Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: Let's Talk About My Favorite Artist, KID CREOLE!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:03 am 

Let me say a few words about my All-Time FAVORITE artist, August Darnell Jr. A.K.A. KID CREOLE--- I think that if he would have kept his head on straight, no drugs, we would be talking about him as The All-Time Best Disco Artist. Besides Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band, he was responsible for GENE & DANA"Dario, Can You Get me Into Studio 54"(which he wrote when he was refused entrance into the New York Club in 1977). He was behind Don Armando's Second Avenue Rumba Band(Deputy of Love). He was MACHINE and penned "There But For The Grace Of God Go I". He produced CRISTINA, COATI MUNDAI and of course, he eventually became KID CREOLE & THE COCONUTS. His music was always different and at times unusual. From the Zoot Suit look of Dr Buzzards, to the incredibly original "Disco" music that sounded as if it came from the 30's or 40's. The KID kept you on your toes, never knowing what he would be doing next. THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD is recognized by even the Disco hating critics, as a socially revelant song. It was called the ONLY Disco song that had a deep meaning. -- For those that do not know, he, and his crew were big heroin and cocaine users. Their erratic behavior made them clash constantly with their record labels. They missed performances, gigs, and dates. In the studio, their behavior was called a "Zoo". When they did make it on stage, they performed under the influence, and their shows suffered BIG TIME!!-- How great would they have been?

Post subject: KID CREOLE A.K.A. AUGUST DARNELL Jr.
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:28 am 

I know that he is Pete's favorite, but I think that he would never had been as big as Pete thinks he would have been if he stayed straight. He did not have that many hits as KID CREOLE. In fact, only MY MALE CURIOSITY was big. I know that in the early 70's, Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band was great, and that their label stopped "pushing" them because of drugs. But were they that good?

Post subject: You Know How I Feel About Him!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:29 am 

In a word ED,

YES!!

Post subject: I love him too!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:45 am 

While not as fanatical as Pete, I too love The Kid. I thought that Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band was the BOMB. That they failed to perform ruined them. They failed to show up at PETE & LENNY'S for a television taping once. At the LIMELIGHT they were booed off the stage because they kept screwing up. Maybe if there were no drugs?? Who really knows? BTW, am I the only one who recalls that "Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band" was originally called DR BUZZARD'S ORIGINAL SAVANNAH "BRASS" BAND??

Post subject: I found something.......
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:06 pm 

Guys, I found something of a "Hidden Gem" of an album, that has KID CREOLE all over it. Before he was THE KID, but so way ahead of it's time. It is the first appearance of The COCONUTS sound, and girls(possibly). It is a 1980 album by CRISTINA Monet called CRISTINA. And at the next RANCH HOUSE session, I will be featuring it! You'll love it!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:59 pm 

Aah, Cristina, one of the lesser known Disco (Not Disco) queens. "Disco Clone", "Blame It On Disco", "Baby You Can Drive My Car" were more Wave with Disco-elements than pure D.

Maybe not for the clubs but in smaller and selected venues they work remarkably well as they are very pleasant to hear, although not that fit for da floor.

As for the Kid, great talent and a warm friendly person as long as you don't take his Coconuts, which was very hard for me when I met them some time ago. Beautiful girls.

I always like the kid. His attitude, his concepts and above all his songs. "My Male Curiosity" didn't do much in Europe but, boy, did he have many hits. "Stool Pigeon", "Annie, I'm Not Your Daddy", "I'm A Wonderful Thing", "Endicott", they all were and are floorfillers over here.

Great artist!

Post subject: All True!
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:48 pm 

Starr,
The KID never received his due, his props. "My Male Curiosity" was not much of a hit here either. I mean, for me it was the song of the Decade. But it was never on the Radio,except when I played it, and not many deejays reported it, so it was never charted. I remember Bill Kelly & Richard McVay who ran the FLAMINGO RECORD POOL, Miami's Gay Record Pool, constantly being amazed that week after week, month after month, I reported and charted that song. They would tell me that I was the only guy playing it! But a friend of ours, told me that , indeed, he and several other Miami Deejays played it. But not with my enthusiasm. The other songs you mentioned, I played them, but they did not work too well. STOOL PIDGIN was really big for me too. I sort of forced it down their throats, usually wrapping it with two BIGGER HITS so they learned to love it. As for Cristina, I will play six tracks of hers in my next set at The Ranch House. She never made it here. We AMERICANS, So stupid!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:30 am 

Maybe it's interesting to see recent clip, where August is performing your favourite song in Italy. It is know there, but like you said, unfortunately it never charted, too bad because it's a MONSTERJAM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf3zhVfMHgs

And check out this DVD, awesome!

Post subject: The Kid
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:31 am 

I remember sneaking into MYSTIQUE once, and Pete played MY MALE CURIOSITY, and everyone ran for the floor. I had it, but took a pass on playing it. But after I saw the reaction when Pete played it, that I added it to my rotation that night. I reported it to BILLBOARD for about six to eight weeks. A really great song.

Post subject: Oh Yeah!!
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:42 am 

Thank you STARR, that is great. Is he not the world's greatest entertainer. I loved when he had his COCONUTS and the Full Orchestra behind him. Lets face it, he has to be the COOLEST DUDE IN THE PLANET. He makes that Zoot Suit come alive. I wish that a Zoot Suit would look so good on me. Anytime I want to hear this, and see this, I will come right back here(that should be at least 5 times a day!!! Again, thank you STARR, God Bless you!

Post subject: Re: Oh Yeah!!
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:27 am 

Pete Denis wrote:
I loved when he had his COCONUTS and the Full Orchestra behind him.

You mean this (superfunkycalifragilistic) tour? I saw 'em live in the mid 80's and it was....COOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ST-mVTma-E

Great man as long as you follow this simple rule!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2YPqGv3vPM

>>>>> http://www.kidcreole.com/

Post subject: thank you again
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:45 am 

Starr,
. This is even sweeter. Thank you again. I already sent him a message. Let's see what develops. You see Coati Mundai, and Andy Hernandez playing!! They were great!

Post subject: Great Stuff!
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:41 pm 

STARR,
Love this stuff about Kid Creole. He is one really COOL guy isn't he. He has attitude on and off stage. You think that he is as arrogant with family & friends? Bet he is!

Post subject: The Kid
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:09 pm 

One largely overlooked song that came from the Kid was:

"IN THE CRIME OF LIFE" by Funkapolitan
written, produced & arranged by August Darnell.
Came out in spring of '82---Dynomite Track!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:02 pm 

PETE YOU HAVE TO BE PRETTY OLD TO LIKE KID CREOLE, ME I DONT CARE MUCH FOR THAT BALLROOM TYPE OF MUSIC HE SHOULD HAVE WENT ON THE I LOVE LUCY SHOW TOO, I GUES YOU GOT TO GO BACK TO THE EARLY 70'S TO RELATE, MAYBE HAD 2/3 GOOD SONGS AT MOST..

Board index » DISCO » Artists