Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: George McCrae
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:08 am 

George McCrae's talents go much deeper than a flash in the pan-one time super star, his unique style, his universal appeal and his devotion to perfection have placed him in the position of continuing popularity in more then 82 countries for nearly three decade. Talent has taken this popular performer on three world tours with critics raving at every performance and audiences screaming for more.
Since his smash hit "Rock Your Baby" rocketed him to fame in 1974, George has set the music world on fire with hit after hit. Two platinum singles, two platinum LP's and fourteen gold records, top music awards from all over the globe have attested to this amazing vocalist's popularity and talent.

George McCrae, the innovator, spearheaded the whole "Miami Sound" which became the nation's disco taste and the record that set the standard for every other pop recording artist to follow was "Rock Your Baby". Certainly, the record of 1974 around the world, that one song sold in excess of 52 million copies making it one of the biggest selling pop records in history.

Voted the "No.1 Single of the Year" by Rolling Stone Magazine, Record World, British's Cash Box and the Dutch Music Poll. "Rock Your Baby" remained a number one hit on the charts in more than 82 countries for months.

George received the coveted "Luxembourg Golden Lion" Award for outstanding Achievement by a Foreign Artist in Germany, (Frank Sinatra and Kent Lavoie, as Lobo is the only other U.S.A. Recipient of this award). George was a 1974 nominee for the Best Male R & B Vocalist at the prestigious National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.

The power of a super hit record to create international stardom for a new artist has never been more evident than in the case of George McCrae.

Born the second oldest of nine children on October 19, 1944 in West Palm Beach, Florida and the son of a retired policeman, George McCrae had his first singing experience in church at the age of six. As a teenager, he sang with the Roosevelt High School Glee Club and eventually formed his own group, the Jivin' Jets, before joining the U.S. Navy in 1963. Back on the street, four years later, George sang in clubs and lounges around Florida and after seven years of modest musical success and a couple of records, enrolled in college to study law enforcement. However, music was still on his mind and he decided to record "Rock Your Baby" as one last shot. It hit the charts like a tidal wave

The man who zoomed to the top with his simple, sexy, hypnotic rendition knows that one hit, no matter how tremendous, is not the sole basis for a career. Hot on the heels of this phenomenal hit, "I Can't Leave You Alone" and "You Can Have It All" (singles pulled from the LP "Rock Your Baby") sustained George's spot at the top of the international pop charts. No longer categorized as just an R & B act, George continues to break his records successfully with the audiences of Europe and other Countries before they ever cross over to hit the R&B (dance) and Pop charts in North America.
His second hit album entitled "George McCrae" sustained his prominence with blockbusters such as "It's Been So Long" and "I Ain't Lyin" established George as a versatile performer and led to further global tours. Again, in 1979 on the crest of his popular LP "We Did It", George toured Britain, Europe and the Middle East. His other chart smashes include "Sing a Happy Song" and "Honey I".
In 1984, George was back on the music scene with a new sound, from his new LP "One Step Closer" and single of the same name reached the no.1 position contemporary charts in Canada and top 75 charts in England and Holland.

The ball started to roll again, in 1987, George re-recorded "Rock Your Baby" and instantly, he was back in the European dance charts.
Now it all happens again. George has been co-writing and co-producing new music, a platinum sound - the "McCrae sound" the sound that the fans have been begging for - smooth -soulful - sensational. New songs, new records, new sound, with just enough of the original magic to guarantee George McCrae another decade of worldwide stardom.

George McCrae's CD, LP, "With All My Heart" was release in July 1991, on Magnif /Dino label, Germany. The first single, "Breathless", top 20 dance charts, Europe.In 1994, he did it again with his CD, "Do Something" in which the title single went top ten in Belgium, Luxembourg and The Netherlands.

In the year 2003, Georgie boy was back in a recording studio in Tarol, Austria working on his new upcoming CD. The first single from this new endeavor "Hold Me In Your Arms" was been released in Germany, Austria and Switzerland in November 2003.

In America, Castle Mountain Records released a three CD package on George McCrae in the spring of 2004 via telemarketing.The first CD in this package will be compiled with George McCrae's greatest hits. The other two CD's will consist of all new material. So he is not gone away, he is still around. Thank you George.

Post subject: This Section Has Grown
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:12 am 

This section has grown a little. That is a good thing. George McCrae was so influential in my life. He made me want to dance. I was still too young to even know who he was, but I soon found out. ROCK YOUR BABY was one of those songs that still sound great when played. I know, it is on my Ipod!

Post subject: George McCrae
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:29 am 

George owes a lot to Harold Wayne Casey (KC) and Richard Finch----KC & The Sunshine Band. It was them who produced that sound that everyone loved.
The Sunshine Sound came alive in his "ROCK YOUR BABY", and paved the way for many other hits by KC himself, Jimmy 'BO' Horne, Betty Wright, and others.

A song by George that was so overlooked-->"I AIN'T LYIN" ('75)
Real funky & movin---real KC!!!!!

Post subject: George Doesn't think so!1
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:03 am 

I can tell you that George McCrae does not think he owes anyone, anything! He"started the Disco movement". I think he was very instrumental in it, but he personally, did not start it!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:57 am 

If I stand correct, it was the initial intention that his wife sang 'Rock your baby', but when they went to the studio, she stood back & did not want to sing...

So, George stood up & sang rock your baby.

Almost instantly it became a world wide hit !

bad luck for his wife...

Post subject: Interesting!
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:15 pm 

Tom, nice to see you around! Those women must be keeping you busy!! LOL- I too, have heard that "story". Pretty much, just like you say. But there are ways to find out for sure. I am sure we will soon know for sure. Cool hearing from you "youngster"!! My main man!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:20 pm 

Hi Pete...nice avatar :D

Unfortuanately, Rock your Baby is the only song that I know from George mcRea ; he's a one hit wonder aswell, here in Europe. I cannot name any other song from George...

Post subject: Tom
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:32 pm 

I know for a fact, that he released other songs. All you have to do is read above, George(Who wrote that) believes he had many hits. But I tend to agree with you, he might be a ONE-HIT WONDER, but what a ONE HIT!! It is so good seeing you here again! I certainly missed you!

Post subject: Re: George McCrae
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:20 pm 

Jay Negron wrote:
George owes a lot to Harold Wayne Casey (KC) and Richard Finch----KC & The Sunshine Band. It was them who produced that sound that everyone loved.
The Sunshine Sound came alive in his "ROCK YOUR BABY", and paved the way for many other hits by KC himself, Jimmy 'BO' Horne, Betty Wright, and others.

A song by George that was so overlooked-->"I AIN'T LYIN" ('75)
Real funky & movin---real KC!!!!!

George also sang on the "QUEEN OF CLUBS" track by KC & TSB but was not credited for it in 1974.

GEORGE McCRAE hits in the UK,

June 1974 "ROCK YOUR BABY" Highest UK Chart Position - No. 1
Oct 1974 "I CAN'T LEAVE YOU ALONE" Highest UK Chart Position - No. 9
Dec 1974 "YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL" Highest UK Chart Position - No.23
March 1975 "SING A HAPPY SONG" Highest UK Chart Position - No.38
July 1975 "IT'S BE SO LONG" Highest UK Chart Position - No.4
Oct 1975 " I AIN'T LYING" Highest UK Chart Position - No.12
Jan 1976 "HONEY I" Highest UK Chart Position - No.33

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:48 pm 

George McCrae - "Don't You Feel my Love"

Sunshine Sound Records U.S. 1979

Remix by Steve Thompson from memory. It's one of my favourite 12".

This track was absolutely massive in most clubs. If you didn't play it you & your crowd missed out!

Post subject: Sad To say
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:55 pm 

We missed out Then!! No-One played that song, at least, no one reported it. Sad to say.

Post subject: Hey Pauly
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:43 am 

Hey Pauly, post that song if you can----we would like to hear it!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:24 am 

My 12" Of George McCrae - "Don't You feel My Love" is in the UK.

Perhaps Soul Boy can go round & pick it up :lol:

Now I want to play it after talking about it! Bugger.

Someone else help us out please???...Dancer?

It's gotta be on one of those best of TK records cds surely...........

Check it here for a look

http://12inchvinylclub.blogspot.com/200 ... ve-12.html

Also do a search on youtube for it. I'm sure someone has posted it there. I can't give you a link as I'm barred from Youtube @ work.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:37 pm 

pflext wrote:
My 12" Of George McCrae - "Don't You feel My Love" is in the UK.

Perhaps Soul Boy can go round & pick it up :lol:

Now I want to play it after talking about it! Bugger.

Someone else help us out please???...Dancer?

It's gotta be on one of those best of TK records cds surely...........

Check it here for a look

http://12inchvinylclub.blogspot.com/200 ... ve-12.html

Also do a search on youtube for it. I'm sure someone has posted it there. I can't give you a link as I'm barred from Youtube @ work.

GEORGE McCRAE - "DON'T YOU FEEL MY LOVE" (1979)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p0dzXjiZVfI

Post subject: George McCrae - "Don't You Feel My Love"
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:32 pm 

BTW Paul....thanks for bringing this tune to my attention!.....what a floor-stomper!...LOVE IT!

Board index » DISCO » Artists