Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Early Girl Groups?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:39 pm 

Alright guys, remember all those early Disco days female groups. Usually three or four women giving us tons of great music. Can we name them all? The Three Degrees, The Emotions lead the way. What others?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:48 am 

I don't know if you know them, but we had Baccara...it was a dutch group, with big hits such as ' Sorry i'm a lady' & 'yes sir, i can boogie'... But maybe they did not reach US...

Post subject: As Imports
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:12 am 

Yes Tom, but only as Imports, that I know of. I may be wrong. I believe I never received it in a record pool. But I actually played them. Not hits here, but some places played them often. There must be thousands of songs that never made it over here. It was before the Internet!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:23 am 

ok, how about Sister Sledge...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:00 am 
Site Admin

Baccara's "Yes Sir, I Can Boogie" was released in the US on Manhattan Records (distributed by United Artists) in 1977.
I own this release - see also discogs info

//Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:04 am 

so I guess that I was a little bit right, right :D

Post subject: YES YOU WERE
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:15 pm 

Tom, you were most certainly right my friend. Keep them coming!

Post subject: Early Girl Groups
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:08 pm 

HONEY CONE
LABELLE
FIRST CHOICE
BRENDA & THE TABULATIONS
and who can forget THE SUPREMES

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:11 am 

Here are a few more for the collection:

Poussez
Moulin Rouge
Musique
The Ritchie Family

Post subject: High Inergy
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:25 am 

"You Can't Turn Me Off, Right In The Middle Of Turning Me On" was one of the biggest Slow Jams of the 70's. It received tons of air time nationally. This was one of their hits. There were others, I just forget at the moment.

Post subject: The Disco Era's Biggest Girl Band
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:01 pm 

The Disco Era's Biggest Girl Band? It has to be the girls that DARE YOU. It should be AUTOMATIC. JUMP up and do the NEUTRON DANCE. So BABY,COME AND GET IT, this was the very top Girl Group of it's time. I'M SO EXCITED. Tried to get this guy to dance with me in celebration, HE'S SO SHY! So you figured it out right!-- THE POINTER SISTERS.

Post subject: Disco Girl Band
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:27 pm 

I love The Pointer Sisters dance hits and even Bonnie's "HEAVEN MUST HAVE SENT YOU" but (you DARE ME?) I must put THE FIRST CHOICE way over them---look at this lineup:
"ARMED & EXTREMELY DANGEROUS"
"SMARTY PANTS"
"THE PLAYER"
"NEWSY NEIGHBORS"
"FIRST CHOICE THEME/AIN'T HE BAD"
"DOCTOR LOVE"
"HOLD YOUR HORSES"
"GREAT EXPECTATIONS"
"DOUBLE CROSS"
"LOVE THANG"
"LET NO MAN PUT ASUNDER (IT'S NOT OVER)"

All these songs were played in Heavy Rotation. Whenever they came out with a new release it was like AN EVENT for a DJ. (It was with me)

Post subject: Hold On, I'm Coming!
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:36 pm 

Hold on Jayski! True that there were more songs from THE FIRST CHOICE. But you really cannot compare the success of The Pointer Sisters with the success of The First Choice. Think about it this way, SALES! I think that I'M SO EXCITED alone out-sold all of those songs you listed. There is no doubt about it, it has to be the Pointer Sisters. How often was any First Choice song used in a Movie Soundtrack? Yet, I'M SO EXCITED was on a few. Even NEUTRON DANCE was in those Eddie Murphy movies, about a cop in Beverly Hills! The Pointer Sister blew away all other girl groups in the Disco Era! Am I wrong?

Post subject: SEE WHAT U STARTED, PINK LADY?
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:58 pm 

I thought we were talking about disco diva groups.

The Pointer Sisters were a POP group that had some club hits. Their producer, the prolific Richard Perry was doing Carly Simon records for GOD's sake.

First Choice was a Disco Diva group. They were backed up/produced by THE TRAMMPS/MFSB/SALSOUL. They had ONLY 2 pop hits, couple of minor soul hits and that's it---the rest were smash club anthems.

The Pointer Sisters started off pop/funk with "YES YOU CAN CAN" & "HOW LONG, BETCHA GOT A CHICK ON THE SIDE". (Couldn't dance to them) The first club worthy song by any Pointer Sister was done by Bonnie Pointer---"HEAVEN MUST HAVE SENT YOU". The rest may have done it fantastic on the radio, or movies or sales but on the dance floor in Tropicalia, Pegasus, or The RoofTop, First Choice were The Queens of Disco. And that was the case in any club.

Would you play "HE'S SO SHY" today or what about "JUMP"? NAH NOT ME!(I might still play "AUTOMATIC" but just the 12" version.)
"I'M SO EXCITED" was a flavor of the month uptempo blanquito song. Much like "FUNKYTOWN"-"FLY ROBIN FLY" etc.

I would still play "DOCTOR LOVE", "LOVE THANG" or "IT'S NOT OVER" and get a great response. No sales - no movies - no radio play, but a true DISCO DANCE SONG!!!

By the time "NEUTRON DANCE" was a hit the Disco club scene was disbursed into little pockets here & there.

Post subject: Jayski
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:57 am 

Hello Jay,
While you seem to be one cool dude, whose passion for disco is very evident, I can't agree with you. The Pointer Sisters were not a WHITE Pop act. These where sisters who loved to make people dance. I DARE YOU not to love HE'S SO SHY after playing it nice and loud. I'M SO EXCITED was a huge club hit, for almost two years, I got away with playing that song. BABY COME AND GET IT never got POP action. POP??? No Way. They were popular with the best of all races, their fans. You forget YOU BRING OUT THE BEAST IN ME, that song was great, no radio, few clubs. Listen to it all again, you might change your mind. Now, I don't think they were the best female group. That goes hands down to the Three Degrees. They were HUGE, beyond big. WABC radio in New York City played them! I remember i was not even 10 years old, hearing Cousin Bruce Morrow saying one day in the summer of 1973, "The Number One song this week, 'When Will I See You Again by The Three Degrees'".- Year of Decision was huge too. That whole Album opened the doors to many others that followed. Talent wise, there were three, THE EMOTIONS,SISTER SLEDGE and THE POINTER SISTERS. Only one girl's opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » DISCO » Artists