Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: DISCO/DANCE MUSIC HALL OF FAME
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:46 am 

It was a great idea to have a Dance Music Hall Of Fame to recognize our predeccessors. It got off the ground for 2 years but stopped because of FUNDING. These guys could not get the money together. It doesn't mean we have to stop recognizing our past.

Here are the artists, producers, songs & DJs that have been voted to the Dance Music Hall Of Fame:

ARTISTS:
*BEE GEES
*CHIC
*GLORIA GAYNOR
*SYLVESTER
*BARRY WHITE

RECORD INDUCTEES:
"DISCO INFERNO" - The Trammps
"DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY" - Thelma Houston
"GOOD TIMES" - Chic
"GOT TO BE REAL" - Cheryl Lynn
"I FEEL LOVE" - Donna Summer
"I WILL SURVIVE" - Gloria Gaynor
"LOVE IS THE MESSAGE" - MFSB
"SHAME" - Evelyn King
"STAYIN' ALIVE" - BeeGees
"YOU MAKE ME FEEL MIGHTY REAL" - Sylvester

PRODUCERS:
*QUINCY JONES
*KENNY GAMBLE & LEON HUFF
*GIORGIO MORODER & PETE BELLOTTE
*NILE RODGERS & BERNARD EDWARDS

DJ INDUCTEES:
*'JELLYBEAN' BENITEZ
*FRANCOIS KERVORKIAN
*FRANKIE KNUCKLES
*LARRY LEVAN
*DAVID MANCUSO
*TEE SCOTT

REMIXER INDUCTEES:
*TOM MOULTON
*FRANCOIS KERVORKIAN

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENY (NON PERFORMER)
*HENRY STONE
*MEL CHERIN

Now we really can't argue about the people that are in already (we can if you want to <Jellybean>)---but there in! But we CAN come up with nominations of our own & why!!!!!
(one apiece to start)

I will start off with nominating THE TRAMMPS as disco artists, on their own records and for the records they was on 'behind the scene'.

I nominate NORMAN HARRIS to the Hall as a producer for his whole body of work. The O'Jays, First Choice, Trammps, Blue Magic, MFSB, Double Exposure, Salsoul Orch., Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes with Teddy, Loleatta Holloway, Dan Hartman, The Whispers, The Intruders, and more & more.

DJ---> I nominate WALTER GIBBONS. I never seen a DJ work a TRI-AMP system like him!!---had the crowd screaming!!!!

Remixer--->JIM BURGESS---best remixes besides the fellows in the Hall already!! All clean, great bass, great intros & momentum!!!!!!!

SONG INDUCTEE---> "TEN PERCENT" by Double Exposure. This 12" had movement, clarity, great music & singing---and was the first 12" released commercially (history was made)

Non-Performers are not my bag! I don't know who to nominate.

WHO'S NEXT? GIVE IT SOME THOUGHT

Post subject: Good Concept, poor execution
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:06 am 

Jay,
I thought this was great idea. Then I saw the results, it should be called, THE NEW YORK CITY DISCO HALL OF FAME. While all the categories are argumentative, it is extremely self-serving to New York City. ONLY NEW YORK DEEJAYS qualify? Do you actually think that the very best deejays in the Disco era were solely in New York City? That is arrogant and ignorant. And JAY, I am ranting, not talking to you specifically. You may not have been to as many Discos as me, especially outside New York. Let me tell you, there were GREAT deejays everywhere I went. In Birmingham, Alabama, I went to club in the basement of a Hotel, the deejay totally rocked. He was amazing! Never got his name. In Dallas, Texas I once heard a deejay using four turn-tables do things I never did. I later copied him , his name, Joe Whothefuknows. In London, there were a couple of guys doing things with records New York City deejays never attempted. In Cancun, a Mexican deejay played some of the latest music in 1979, and remixed every song. His name, Ed Whothefuknows! A distant cousin of JOE! You get my drift?? The best Deejay I ever heard live, was Jimmy Burgess.He belongs there. But the second best, and the third & fourth best were not from New York! Understand. So if it truly was the real thing, I would support it. But it isn't! When all the bugs are worked out, call me!! --- I won't support the "New York Myth" any longer!! And I am a New Yorker! But I tend to be logical and realistic. Something most of us in the Disco world are not!

Post subject: Stop Hatin!!!
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:22 am 

Hey bro, why be such a grouch?
I didn't make this up! This is true stuff!
These DJs were inducted. So what? Don't be a hater----nominate someone who truly deserves it then!

What about the music? The artists? The producers? They are not NYC ONLY!
I know you will nominate "The Kid" for artist, producer, and lifetime achievement!!!! (lol)

Post subject: TRUE!!
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:43 am 

YES!! I am laughing out loud!! You are right!! I was a hater there wasn't I!! Sorry hermano!! My bad. But you see where I am coming from. I wish I could nominate The KID, but..... there are others too!---- WHERE IS DONNA SUMMER on That list?-- Let's nominate her for ARTIST! FOR SONG!!-- ZODIACS by Roberta Kelly, and HOT SHOT by Karen Young! For Producer, I will second your nomination! For DEEJAY- Bobby Vitteritti--- REMIXER, I LOVE your choice! Jimmy Burgess!--- LIFETIME Achivement, your friend RAY, I forget his last name, the promoter who got his own label. For biggest DICK-- ME!!!

Post subject: HE HE HE
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:31 am 

LOL-- PETE WENT ON A RANT!! That happens every now and then. This New York thing has been bothering Pete for a while. He is right, how come it is so pro-New York? Anyhow, I nominate as deejay -- SCOTT BLACKWELL, he has been great in four US cities!! SONG-- TANGERINE & BRAZIL & THE HUSTLE!! And I agree with Jay's other choices. Pete, his name is RAY CAVIANO!!

Post subject: FUNNY!!
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:38 am 

Now you know why you are not invited to THE RANCH HOUSE!! I had a momentary "fit". At least I didn't ...... never mind!! Have your laugh, it is all good!!

Post subject: Crap!
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:52 pm 

This was a good idea, but it is extremely pro-New York. The Hall does not exist, only on paper, so it is a bunch of crap. I could also call my list of favorites, a HALL OF FAME? I am not a hater, but this is not something that was well organized, nor does it actually have members. It is an opinion that somebody had. So don't take it as something that is a real entity!

Post subject: Hall Of Fame
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:12 pm 

Sorry Billy Bob. I didn't know that it didn't exist. I got my info from Wilkipedia. I thought I was doing good research. It had an extensive list of board members. I also Googled "Disco Hall of Fame" and got pictures from the 2 Induction Ceremonys that did indeed happen. It was well attended by executives, DJs, and also included live performences by Hall of Fame artists. It said that it had to be discontinued because of "lack of funds". That means somebody fucked up the money. Maybe now it is only on paper, but it seems to me that these people did get elected, and it was just more than one persons opinion.

I'm just trying to start our own Hall Of Fame right here at Disco-Disco.com. We could do that can we???

Post subject: Where?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:29 pm 

There is no building called the DISCO HALL OF FAME. We can't go visit it. It was a project that lasted a few years, yes it had Ceromonies, and awards. But no actual location, to go and visit. A "Concept", but purely idealistic. there was no benefactor shelling out money for an actual"Hall". Our own DISCO HALL OF FAME would be just as powerful!! Just as obtuse too. Our HALL would at least have a PAGE!! So we might do one soon! DISCO-DISCO HALL OF FAME, our first inductee......... Why, come on..... it will be.........

KID CREOLE!!

Board index » DISCO » Artists