Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: CALHOON
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:34 am 

Calhoon was formed in 1972 by six high school friends who decided to put together a band to play school dances and local events. In the next three years they gained a large fan base and became New York's top paid non-recording band.

After much success and many performances, Calhoon decided to buy a 20,000 square foot restaurant in Hallendale, Florida and turned it into South Florida's largest Disco called Rumbottoms. They booked as many Disco Acts as possible.

At Rumbottoms, Calhoon would be the opening acts for the shows. It was around this time that they were approached backstage by legendary Beatle's record producer Phil Spector's A & R man, Ron Saul about a recording contract on Spector's new Warner Brother's label, Warner / Spector. This labels other acts included such big names as Cher, Harry Nilson and others.

Within four months Calhoon had released their first single, "(Do You Wanna) Dance, Dance, Dance" b/w "Rain 2000," which began to climb the charts as they completed their follow-up single "Soul Man" and completed an album in Philly with Don Renaldo supplying all the wonderful strings we hear on all those great Philly Soul records of the 1970s.

During the next few years Calhoon toured the U. S. and Canada opening concerts for Patti LaBelle, K. C. and the Sunshine Band, Gloria Gaynor, Four Tops, Tavares, Al Green, Temptations, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Teddy Pendergrass, Vicki Sue Robinson, The Trammps, The Stylistics, B. B. King, Sister Sledge, Carol Douglas, The Monkees, and many others including a three-month stadium tour with Isaac Hayes.

Calhhon's music is available on vinyl at many online record stores such as GEMM and their records were released in the U. S., Canada, U. K., Italy, France, Germany and Japan. In fact Calhoon's (Do You Wanna) Dance, Dance, Dance" is considered to be one of the earliest 12 inch singles offered by Warner Brothers being released as a promo to DJs in 1975.

Lead vocalist Billy Stewart is still active in the music business and his new music is available at CD Baby, Apple's iTunes Music Service and other stores.

Post subject: Still Got It.
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:40 am 

I still got my promo copy of the 12" "DANCE DANCE DANCE"
It was one of those that was BLANK on side 'B'--no "RAIN 2000" on mine.

Post subject: Soul Man
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:38 am 

Remember, they also had a minor hit with "Soul Man". Their cover was still incredibly soulful, but had a distinct Disco flavor. I remember these guys playing the Jersey Disco circuit in the early to mid 70's. I saw them at CAMEO in 1976? And they were pretty impressive for a "Local" band. Then I came to Miami in 1978, and RUM-BOTTOMS is the hottest club in the area. These guys rocked, and must have made a ton of money. RUM-BOTTOMS was the same location as THE LIMELIGHT. And both those clubs dominated the South Florida night club scenes until they git hit by a bad case of "Jewish Lightning", and burned to the ground. Deejays such as Bobbie Lombardi(The deejay,I, believe, invented "Beat Mixing") and future Grammy Winner Lewis Martinee'. Add to that CALHOON as the House Band, and acts like The Trammps, Gloria Gaynor, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes and even The Kid making appearances there; this place was the best thing in the South!. A Million Light, Light Show, that was unbelievable; a Sound System, second to none. A deejay booth larger then most peoples studio apartments, that featured four turntables, two reel-to-reels, five cassette decks and a crew of lightmen. In fact, on my, second night in South Florida, I was a guest there. And watched Bobbie Lombardi perform. A master at work. Smooth blends, but oddly, no remixes,LIVE?? He told me he was moving to San Fransisco to work at the TOCADERO TRANSFER, but I don't think he ever got there? I am sure Bobby Vitertti would know what happened to him. They were friends down here for a long time. Back to CALHOON. They had a horn section that sounded like the TOWER OF POWER, and their style has been called a cross of TOP and EARTH, WIND & FIRE. But, they were mostly BLANQUTOS! They would mix in and out of their sets. Something I think very highly of. I think it is so cool! Their producer was ANDY KAHN. And he is a man with that golden touch. He, of course, produced KAREN YOUNG, and is the man responsible for "Hot Shot", obviously, one of my favorite songs EVER! AND!!! He is coming here very soon. Claes will explain. Sorry Claes, I blew your surprise. It was unintentional. But since I am here, WTF! With CALHOON, ANDY gave them a sense of purpose in their music. Showed them a direction, and these guys always had that magic. Un-sung, and extremely under-rated! CALHOON was responsible for the Disco/Club scene in South Florida to explode. Their music, and RUM-BOTTOMS/LIMELIGHT set the standard for DISCO. Every club afterwards looks to it as inspiration and as a level of excellence. The standard level to archive. CALHOON started this!

Post subject: ????????
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:41 am 

CALHOON started what?????

I think you might be smokin too many fattys---starting to sound like LOU!!!

lol

Post subject: WTF do you know!
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:51 am 

WTF do you know, you were in New York City. They created South Florida's top club, and the one spot to topple. They were easily at the top of the to-tom-pole! But, on the other hand, I had me a cigarette sized Fatty! LOL

Post subject: I was here!
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:52 am 

I was here, RUM-BOTTOMS/LIMELIGHT was the very best club ever! Better then 54, Paradise Garage,1235, BONDS. This place was so great. And CALHOON was the architects of it. So I think Pete's assumption is accurate.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:15 pm 
Man you guys must of smoked some serious stuff (and you didnt share ) because everyone knows that the absolute best club in the history of clubbing in the entire world to this day,was and will always be Rick's Bar!

Hahahahahahaha.....

I smoked good shit too!

Post subject: RICK'S BAR??
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:28 pm 

WOW!! That really had to be GREAT stuff! RICK'S BAR wasn't even the best club in Hialeah! I want some of that smoke!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:34 pm 
I never even considered it a club to begin with,in fact it was really a restaurant/lounge.

A club?

My closet back then was bigger than Ricks and I had a better light system then they ever had in my room,and that was just having 2 lamps with colored bulbs in them and a radio shack strobe...hahahahahahaha.

1 out 10,Rick's bar to me was a 10,only because I would get free grammies all night long!

PETE DENIS:: PERIQUERO!! RUSH RUSH Give me YeYo!!
Felix Sama took care of you!

Post subject: Re: Soul Man
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:24 am 
Pete Denis wrote:
Remember, they also had a minor hit with "Soul Man". Their cover was still incredibly soulful, but had a distinct Disco flavor.

Listen for yourselves!

http://www.speedyshare.com/272841201.html

Board index » DISCO » Artists