Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: BEST/FAVORITE DISCO PRODUCERS
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:11 pm 

One Favorite Topic/Discussion/Argument of mine is Favorite Producers:
Here is my list (off the top of my head)

1- Baker, Harris & Young (also Norman Harris solo productions)
2- Vince Montana
3- Gamble & Huff

do we see a pattern here?

4- Patrick Adams & Greg Carmichael
5- Leroy Burgess
6- Georgio Moroder & Pete Bellotte
7- Richie Rome
8- Jacques Pietrus
9-Don Ray/Cerrone
10- Nile Rodgers & Bernard Edwards
11- Reid (I forgot the names of the producers that did Crown Heights Affair, Unlimited Touch, Empress, & Denroy Morgan)

There are many more that are on the tip of my tongue.

Post subject: Leave some for us!!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:38 pm 

JAY!!
What did you leave us with?? You mentioned most of them!---LEWIS MARTINEE(Techno-Lust and EXPOSE) won a Grammy as Producer of the year in the 80's!! He was a DISCO TO DEATH sort of guy, a former deejay too!
I know a few more, but lets see if others can answer with them. Share the pie so to speak.-- Pete

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Mmmmm...
Love to see all those names you list Jay.
Can think of a few others like;

Henri Belolo & Jacques Morali (Ritchie Family, Village People, Patrick Juvet, Dennis Parker, BreakMachine [!!!], Eartha Kitt and others).
Dillard & Boyce (Constellation Orch., Lorraine Johnson, Saturday Night Band and more)

OK - Room for others to add people... :wink:

//Discoguy

Post subject: 2 MORE
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:03 pm 

Gregg Diamond-->Andrea True, Bionic Boogie
William Lester & Rodney Brown-->Sharon Redd, Gayle Adams

Post subject: Got A Diamond
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:47 pm 

Thanks JR, you reminded me of another DIAMOND, JOEL DIAMOND. I don't think they are related, and Joel didn't have as many BIG records!

Post subject: I thought this would be a HOT TOPIC forum
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:50 pm 

More Disco Producers:

QUINCY JONES:Brothers Johnson, Michael Jackson, Patti Austin, James Ingram

EUMIR DEODATO: Kool & The Gang, himself

ASHFORD & SIMPSON: Chaka Kahn, Dynamic Superiors, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight & The Pips and themselves!

There are many more that haven't even got mentioned on this site!!!

Post subject: Tell Us More!!
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:02 pm 

JJ,
Tell us more! How many were there? Who produced TINA CHARLES? How about JOHN DAVIS? FRANKIE VALLI???

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:59 pm 

BOB CREWE produced Frankie Valli's "My Eyes Adored You" LP (Private Stock label) which included the smash "Swearin To God". He also had his own group-->'The Bob Crewe Connection' aka BCC, that had a smash 12" called "STREET TALK" (20th Century label-1975). Bob was known for his down-tempo 110 BPM type beats with a very lush arrangements. Strings LAMF!!!!

Tina Charles was a British singer that got discovered by NYC DJs because she was produced by BIDDU; who was on a roll of his own with no less than 3 disco hits in 1975-1976. His band was called The Biddu Orchestra. His biggest hits was in 1975 with "Summer of '42" and "Jump For Joy", 2 blazing instumental-height of the night hustle songs. All of his records were released in the UK first (CBS-UK) and then discovered by NYC DJs. When Biddu came out with the Tina Charles single it was a great departure from his signature style---->133 BPM and up!! Tina's smash hit, "You Set My Heart On Fire", came rolling in at around 105 BPM. Lots of DJs played it with "Fly Robin Fly" (Silver Bird/Silver Convention) and the like. It was also imported from the UK by record stores in NYC like Downstairs Records who catered to club DJs. Columbia/Epic blew the promotiuon of both Tina Charles & Biddu Orch. in my eyes because they released the songs in the states WAY AFTER they were smashes in the clubs. Tina Charles' jam was released 6 months after; Biddu's "Jump For Joy" 8 months after. When the songs finally came out in the states it was almost all played out in the clubs. At that time Columbia/CBS was one of the last record companies to believe in the power of the Disco DJ.
Biddu also produced another NY club banger titled "I AM SOMEBODY" by Jimmy James & The Vagabonds (Pye 45-UK, l976)

JOHN DAVIS was a Sigma Sound (Philadelphia) successful record producer before he became an artist on his own.
His club hits that he produced included:

"BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU GOT"-William DeVaughn (Roxbury-45)
"I'M IN HEAVEN"-A Touch Of Class (Midland Int.-12")
"I'M DOIN FINE NOW"-New York City (Chelsea-45--an RCA subsidiary)
"JUST CAN'T SAY GOODBYE"-Philly Devotions(CBS 45-Tom Moulton mix)
"HURT SO BAD"-Philly Devotions (CBS 45-Tom Moulton mix)
"WHEN LOVE IS NEW"-Arthur Prysock (Sam-12")

(There must have been more! I just cannot think now.)
Then he had his own projects with JOHN DAVIS & THE MONSTER ORCH. (which was another re-incarnation of MFSB/SALSOUL ORCH)
including: 'AIN'T THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU", "LOVE MAGIC", & "UP JUMPED THE DEVIL" (the first one on CBS/Sam-12", the last 2 on Sam-12")

Post subject: JJ-- CHECK THIS OUT!!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:12 pm 

My friend, you are so cool. This is RIGHT on. Hit the nail on the head. People, listen to Jay, he knows his SHIT!! -- TINA CHARLES, GOD BLESS THAT WONDERFUL TALENT, her album, and her tour of New York(Supposed to be for 4 weeks, ended up being over 4 months) was fantastic, sensational. I played almost every cut from it, for almost a year, every night. Originally the lead vocalist for a DISCO group called "5000 Volts", it was BIDDU who captured her talent and made it a happening. She still tours Europe to this day.---- JOHN DAVIS was a personal friend, whose home base became the MIDLAND Studios in NYC. He too, was a staple at many DISCOS. I Loved his NIGHT & DAY LP that was DISCO versions of old Cole Porter songs. One of my favorite LPS of all time. Tina Charles' is too! Good work Jr.- PETE

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:44 pm 

See? my memory is fading! I blocked out "Night & Day". I used to play the hell out of that jam!!!! Thanks Pete!

Post subject: HOT SHOT
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:49 pm 

JJ,
HOT SHOT by Karen Young!! Her producer, excellent!! His name?? I actually know it!! ANDY KAHN!! He is coming out with a new Karen Young song!-- She has been dead for over a decade!! More on him soon, I hope!!

Post subject: Hot Shot
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:31 pm 

Masters At Work (Louie Vega & Kenny Gonzalez) did an excellent, HOT HOT remix of Karen Young's "HOT SHOT".
It was on the "WEST END'S 25th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL" which came out in 2002. That's a collection that every DJ should have on CD or vinyl. When it came out they had a special box set 12 pack with each song (24) on 12" vinyl. Hard to find now. If you look, you can probably find the mixed double CD. It has updated, remixed, remastered versions of: Karen Young, 3 Taana Gardner joints, Peech Boys, North End, Ednah Holt, Michelle, and more! A Real Classic!

Post subject: BIDDU
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:20 pm 

I love everything that BIDDU did. especially with Tina Charles! James Carmichael too. His work with the COMMODORES is legendary. JOHNNY BRISTOL was pretty good too!

Post subject: Johnny Bristol
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:44 pm 

JOHNNY BRISTOL is a most wonderful & dynamic talent even before his "Hang On In There Baby" days. He has more than several #1 songs to his credit. He was part of a writing & production team called "The Corporation" that was formed in Motown Records. They wrote & produced The first 4 Jackson 5 albums AND he wrote the smash Disco Hit:"LA-LA PEACE SONG" by O.C.Smith among others; READ ON his BIO:

"Though born in Morganton, NC, vocalist, composer, and producer Johnny Bristol began his career in Detroit and was a longtime force at Motown from 1961 to 1973. Bristol teamed with Jackey Beavers doing duets for Gwen Gordy's Tri-Phi label in Detroit during the early '60s. They cut the original version of "Someday We'll Be Together," which was remade by Diana Ross & the Supremes in 1969. Bristol was the session's producer, and also the male voice doing harmony.

Bristol was professionally and personally part of Motown, as he married Iris Gordy, and was also Harvey Fuqua's writing and production partner for several years. They co-produced Junior Walker & the All-Stars' remake of "How Sweet It Is" in 1966, then co-wrote and produced "What Does It Take." Bristol wrote and/or produced songs for Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, Smokey Robinson, David Ruffin, Edwin Starr, Michael Jackson, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Martha Reeves, Jimmy Ruffin, the Spinners, the Four Tops, and Stevie Wonder. "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," "25 Miles," "Help Me Make It Through The Night," "I Don't Want To Do Wrong," and "Yester-Me, Yester-You, Yesterday" were some of the songs featuring Bristol's input. He signed with MGM as a solo artist in 1974. His first single, "Hang On In There Baby," was his biggest; it was number two R&B and number-eight pop that year. Bristol enjoyed two more sizable hits for MGM, "You And I" and "Leave My World" in 1974 and 1975.

He moved to Atlantic in 1976, and scored his last hit with "Do It to My Mind," a number-five R&B record. The Osmonds also had a number one record in England with Bristol's "Love Me For a Reason." Bristol remade "Hang On in There Baby" as a duet with Alton McClain for Polydor in 1980, and did another duet with Amii Stewart titled "My Guy/My Girl" for Handshake. He recorded for England's Motorcity label, and scored a British hit with "Man Up in the Sky" in 1989. His last entry was "Come to Me" for Whichway in 1991. Bristol was also productive as a writer and producer in the '70s and '80s; Tavares, Buddy Miles, Tamiko Jones, Real Thing, O.C. Smith, and Margie Joseph recorded his compositions in the '70s, and Bristol produced a Four Tops remake of "I'm Ready for Love" in 1985, briefly returning to Motown. The veteran songwriter and producer passed away in March of 2004 at the age of 65."

That's why he is in my personal Disco-Hall Of Fame!!!!

Post subject: JJ Check this out
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:01 pm 

Jr. We think alike. I too love him and all he did!! One of my all time favorite songs is HANG ON IN THERE BABY. So I expect that that song will be on the list you are going to send me, right!!

Board index » DISCO » Artists