Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: The Ritchie Family
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:37 am 

Ritchie Family

Disco group (1975- Present)

The RITCHIE FAMILY was not related, they were created. Isn't that how all families come to be, they are created? But not like this, JACQUES MORALI and RITCHIE ROME are the ones responsible for assembling this group. It was so successful, that years later CASABLANCA Records let themselves get talked into a ridiculous concept of Stereotypical Gay Fantasy Characters becoming a group, remember them, The VILLAGE PEOPLE. But that is another completely different story.

What MORALI and RITCHIE ROME did is take that PHILADELPHIA Sound to another level. Using a group that had been called HONEY AND THE BEES (Very Original?) that consisted of JEAN DAVIS, CASSANDRA WOOTEN, GWEN OLIVER and NADINE FELDER. The brain-trust revamped, and the trio of THE RITCHIE FAMILY was born. Nadine was released.

In the infant days of DISCO, 1975 was a very big year. The arrival of DONNA SUMMER and the un-veiling of THE RITCHIE FAMILY from the South Florida DISCO record company T.K.. On their MARLIN Label, they took off, setting DANCE FLOORS ablaze with their music. THE RITCHIE FAMILY dominated, starting with the reworking of a 1930's song called BRAZIL (made popular by CARMEN MIRANDA) which was a great track to dance to. It took over DISCOS and was one of the first DISCO records to get extensive airplay on TOP 40 radio stations. The New York City deejays embraced this song and soon everyone was dancing the HUSTLE to BRAZIL! This extremely popular song left everyone wanting MORE.

All THE RITCHIE FAMILY albums were "concept" albums. And there was a certain attraction to the 1930s. After the Album BRAZIL, came ARABIAN NIGHTS, again with a 30s theme. Then came AFRICAN QUEENS. All these albums featured a 15 to 20 minute medley. The Medley from ARABIAN NIGHTS was especially good. From that LP came THE RITCHIE FAMILIES' biggest hit, THE BEST DISCO IN TOWN, which itself was a medley of the biggest DISCO hits of 1976.

MARLIN & T.K. Records made a lot of money from these albums. QUIET VILLAGE may be their best work, though it went mostly un-noticed. This "Hidden Gem" was the smoothest, best dance track they released.

By 1978, THE RITCHIE FAMILY followed JACQUES MORALI to CASABLANCA Records where their music gained a more European flavor to it. The album was called AMERICAN GENERATION and wasn't as well received as their earlier work. Their final album of the 70s had PUT YOUR FEET TO THE BEAT which did real good in DISCOS, but failed to generate excitement in the now, anti-disco radio stations that called themselves TOP 40.

As AIDS arrived, one of it's first victims was JACQUES MORALI, and subsequently, THE RITCHIE FAMILY. They were without leadership, and no creative direction. It was all over but the name. THE RITCHIE FAMILY is still around today, but with totally different women, playing the Club circuit. There is no real hope for a return to their Glory Days. Still, while they were around, we enjoyed them. THANKS!!

Now there may be some facts here that are not perfect, but to those I say, you post them next time!

Post subject: Ritchie Fam
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:01 am 

You got 99% papi---you are on point!

The only thing is that the first album was on 20th Century records.
The first album featured MOST of the musicians from MFSB/Salsoul Orch.

When they moved to Marlin/TK Henri Belolo took over as Jacques Morali's musical partner and Ritchie Rome was XX'ed out.

(I always wondered if Ritchie continued to get paid since the group was obviously named after him.)

To this day I love "QUIET VILLAGE" & "BRAZIL"

PS...When "BRAZIL" first came out as a 45, we all jumped on it, immedietely.
It was pretty short, not much over 3 minutes and it faded out on Zach Zachary's sax solo.

I went to the 'Second Floor' in New Rochelle one Thursday night, DJ Frankie was playing "BRAZIL"
---it got to the end-
-Zach was playing his horn and.....it kept playing!!
The song kept going!!!!
I was screaming---the song went on another whole minute, Zach finished his solo, and I was on a mission.
I just HAD to get that version.
It took a week but I had to import the Canadian pressing which had the 4:16 version on the 45.

A month later the album came out.

Post subject: Ritchie Family!!
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:39 am 

There were many great songs from this great group. I loved QUIET VILLAGE & BABY I'M ON FIRE best. Did these girls do a Disco version of,"WHEN YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH A FOOTBALL HERO" or was that the Salsoul Orchestra. Do you remember that song?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:04 pm 

The Ritchie Family! The prototype of enchanting Disco with beautiful orchestration. "Brazil", "Life Is Music", "Quiet Village", "Frenesi", simply too much to mention all my favos by 'em! But, from the later period, "I Feel Discogood" is 1 Monstajam!

And of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qBNsZK5p7U

Post subject: I guess she was gone!
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:34 pm 

What happened to the white girl? I guess this was after she was gone. This is a totally different group, and sound. More SOUL, less orchestration. Which was better. I liked them both!

Post subject: Re: Ritchie Fam
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:23 am 

Jay Negron wrote:
PS...When "BRAZIL" first came out as a 45, we all jumped on it, immedietely.
It was pretty short, not much over 3 minutes and it faded out on Zach Zachary's sax solo.

I went to the 'Second Floor' in New Rochelle one Thursday night, DJ Frankie was playing "BRAZIL"
---it got to the end-
-Zach was playing his horn and.....it kept playing!!
The song kept going!!!!
I was screaming---the song went on another whole minute, Zach finished his solo, and I was on a mission.
I just HAD to get that version.
It took a week but I had to import the Canadian pressing which had the 4:16 version on the 45.

A month later the album came out.
[/b]

Now that's what I call passion folks. :twisted:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:32 am 

The Ritchie Family also recorded in France. In 1978 the girls appeared on the soundtrack album of "Je Te Tiens Tu Me Tiens Par la Barbichette", a comedy film by Jean Yanne, along with The Village People. The ost contains 2 Morali/Belolo compositions, "La Barbichette" and "Forever Dancing", both in the real fun Ritchie sound.

Post subject: Just Heard It Last Night
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:22 pm 

Jussi, I just heard it last night, on an old Jimmy Burgess set. Great stuff. I always like EVERYTHING they released. No matter who the girls were. JUSSI, can you play that stuff today??Would they know it is old?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:30 am 

They would know it's old but that was never a question as such, though apparently there are people who dance to music like that under an impression it's current stuff, in the case of the more electronic sounds. But when I suggested "La Barbichette" for Paris a few years ago they said NON, as it's a well known children's tune and as such, too naff and cheesy in the wrong way, for the French. So, no Barbichette for the party. But me, I love it!

Board index » DISCO » Artists