 8) for some time.

5. Right In The Socket (6:40)
Another small UK hit (No 44 in February 1980) but way bigger in the clubs.

6. I Owe You One (5:05)
August 1980, and finally they crack the UK top 20 again, although this is just a minor US R&B hit.

7. Make That Move (6:16)
A 1981 UK hit although recorded for the 1980 “Three For Love” LP. As with several of their hottest singles, co-written by Solar’s keyboard maestro William Shelby.

8. I Can Make You Feel Good (4:19)
The first of four Brit hits from the unstoppable 1982 “Friends” LP, Howard Hewett had a hand in the writing of it.

9. A Night To Remember (5:06)
A tune to remember and their biggest UK single although it didn’t trouble the upper reaches of the US pop chart.

10. Friends (5:01)
Ironically the group were at their commercial peak at the time this was a hit in November 1982, yet rumours were rife that contracts for solo deals were already on the table. In a cute bit of corporate humour, the UK catalogue number for the single was CHUM 1.

11. Dead Giveaway (5:00)
The group turn inevitably poppier with this 1983 slice of processed cheese, but it was still Top 20 in the UK and their biggest US hit for four years.

12. Over And Over (4:34)
The formula was still there, but a little short of sparkle on this June 1983 UK Top 30 single.

13. Disappearing Act (5:56)
Watley and Daniel were ready for their own Disappearing Act by now (late summer 1983), with Watley to a modelling contract in London and then considerable solo success on MCA, and Daniel to presenting the UK version of Soul Train. It had been great while it lasted, but the classic Shalamar was over.

On another note for a second!.....i always used to get pissed off with people that would credit the origin of the MOONWALK (BACKSLIDE) down to MICHAEL JACKSON...Anybody in the know, knew that this accolade belonged to JEFFERY DANIEL of SHALAMAR....follow this link and watch JD perform on the UK show TOP OF THE POPS back in 1982....note this was one year before MJ brought it to the worlds attention at the MOTOWN 25th ANIVERSARY SHOW....

SHALAMAR UK TOP OF THE POPS 1982

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ImkBve8OW8

Just for the record JD went on to choreograph MJ's live shows and music video's after he had seen JD bust his moves.....

Post subject: Good Job
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:34 pm 

Good Job Mikey! Great read. UPTOWN Festival may have a revival and revision in the near future! Right JAY!! JODY WATLEY was a sexy, expressionistic dancer, who easily could give a man a woody just watching her. Imagine the LAP Dance she could give you!!

Post subject: Excellent!!
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:36 pm 

Great Job Soul-Boy! I love SHALIMAR. And, guys, I have danced with Jody! Yes, incredibly sexy dancer. LAP DANCE!!?? I won't tell!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:48 pm 

Pink Lady & Pete,

Yeah!...Jody Whatley she certainly had the Bing!..Bang!..Boom!

Enjoyed her solo stuff to boot!

Remember this gem boys! & girls!

JODY WHATLEY - "LOOKING FOR A NEW LOVE"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foq2yMj2QgQ

Arise!....Sir Woody...

Post subject: Shalamar
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:01 pm 

"UPTOWN FESTIVAL" was a Tropicalia staple for months that put Shalamar and their label mates Carrie Lucas, & The Whispers on regular rotation.

We were waiting for a follow up to "UPTOWN FESTIVAL" when Soul Train Records split up----Don Cornelius taking his 'Soul Train' brand name and Dick Griffey taking the record company.

In the USA, Solar had put a 12" out on a track called "TOSSIN' AND TURNIN". The track was pretty boring but the 'B' side was "TAKE THAT TO THE BANK"---of course us DJs flipped it and Shalimar had another club & radio hit.

"THE SECOND TIME AROUND" made Top 15 Pop radio on this side of the pond and was Shalimar's biggest radio hit here.--also makin g #1 in the clubs.

"RIGHT IN THE SOCKET" was also a US pop hit/ also #1 in the clubs--Solar released a Rick Gianatos 12" remix 6 months after the 'Big Fun' album was released that revived the song again.

"I OWE YOU ONE" & "MAKE THAT MOVE" were R&B radio chart busters but the last Shalamar record that was deemed a classic was the R&B soul shaker "A NIGHT TO REMEMBER"....along with the ballad.."THIS IS FOR THE LOVER IN YOU"

Post subject: "Take That To The Bank"
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:12 pm 

Great information Jay!....

Had know idea that "TAKE THAT TO THE BANK" was a flip-side over your neck of the woods....thank god for the likes of you and other stateside jocks that brought it to people's attention.....

Respect!
.....and you can take that straight to the bank!...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:23 am 

UPTOWN FESTIVAL !!!! Great Jam in it's day. Sounds like "BubbleGum" in today's market. But... Jay, at tRH, next time, make sure you bring two copies!!

Post subject: Hey, we left one out!!
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:40 am 

You know guys, Shalimar had another disco hit we have left out. I recently remembered one we haven't mentioned!- I loved it too. I want to play,"I Caught Your Act". In it's own right, a great song! We forget that one??

Post subject: Caught Your Act
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:25 am 

NaW - We didn't forget--->
"I CAUGHT YOUR ACT" was The Hughes Corporation's follow up to "ROCK THE BOAT"

PETE'S NOTE:: HA HA HA!! It's the weed!!

Board index » DISCO » Artists