Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: Mamma Mia!
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:31 am 

Since no-one else has started this, I guess it is up to me. Just saw the Movie, MAMMA MIA, with the lyrics to the songs flashing on the bottom of the screen like a Karaoke bar. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE in the packed theater, sang loud, and really bad. But it was a FUN scene to be a part of. With that, lets get a thread page going about ABBA, anything ABBA, and anything that involves ABBA. My favorite song, and there are few I dislike, has to be DANCING QUEEN. It tells a story, it is passionate, and it is a great dance song. Seriously, when you hear it, you want to sing and dance. It tore through Europe, then totally captivated the United States. The clubs could not get enough of it, and the radio played it more then they played commercials . It made the charts a few times, remember that Carol Douglass released a version herself, and it too, got plenty of club and radio play. Now with first the play and now the movie, it is reaching an entire new generation. Both, my 16 year old and my soon to be 4 year old love the song, and have not stopped singing, "You can dance, you can jive, having the time of you're life. Ooh, See that Girl, watch that scene, digging the DANCING QUEEN".

Post subject: About Time
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:39 am 

It is about time someone did this. Over the last 35 years, I must have booked thousands of parties, and "Dancing Queen" was a staple in every one of them. It never failed to pack the floor. Then there are the other songs that ABBA gave us. Of course, LAY ALL YOUR LOVE ON ME is still an anthem. Besides quite possibly being the very best disco group of all time, they would have certainly been that is they stayed together, their music lives on forever. I still love them.

Post subject: Abba
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:28 am 

Besides the 2 Ed mentioned above, my personal Abba fav is:
"THE VISITORS" Atlantic 12" 1981

Post subject: WHAT!!!???!!!
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:34 am 

Jr!! Jayski?? Did you just admit to liking an ABBA song?? Hell must be freezing over!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 am 

Only 1 Papi----only 1

PETE'S NOTE:: And it wasn't The Gay National Anthem

Post subject: COME ON!!!
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:36 am 

Come on!! F*** ABBA! They were bubble-gum!

PETE'S NOTE:: Finley, behave yourself, watch your mouth you Irish loud mouth

Post subject: Tell me
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:44 am 

What should I do with this guy? Is he always going to sound like a drunk Irish hoodlum? With a mouth like a trucker? Tell me JAY what should I do? Delete him again?

Post subject: Nah
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:49 am 

Nah, He's right, ABBA is bubble gum.
Really let's call a spade a spade---I never ever played "DANCING QUEEN" once. I played "LAY ALL YOUR LOVIN" 3 times (I didn't have the Disconet Version). "THE VISITORS" was on my regular rotation (for 2 months), but the song was more new wave than anything.

This time I agree with Finley.
Its like the whole country is getting excited about ABBA.
People need to get a life!
Abba is not a new concept in music; it's quite old fashioned--not cutting edge, and frankly I'm surprised you are devoting a thread to them.
Skip ABBA.

You could just edit the drunk's curses. They really don't offend me.

Post subject: They Are Swedish!
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:10 am 

JR- Don't you realize that they are Swedish? Do you know where this site originates from? SWEDEN!! CLAES is Swedish! Europe loves ABBA! You could get yourself in more trouble then FINLEY saying those things! LOL -- I understand that there are a lot of people who feel that way. But a persons personal opinion will not change history. History says, and the sales prove it, that ABBA was influential, they did bring the European sound stateside, and many of their songs were huge. The DISCONET version of LAY ALL YOUR LOVE ON ME is one of, if not the best Disco song of all time, competing for that honor with DANCING QUEEN among many others. I am very surprised you never got that DISCONET or the many bootlegs that it fathered. BTW, it is the only "BOOTLEG" that sold more copies then the original. That comes from CBS International A&R guy Mark Cerillo. How he knows that for a fact I have no idea. But he told The VYNIL JUNKIE magazine that in 1986. Come on, give ABBA the props they deserve, even if only for that Hot blond!

Post subject: SWEDEN
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:21 am 

I have give Sweden plenty of musical props over the years.
"HOW DO YOU DO" by Mouth & McNeal was one of the top songs in my playlist; as was:
"VENUS" - Shocking Blue
"LITTLE GREEN BAG" - George Baker Selection
and the StoneBridge Mix of "PICTURE THIS" by T-Diva.

Abba's alright. Everybody digs Abba now like they dug Dean Martin, or Perry Como when I was a kid.
The blond looks like my Patty Ann. And I'm still missing her so......

Post subject: Romantic
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:28 am 

You dare call me romantic. I bet you see Patty Ann in every female you meet or see. Get on your knees and beg for forgiveness! That always worked for me, ask PINK LADY!!

Post subject: Abba
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:00 am 

Everyone, ABBA rocks and rules. They were influential, popular and they still are. When their greatest hits album came out it went gold in a matter of hours(I believe). Look at the sales of all their records, almost as big as ELVIS. There are movies and plays. What more do you want. Now as for Pete begging, it wasn't forgiveness you wanted!!

Post subject: No More
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:32 pm 

No more jerk. I will behave, just gotta stay sober!-- I honestly thought that ABBA was pop, not real disco, but you guys pointed out Lay all your love on me. I now remember, it is foggy, but that was pure disco wasn't it. So I take back all the bad, it takes an Irishman to know he is wrong, it happens alot!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:43 am 
Site Admin

Hi guys !

As I Swede I might be disqualified from the discussion, but what the... :wink:

You know, in Sweden during the mid 70's when ABBA started out, everything was prog-rock. That was the only thing that counted and then came ABBA... They were considered commercial, not serious and not "good" enough in the eyes of the "prog-rock" acts who sat around playing their guitars while drinking red wine... But I guess time proved them wrong !!! BIG TIME !!!

But - I love them !!! Their music is timeless and so well arranged with the wonderful vocals their engineer (Mikael B Tretow) duplicated and put just a little out of phase to give the girls voices more "volume".
Anyway - to me ABBA was both POP and Disco... Even if "Lay All Your Love On Me" was one of the top tracks in the US, they did several great Disco songs... To mention a few; "Voulez-Vous", "Gimme Gimme Gimme" (which Madonna sampled in "Hung Up"), "Summernight City"... (the list could go on)

Another funny thing you might not know - one of the first time "Dancing Queen" was sung live was when the Swedish King got married and got his own (Dancing) Queen and ABBA sang the song in a live TV performance. People actually thought they had written the song exclusively for the wedding, which was not the case...

So - to me they're just THE thing and I'm really happy for all of their "new" success. Shows how timeless their music is !!!

// Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:55 am 

I love the Greg Silva 1981 Hot Tracks re-edit of "The Visitors".

Queen Elizabeth ll likes a boogie to "Dancing Queen" .....FACT!

Abba sold more records (per head of population) in Australia than anywhere else.....FACT!

I had a crush on Agnetha when I was 13......FACT!

All out of facts..............

:D

Board index » DISCO » Artists