Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Let's see..
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:17 am 

You claim, that I am wrong. That it was a trick question guys. Here is a history lesson, In June of 1979, August Darnell, the KID under his real name co-wrote this song. For his new act KID CREOLE and the Coconuts. In the subsequent weeks, it was decided, that the recording was not commercial enough, so they created a group called MACHINE, they then made it a "Disco Song With A Message". But which came first? It was a KID CREOLE product, but a business decision, changed that. I had, past tense, a white label, with a hand written THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO I in August of that year, only five copies out of a thousand that were pressed, came to the Florida Record Pool. A friend of Bo Crane got them for us. Since I opened, and distributed all product, a copy came my way, Bo Crane had one, Fred Held had one, Norman Smilely had one, and Carlos Nodal got the fifth one. So it was released to some 1000 people. Talk about rare! The White , hand-written label is a myth, but I know it wasn't. Machine released their fabulous version, the rest is history, except two things, 1) Kid Creole's version was released a year later, as a side B of a 12". 2) Watch that video STARR put up, who performs it better! The Coconuts were so young!! FORGETABOUTIT! I was well aware of the history, I just acted dumb! BTW- WHITE LABEL HANDWRITTEN COPY, worth thousands! If it ever existed! LOL--

Post subject: Oh Girl, Please!
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:21 am 

What a load of BS. Pete, you can really throw it around! What a way of not admitting you are wrong!! Complete BS!

Post subject: Not So Fast
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:23 am 

Not so fast PATO. I have heard that story many years ago(from Pete). It might be bullshit, but then it is 25 year old bullshit!

Post subject: COME ON!
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:25 am 

COME ON PEOPLE. COMPLETE BULLSHIT, WHO IS HE KIDDING?

Post subject: Could Be
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:28 am 

Hey, it could be complete bullshit. But I heard him tell me and others that story in 1983! So it is old bullshit. He did not make it up right now!!

PETE'S NOTE:: It is a myth! But I saw it, I had it, once. Can't prove it! So if you can't prove it, it is a myth! LOL

Post subject: 'B' SIDE IS RIGHT!
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:05 am 

What is NOT a myth is that Machine's version kicked ass, and The Kid Creole version is just a novelty light weight 'B' side.
The Kid's version would CLEAR the dance floor in MANY countries.
I know you like it Pete, so you can have my copy Papi!

PETE'S NOTE:: Not In Jamaica!

Post subject: ZOOT Suit
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:25 am 

I wonder how many of you have seen the early 80's movie called ZOOT Suit. It is based on an actual incident, and was made into a play by someone named Luis Valdez, then this movie. The star, is the ZOOT SUIT. It is so cool. It stars Edward James Omos. His finest work, made him a star. Imagine if KID CREOLE had that role, that was so obviously made for him. Talk about bad casting! Man, the KID would have won an OSCAR! The soundtrack would have become the best selling album of all time. Can you believe that those idiots made such a terrible casting mistake? After all, who is this guy EDWARD JOHN OMOS. A no-body! NOW THE KID! He would have made this movie his own, his talent would have made it the very best musical ever. Hell, the best movie PERIOD!! HOLLYWOOD blew this one! And that role demands the talent and coolness of The KID! Maybe a remake!!

Post subject: That is true!
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:10 pm 

I love the movie "zoot suit". I love that look. And if August Darnell had that role, it would have been a better movie! By far! But it still is a pretty good musical play!! Love that pose!

Post subject: Coati Mundai
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:58 am 

Have you ever noticed that little munchkin that hangs out on stage with The Kid? COATI MUNDAI also known as EL MOJON! Tell me, who is this guy? Is he Sugar-Coated Andy Hernandez? Or the troll that was assigned to watch over The Kid. A Boricua? Or a CUBANO? I know very little, but he is so talented!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:40 pm 

Was it mentioned already in some of the previous posts that August appeared in the well-recieved film "Be Kind Rewind" earlier this year, in a bit part along with Sigorney Weaver? The last time before that when I saw him on the screen was 20 years earlier, in the kinky psycho thriller "Pathos, Segrete Inquietudine", a real time capsule from the 80's with blue smoke in almost every scene and all cast members wearing massive shoulderpads.
The Kid Creole tracks WORK today. A couple of months ago I started a set in a crowded club with "In The Jungle" and it went down extremely well. Fab technicolor cabaret feel, yet funky and tribal. Slided nicely into "Sultana" by Titanic. I only have the lp version of "In The Jungle", must get around to ordering the full 12".
Cristina has been an underground fave since she first appeared with "Jungle Love". I adore the naughtier heavy breathing mix of her "Disco Clone" marathon 12", spinned it in Paris this year and got a good response. Now that one went well into Barbara Markay's 1979 "It's All Rite To Fuck All Nite", another cult item that never got as much exposure as it deserved. Over a jolly calypsodisco beat a man whispers "B Markay, what do you say?" to which the lady replies "It's alright to fuck all night And it's okay to suck all day!" and so on. - Today Mrs Markay is a respected worldbeat singer. I thought no, this cannot be the same Barbara who asked "tell me boys don't you all have a cock?" ( can you write down stuff like this here in the refined atmosphere of the disco-disco-dot-com? If not, my apologies, I'll clean up my act). But it was! She even lists the more radio-friendly edit It's all rite to truck all nite in her bio.

Post subject: I remember this!
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:14 pm 

Thirty years ago I attempted to play IT'S OKAY TO SUCK ALL DAY , IT'S ALRIGHT TO FUCK ALL NIGHT, which was too much for the DISCO SUCKS America of the time, but tame in comparison with today's lyrics! That is a rare record! I wonder where my copies are?? REMIX TIME??? LOL-- Hey MAN, you got that song??? Thanks Jussi for reminding me of it!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Jussi,

Don't worry about the language - specially when just quoting a lyric - no matter how dirty it might be... I don't mind, just as long no one start using that kind of language to one another in the posts !
Anyhow - need to check that on out... :wink:

//Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:07 am 
As much as I hate to admit it as the lat thing I'd like to do in life is feed Pete's already massive ego.

But he is right,Kid did record Before The Grace Of God prior to Machine.

The promo only he speaks about is somewhere in my collection!

Post subject: We don't know
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:14 am 

Pete came over to my house and we looked at both promos: The Kid's on Antilles Records (the promo) and Machine's on RCA.
The Kid's had 1980 on the label and Machine's had 1979.

We don't know how close they were actually recorded but maybe Kid's version came out earlier somewhere other than the US.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:33 am 

How many versions Of "My Male Curiosity" came out?

I hear that there is a nice remix or instrumental that possibly Shep Pettibone did that was never released commercially.

Anyone know what I'm talkin about? :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » DISCO » Artists