Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Chulo, Me La Mama!!
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:35 pm 

Chulo, lets' just count the United States hits.
1)Cher Chez La Femme- Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
2)I'll Play The Fool- Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
3)Sunshower- Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
4)Deputy Of Love- Don Armando's Second Avenue Rumba Band
5)There But for The Grace Of God- Machine
6)Dario,Can You Get Me Into Studio 54- Dana & Gene
7)Aur Wiedessen - Dr Buzzard's Original Rumba Band
8)My Male Curiosity- Kid Creole
9)Me No Pop I-Coati Mundai
10) Stool Pidgin

That is just in the United States, more in Europe.
That also is a lot more then"2/3" hits!!

Post subject: Forgot One
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:37 pm 

Oh, I forgot one, THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO I
By Machine!!

Post subject: The World's Coolest Man!!
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:09 am 

Kid Creole is the World's Coolest Man. He looks so sexy and handsome in that classic Zoot Suit. He must have thousands of them. Want to talk about great music. I don't know where some people had their heads in, but it wasn't into the music. Kid Creole had many Disco hits, and his popularity continues to grow. The problem is exposure. There has been very little exposure of Kid Creole songs. MY MALE CURIOSITY is a classic example. It was from the movie AGAINST ALL ODDS, and owning that movie is a complete waste, except for the scene where Kid Creole performs. The record was on Atlantic Records, but that was not the KID'S label. So it wasn't promoted at all. In fact, I never have seen any promotion for any of his recordings. Was there a more classic disco song then THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO I, or DEPUTY OF LOVE. Yes, CHER CHEZ LA FEMME and I'LL PLAY THE FOOL. All the work of August Darnell.

Post subject: PINK LADY
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:56 am 

If this is who I think it is, Rosie? I just KNOW it is. So this is a very small world indeed. From what I have read, you have gotten better with age. Guys, I was a doorman/bouncer at Club Mystique, and always opened the door to this firecat. She is more than than anyone here can handle. - I see you still a Kid Creole fan. He is cool, but I look better in my Zoot Suit! Remember that VATO!

Post subject: The Coconuts
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:26 am 

I tell you, those Coconuts are some hot looking mamitas. They are really great looking females. Fantastic legs!! But Arm Pit hair?? The Kid is sooo cool that he don't need air-conditioning. He can dance too, he gotta have a little PR blood in him!

Post subject: The Kid!!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:54 pm 

I should have known that there would be a thread on Kid Creole here, after all, Pete Denis is here. He is religiously devoted to this character. And he is a character. One of the most self-centered men ever. But he is extremely talented. It was Pete, who else, who turned me on to his favorite song. It was a great record, but only in MYSTIQUE was it the biggest song of the year!
That place absolutely loved that song!! My Male Curiosity!! Incredible! But true!

Post subject: Re: The Kid!!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:15 pm 

Dj Jimmy Martinez wrote:
One of the most self-centered men ever. But he is extremely talented.

I talked to the man two years ago (yes Pete I did-LOL) and he was very friendly. Of course my male curiosity took me to the Coconuts, gorgeous girls! You see, if you approach stars in a respectful way they usually are very cool!

PETE'S NOTE:: THE COCONUTS!! Great God almighty!! What LOOKERS! Fantastic legs!! But the hair under the arm-pits????

Post subject: The Kid!!
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:50 pm 

BIO TIME- Thanks To Soul-Boy!

Kid Creole 'BRUTUS T FIREFLY'

Kid Creole & The Coconuts were born in 1979. The parent: Dr. Buzzard’s Original Savannah Band. But the parent was also the child. August Darnell was a bassist, lyricist, and background vocalist for Dr. Buzzard. His brother Stony Browder, Jr. was the mastermind. The Doctor to be exact. Sibling rivalry was the direct cause for the eventual demise of the Savannah Band and the rise of Kid Creole. The brothers were very competitive and each wanted to prove to the other that he could do it alone. In fact, neither one was really alone. Stony kept Cory Daye, the smooth, sultry vocalist whose dulcet tones and distinct style had already helped the brothers achieve a number one hit (‘Chechez La Femme’); August drafted the manic Suger-Coated Andy Hernandez (who became Coati Mundi) and as a result gained an excellent arranger, incomparable showman and comic-foil (for the legendary live shows). And so the brothers parted. Since that day August Darnell has fronted one of the hardest working bands in show business. Kid Creole and The Coconuts have played thousands of shows, recorded 12 albums, spawned 4 greatest hits collections, been featured on six film soundtracks, and showcased in three feature films not to mention the countless television shows (from England’s Top Of The Pops to America’s The Tonight Show with prestigious ‘specials’ such as the Barry Manilow one and their very own made-for-TV musical There’s Something Wrong in Paradise, thrown in for good measure). Nowadays the band is celebrating their 26th Anniversary quite a feat when you consider how quickly musical tastes change these days. And now, Mr. Darnell, a.k.a Kid Creole, after all the gold and platinum albums, all the concerts, all the travels around the world, all the special events, all the accolades and awards…what remains to be done? What is left to achieve? Perhaps the answer is blowing in the wind. In 1997 August Darnell managed to find himself back in the theatre world he had abandoned way back in 1973. August majored in drama at Hofstra University way back then. His dream was to become a thespian. But along came the Vietnam War and the draft forced him to adopt a ‘legitimate’ major (English/Literature). So instead of acting, he turned to teaching to make a living. When he tired of the pedantic ways of the New York City school administration (and tired of his bohemian brother heckling him for taking a ‘9-5’), he heeded the alluring call of the wild. In 1975 Rock N’ Roll sucked him out of the comfortable, predictable, conventional world of education and catapulted him into the unconventional, unpredictable, unstable world of Rock N’ Roll. And he never looked back. Fast-forward twenty four years to 1997 and we find Mr. D. involved in a musical theatre experience in of all places, Blackpool, England! ‘A chance to return to my theatre roots’, he smiled. And smiled and smiled. For now in the year 2008 over 1,000 performances later, we find August Darnell once again cheerfully creating the role of D.J. Brutus T. Firefly for the 11th year in that musical tribute to the glorious 70s known as Oh! What A Night. And so, yet another alias for Mr. Darnell (from Kid Creole to Brutus T Firefly). Yet another detour? Or perhaps just a circuitous route back home. Maybe a dream deferred can actually be a dream achieved, after all.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:26 pm 

Hey Pete,

Check this out!

Went to visit my father today! was sitting in his den listening to the likes of Prez Prado, Louis Prema & Xaviar Cugat and lovin it and then he pulled out something quite extrodinary..the albums "Doppleganger" & "Tropical Gangsters" by the Kid...What can you say!..my father is 70 and still keeping it real! Got the albums from a charity shop for £1.00 a piece. (about $1.80 each)

KID CREOLE & THE COCONUTS hits in the UK,

"ME NO POP I" No.32 - 1981
"IM A WONDERFUL THING BABY" No.4 - 1982
"STOOL PIGEON" No.7 - 1982
"ANNIE IM NOT YOUR DADDY" No.2 - 1982
"DEAR DADDY" No.29 - 1982
"THERES SOMETHING WRONG IN PARADISE" No.35 - 1983
"THE LIFEBOAT PARTY" No.49 - 1983
"THE SEX OF IT " No.29 - 1990

Post subject: There is a reason he lives over there.
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:04 pm 

There is a reason that Kid Creole lives over in the UK. He was well received, and appreciated there. Here in the states, he is always seen as un-usual, an eccentric. Never reached his potential over here. In fact, just check out what Chulo has to say, and you can see what I mean. As you guys, and your dad, know, he is very special, and his live shows are top of the line. consider yourselves lucky!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:19 pm 

For Europe Kid Creole was always a great musician a and producer with strong commercial apeal and also a respected CULT person!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:59 am 

Let's give Pete a pleasant Sunday with this beautiful/classy pic!

Post subject: SHE GOT LEGGS
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:07 am 

AND SHE KNOWS HOW TO USE THEM!! OHH, Those Coconuts!! I really would love them for a special Pete Denis Pina-Colada! I would crack them open, and ... well, you know!! Thanks STARR, you really know what I like! BTW, at JAY'S house, I heard THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO I, by KID CREOLE & THE COCONUTS! Question? Which came first, MACHINE'S VERSION or The Kid's version. Jay says it was MACHINE. I think that The Kid put it out a few weeks ahead of MACHINE?? You Know for sure??

Post subject: TBFTGOG
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:17 am 

Machine came out in 1979.
Kid's version in 1980.
Positive.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:22 am 

Yep, Jay's right. The track was written in 1979 under his real name Thomas Browder, together with Kevin Nance.

Here's the Kid's version (very different from Machine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9TO4iYL-9I

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » DISCO » Artists