Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: Disco on Tour
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:23 pm 

Several several years ago, Disco seemed to be the 'new hype' here in Belgium. Everywhere there was Disco parties with live performances... I saw for example Boney M. ( 3 times ), The Trammps, Carl Douglas, Baccara ( dutch group ), Village People, Eruption, Earth Wind & Fire, Kool & the Gang,...

Today, they seem to have dissapeared again... :cry: Are any of the above or other Disco Kings/Queens still performing in US ?

Recently I made a phonecall to the Village People Record label ( i don't know the exact name anymore ), as I had an original flyer from the 70's to join the Village People Fanclub... The Guy from the record co told me that Village people is making a come-back in the US ( especially the cowboy )...Maybe he was joking, but maybe not... I was wondering if there are still disco legends performing live in the us ???

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:21 pm 

NO MOST HAVE FADED WITH THE TIMES, YOU SEE SOME ON TV/SHOWS OR SPECIAL EVENTS WHO WILL SING A COUPLE OF SONG AND TAKE US BACK IN TIME...

Post subject: Oldies Circuit
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:52 pm 

For Decades, many decades. There has been something called the Oldies circuit. When Disco was King, that would be groups like The Sherrielles, The Platters and The Dominoes and other 50's staples. As the decades passed it has since been dominated by Disco acts now. They will play at County Fairs, Carnivals, Race Tracks, and Baseball Parks( before or after the games) any place that wants them. And somebody should always want them! Free Concerts sometimes, others a $5 or $10 cover charge. They are sometimes not the complete group, but 1 or two of the original members. Sometimes they are All of them. They perform, but without that PASSION that used to dominate true Disco music. Recently, in the stadium where The Florida Marlins play. I didn't see, but I know they were there; there had been extensive advertising. KC And The Sunshine Band Performed. I have seen the Bluenotes, Gloria Gaynor and any others. But this goes on everywhere, in every state. If lets say, in Colorado, where he lives, There is an event, you might find Thomas Dolby. In LA, at a street fair, WAR may perform. Plus others such as Patti Austin and Donna Summer have long since been established mainstream performers. Recently, Donna had a free concert on live TV in NYC. So Yes, if they live, they want and try to perform and get paid. As you will see and read about in the future, sometimes they release a song decades after they passed away! Disco still is around, and it is everywhere!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:34 pm 

Artists & acts from the disco era are still consistley touring round the UK. in the last year alone i have seen the likes of The Tavares, The Three Degrees, George McCrae, Odessey, The Real Thing, Jocelyn Brown and Kid Creole who is the lead in the stage production of the musical "Oh What A Night!"

Soul-Boy

Post subject: You Are So Lucky!!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:04 pm 

See, it is true, England Swings!! You are so lucky. I would love to see stuff like that here. You were seven for seven in fantastic, great acts. And the KID on stage!! WOW ---- Welcome Soul Boy!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:13 pm 

Forgot to mention that i seen George Benson on his world tour a couple of months back in Edinburgh......he tore the roof off!......not quite sure if you boys over the pond would class him as disco though?

Post subject: BENSON
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:22 pm 

While George Benson classifies himself as a Jazz artist, he had more then a few Disco hits. What is an English Soul boy doing in Scotland?? You tavel that island a lot I guess!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:04 pm 

The Village People are touring but with a different line-up. The cowboy, Randy Jones is indeed bringing out new material like "Your Disco Needs You". People like D-Train have worked with Bob Sinclar and the mighty Cerrone, Donna Summer and Kid Creole have given great concerts in Belgium in recent years.

Chic is even a regular guest in your Kingdom with a lot of success when they are on the bill. Grace Jones was at the Lokerse Feesten, so a lot of our heroes are still performing and respected.

Bobby Farell is touring with Boney M. 1 and Boney M. 2, consisting of the other original members is also on the road a lot. The Gibson Brothers do Belgium, The Commodores, etc.

BTW, Baccara is from Spain :-)

Post subject: SH**
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:22 pm 

And All we get here is Jimmy"BO" Horne!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:22 pm 

Peter,
Only a 2&1/2 hr drive from Newcastle to Edinburgh. As sadly we have lost alot of great performers & artists from the disco era, you never quite sure if you will get the oppurtunity to see great disco acts perform again so you have to seize the day so to speak and go and see em when the oppurtunity presents its self! Nothing better than a live performance, so i travel anywhere in the UK and europe when i get the chance!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:26 pm 

The UK still got it going on,

Check this out guys!

BILLY OCEAN live @Newcastle City Hall Oct 8th 2008

LEVEL 42 live @Newcastle City Hall Oct 14th 2008

THE TEMPTATIONS live@The Sage Gateshead (Newcastle) Nov 11th 2008

All wthin a month or so and a 15 min drive from my home to boot!

You gotta be feeling that Jay, Pete and all music lovers out there!

I am surely blessed!

Post subject: city hall
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:30 pm 

Hey soul-Boy? NEWCASTLE CITY HALL? In The US, City Hall means whare the municipal government is located at. Same thing there? So where do they perform, n top of the Mayor's desk?? LOL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:44 pm 

Over here its a little bit different my friend.

City Hall is quite simply an old style music hall venue which was built back in Victorian times (1840-1901). There is about a 100+ dotted around the UK. The acoustics always sound great in thes places!

Here end'th the lesson!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:59 pm 

Soul-Boy wrote:
you never quite sure if you will get the oppurtunity to see great disco acts perform again so you have to seize the day so to speak and go and see em when the oppurtunity presents its self!

Too true .......glad I got to see Edwin Star when I was in the UK years ago.

Just seen Roy Ayres & I'm going to see Stevie 8) Wonder in October.

Last time he toured Oz it was 1981 :!:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:26 pm 

pflext,

Great minds think alike;

Edwin Starr was like a god to me. Saw him perform live 14 times in a 15 year period on what we call THE NORTHERN SOUL circuit. Forget James Brown as "The hardest working man in showbuisness"..i know a bold statement!....but when this man settled in the UK his touring and performing was non stop all the way up till his un-timely death.He was the the warmest man i ever met and always greeted you with his trade-mark smile. I still think that his tracks from the disco era, never got the true credit they deserved in the UK...CONTACT & H.A.P.P.Y RADIO are magnificent foot stomping floor fillers to me!

As for ROY AYRES......I was never "RUNNING AWAY" from his music! He was the bomb too!

Board index » DISCO » Artists