Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: Norman Whitfield--- R.I.P.
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:28 am 

I just saw that legendary Motown Producer Norman Whitfield died late last night. May he rest in peace! AOL had this to say!-

LOS ANGELES (Sept. 17) - Norman Whitfield, who co-wrote a string of Motown classics including "War" and "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," has died. He was 67.
A spokeswoman at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center says Whitfield died there Tuesday. He suffered from complications of diabetes and had recently emerged from a coma, The Detroit Free Press reported.

"Motown producer who during the 1960s and '70s injected rock and psychedelic touches into the label's soul music. Many of his biggest hits were co-written with Barrett Strong, with whom he was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2004.
The two won the Grammy in 1972 for best R&B song for the Temptations' "Papa Was a Rolling Stone." Whitfield won another Grammy in 1976 for best original TV or motion picture score for "Car Wash."
Whitfield also worked as a producer for the Temptations and others.
Many of Whitfield's songs from that era, including Edwin Starr's 1970 "War" and the Temptations' 1970 "Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today)," have a strong political tone.
In a statement, Motown great Smokey Robinson hailed Whitfield as "one of the most prolific songwriters and record producers of our time. He will live forever through his great music."
Among Whitfield's other songs, according to the Songwriters Hall Web site, are "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep," "Cloud Nine" and "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)," all hits for the Temptations; and "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby," a 1969 hit for Marvin Gaye.
Just last week, Gaye's version of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," from 1968, was ranked at No. 65 in Billboard magazine's compilation of the top singles of the past 50 years. It was also a hit for Gladys Knight and the Pips, in 1967.

Post subject: A Big Loss!
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:33 am 

What a loss for the music world. It has been a tough year for the greats. We have some lost really influential people. Mr Whitfield made classics, standards now! Truly a genius! WAR & BALL OF CONFUSION were instrumental in the mentality of America's youth. It made them realize that the world was in trouble. And through these same songs, they moved us not only on the dance floor, but as a people. RIP

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:36 am 

I am truly saddened by this news.

I feel a deep loss.

R.I.P. Mr. Whitfield.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:19 pm 

My love for music started with the Motown sound and which lead to a futher love for the 'Northern Soul Scene' which exploded on to the dancefloors around Northern England in the mid 70's. All my first record buys as a kid were on the Tamela/Motown label. All that Whitfield & Strong collaberated on was pure magic to me. All lovers of soul/dance music have lost a true legend.

Thank You For The Music!

Norman Whitfield

God Bless & R.I.P

Post subject: Bummer
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:01 pm 

WOW, what a bummer.
Norman Whitfield was one of my idols of the music scene.

Along with many other Top 10 hits and crossover hits he produced I had a couple of "Club Favs" that were typical of his music--->lots of momentum, soul, & funk!! Here are a few:

The Temptations: "MASTERPIECE", "LAW OF THE LAND"
Undisputed Truth: "I'M A FOOL FOR YOU", "BIG JOHN IS MY NAME"
Rose Royce: "YOU + ME = LOVE"

Right now he is probably planning a LIVE REMIX with Norman Harris, Issaic Hayes, & Barry White!!!!

PETE'S NOTE:: I know this is in bad taste, sorry if I offend anyone, but I must correct Jay; THIS IS BAD- Sorry, wrong choice of word, it would be accurate calling it a DEAD REMIX!! Sorry, my sick sense of humor could not pass that set up!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:37 pm 

I remember hearing 'papa was a rolling stone' by The Temptations for the very first time. I walked into this dark, empty nightclub where booming bass came from the speakers...I remember very well this amazing feel of deep space that the music created, a certain slightly threathening atmosphere, the handclaps, the strings...and then those deep male voices coming down from heaven, like the voice of God;
'it was the third of september, that day I'll always remember, cause that day my daddy died....that was the day he left us alone...'

Norman Whitfield is no longer amongst us, that day I'll always remember
U will be missed

Post subject: R.I.P.
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:08 pm 

Tough year for dance music. We are losing our pioneers!

Post subject: BILLBOARD ARTICLE
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:00 pm 

by Fred Bronson, ChartBeat, Billboard Magazine

NORMAN WHITFIELD, R.I.P.: When New York City-born Norman Whitfield was signed to Motown as a writer/producer, his first assignment was Marvin Gaye. That collaboration gave Gaye his first top 10 hit, "Pride and Joy," in 1963. Whitfield went on to work with the Temptations on their very first album (partnered with the group's primary writer/producer, Smokey Robinson) and was eventually paired with songwriter Barrett Strong, best known for his own Motown hit as an artist, "Money."

The Whitfield-Strong team wrote some of Motown's biggest hits, including "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" and "War."

Whitfield eventually left Berry Gordy's label and wrote the music for the soundtrack to "Car Wash." He formed his own label, Whitfield, and signed the group that recorded the hit songs from "Car Wash," Rose Royce.

As a lifelong Motown fan, I was sad to hear of Whitfield's passing this week at age 67. In tribute, here is the Norman Whitfield top 10, excerpted from the fourth edition of "Billboard's Hottest Hot 100 Hits," and featuring his biggest singles as a songwriter:

1. "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," Marvin Gaye (1968)
2. "War," Edwin Starr (1970)
3. "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)," The Temptations (1971)
4. "Car Wash," Rose Royce (1977)
5. "I Can't Get Next to You," The Temptations (1969)
6. "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," Gladys Knight & the Pips (1967)
7. "Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today)," The Temptations (1970)
8. "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone," The Temptations (1972)
9. "Oh Boy," Cam'ron featuring Juelz Santana (2002)
10. "Smiling Faces Sometimes," The Undisputed Truth (1971)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:14 pm 

And thank you for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5atyymEXcX0

R.I.P.

Post subject: I respect him very much
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:21 pm 

When you consider that he WAS Motown, I expect everyone associated with dance/funk/disco/soul/R&B to miss him. I do. I also thank God he left us his great work. Thank You!

Board index » DISCO » Artists