Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: Your Favorite Disco Artist
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:17 am 

This seems like a simple question, but I will complicate it a little for you. I want three answers, because it is a three part Question:

1) Favorite Male Artist-
2)Favorite Female Artist-
3)Favorite Group Act-

That is still pretty simple. Or is it? Think about it a little first, then GO!
My answers?
1)Favorite Male Artist-August Darnell Jr- I could say Barry White, or Frankie Valli, BUT it is KID CREOLE!!
2)Favorite Female Artist- Donna Summer- Who else? She was the Disco Diva!! In the Disco Era, she dominated, more hits than anyone else, especially at the beginning!
3)Favorite Group Act-This is tough! Could easily say The Trammps, they ruled early, John Davis too. The Ritchie Family, Salsoul Orchestra and VOYAGE were all awesome. But this is FAVORITE!! MY ALL TIME FAVORITE GROUP was DR BUZZARDS ORIGINAL SAVANNAH BAND- Later on it was Kid Creole and The Coconuts, But I'LL PLAY THE FOOL and CHER CHEZ LA FEMME were so cool, so innovative, so different. And their look!! GREAT

Last edited by Pete Denis on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Great God Almighty!!
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:31 am 

This is no simple question, you got to think. I had so many favorites. Well, here goes.
1) Male Artist- Barry White
2) Female Artist- Donna Summer
3) Group- The Trammps

Post subject: Favorite Artists
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:06 am 

This is a great site, calm and all about the music and the times. The other site is full abuse and aggression. Thank you Guys for being an alternative.--Now as for what I feel about my favorites. Easy for me.

1) Male Vocalist- Many choices, but I have to go with TEDDY PENDERGRASS
2) Female Vocalist- No Doubt, DONNA SUMMER
3) MFSB

Post subject: My favorites
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:15 pm 

This is very difficult question. I really can't solve this question for myself.
I can't choose only one. :? My answer is complex. So my decision:

1) Male Artists, who has vastly affected to a Disco - Gibb brothers, Moroder-Bellotte, Edwards & Rodgers, Petrus and Malavasi, Frank Farian, Cerrone and Costandinos, Stock-Aitken-Waterman, Dieter Bohlen, Marouani, Jacques Morali, Robert Orlando, Barry White, Maurice White, Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson.
That people wass not only faces on album covers. They was really powerful creators.

2) Female Artists is certainly the Disco-Diva's: Diana Ross, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor, Jocelyn Brown, Evelyn King, Norma Jean Wright, Stephanie Mills, Dalida, Deborah Harry, Chaka Khan, Sandra, C.C. Catch.
Epochal names. Pure glamour and chic!

3) Group is the most difficult...
But, here is: ABBA, Arabesque, Bee Gees, Boney M, Change, Chic, Chilly, Delegation, Earth, Wind & Fire, ELO, First Choice, Gibson Brothers, KC & The Sunshine Band, Kool & The Gang, MFSB, Modern Talking, O'Jays, Pointer Sisters, Ritchie Family, Salsoul Orchestra, Sister Sledge, Space, Village People.
This groups are shaped Disco as genre in the world.

Thereby this is my attempt to select the best from great ensemble of disco artists. It was hard to select... :roll:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:38 pm 

Difficult question but:

1.Cerrone : sex on vinyl. Class, finesse and style!
2.Donna Summer: was and is THE empress of Disco!
3.The Trammps: what can I say! One note by them and I'm on the dancefloor!

Post subject: WOW
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:23 am 

Starr Inc, that is three winners. Hard to find anything better. But I am such a sucker for THE KID!! Yours make more sense, BUT CHER CHEZ LA FEMME!! I PLAY THE FOOL FOR YOU- SUN SHOWER and that whole album simply stole my heart from the very first time I heard Ed "The Worm" Rothstein play it. Can't say the Trammps even though I really agree with you. My heart is DBOB, and the KID-- At least we got DONNA!!

Last edited by Pete Denis on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Here Is a DIFFERENT one!!
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:22 am 

Now, this is a very unique and different artist. LOL, no joke, I seriously love the vocals of Jimmy James. Don't know who he is?? Not who you guys are thinking of. Never mind, go see for yourself at http://www.myspace.com/jimmyjames

Yes, he can really sing. If I was still deejaying in a club, I would play this, but of course I would use two vinyl records and remix the songs!!-- Tell me what you think!!

Post subject: PETE
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:20 am 

A female impersonator?? He does have a good voice!!

Post subject: The Top 3 Categories?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:25 pm 

Very hard to choose, you know I'm all about the music; and there is LOTS that are the best!

Male----->Teddy Pendergrass

Female-->Loleatta Holloway

Group--->The Trammps

Teddy was chosen for his work with Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes as well as his 1st 2 solo albums.

Loleatta was chosen over Donna, Jocelyn, Gloria, & Chaka because her work is so powerful. Never has such a voice been sampled so much well into the '00s!

THE TRAMMPS: well no one has been on so many disco recordings than The Trammps. The Trammps' rhythm section: Ron Baker (bass), Norman Harris & Bobby Eli (guitars), and Earl Young (drums) have been on almost EVERY track from PhillyInternational Records from 1972-1975. This encompasses The O'Jays, Teddy, Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes, The 3 Degrees, Billy Paul, MFSB, and The Intruders. "On the side" they were doing ALL the music for: Ecstasy Passion & Pain, Blue Magic, Major Harris, Ultra High Frequency, Gloria Gaynor ("Honey Bee" only), Free Spirit, Mighty Clouds Of Joy, First Choice (on Philly Groove Records), and Archie Bell & The Drells.

When they quit MFSB and left Gamble & Huff at Philly International and went with Vince Montana to form Salsoul Orchestra they did all the music for Loleatta Holloway, First Choice, Double Exposure, and The Salsoul Orchestra. In addition to all The Trammps records.

I witnessed the first Trammps 'live' show (the end of '74) at the club I was working in--->The Playhouse. We hired them for $1100 dollars. They were the cheapest on the list. (Crown Heights wanted $1500). The Trammps had only 4 singles to date out at the time. (no LP's yet) "Zing", "Love Epidemic/Shout", "Where Do We Go From Here" and "Trusting Heart" just came out. I was expecting 4 dudes to sing and I would play the instrumentals for them to sing over. Sort of like the tv show American Bandstand. We were FLABBERGASTED to see 14 bandmembers show up. We almost didn't have enough room for all of them---they took up the whole dance floor! They were all there, Norman, Bobby, Ron, Earl, Jimmy Ellis, Robert Upchurch, Ron Kersey, T.G.Conway (with his baby grand piano), Larry Washington, EVERYBODY BUT VINCE MONTANA!!!! I was shittin in my pants! The first song they did was "Love Train". They played for 30 minutes before they played a Trammps song! They did "Look Me Up", "The Love I Lost", "We're On The Right Track", "Bad Luck" ----I was in Heaven!!!! Wish I would have taped it.

Since then I have seen their show several times but each time it was scaled down more. They stuck to their hits and less 'original' musicians would make the trip. Still-->TOP DISCO GROUP is an understatement!!!!

Post subject: The Trammps
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:38 pm 

They were the best, absolutely. At The Copa we paid them much more! And the same thing, first time 15 guys, second time 11, third time 9, and the shows got shorter. But the music was still great! But this is your FAVORITE group? I can understand. My FAVORITE was DR BUZZARD'S ORIGINAL SAVANNAH BAND. They too featured like 20 guys. And their LIVE show was Incredible, fantastic, amazing! Words not big enough adjectives in discribing their first set. Then after a break of two hours, where they obviously had been "Shooting Up" the second set was not the same!! This made them a risky group to book. Get them early in the night, THE BEST, not so later! The heroin use eventually caused them to split-up. Their label gave up on them quickly! Too bad, I was mesmerized by them. Thank God THE KID came back to earth and gave us many more years of great music. They were MY FAVORITE

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:20 pm 

1. Gino Vannelli
2. Claudja Barry
3. The Bee Gees

Post subject: GINO VANNELLI
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:37 pm 

Ray, tends to be off the wall sometimes, out of the box others! GINO VANNELLI!!?? Can you name me three of his Disco Hits? BUT,he can sing, I believe in 1979 he won an award for best vocalist at the PENDEJO AWARDS in Tijuana Mexico for Best Male Vocalist of the year, OOPS, sorry that was Scott Allen. GINO won best Male vocalist in 1979 at the JUNO AWARDS? So he can sing. But I can't blame Ray for this selection, he was under the influence of Papaya juice, and we all know how that effects your mind. And who can forget that great Disco hit...... HUH........ HUH..... I FORGOT!!

This is the same guy who once told me that The Romantics were the greatest Band of the early 80's!! So he has "different" tastes in DISCO!! My best friend RAY J

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:53 pm 

Gino was best male vocalist in the 1976 and 1979 Juno awards. He had 6 singles on the Billboard hot 100 between 1974 and 1987.

His hits included:
People Gotta Move
I Just Wanna Stop
Living Inside Myself
Black Cars
Hurts to Be in Love
Wild Horses

A note on the Romantics. I didn't hear you object to them when you played "What I like about you" at Mystique many times. (The crowd would go bezerk. It was like a shark frenzy on the dance floor)

I noticed you didn't say jack about Ms. Barry or the Bee Gees.

Post subject: Claudja Barry
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:01 pm 

Well, Claudja Barry kicked ass with her DISCO hits. -- Gino Vannelli's I JUST WANNA STOP and LIVING INSIDE MYSELF were great songs, but DISCO? No big deal, to each his own(hey That too was a Disco song?). So all cool in Ray's World! I hear a rumor that The Ranch House will be open for business soon again? I know you are looking forward to it as much as I am!, But please, no GINO VANNELLI!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:16 pm 

No, problem.

But who said that the vocalist had to have a fast disco song, I didn't read that on your introductory post? Slow songs were very much a part of the scene, espicially for couples. Come on, "You're my everthing", "You make me feel Brand New", "How Deep is your Love". Man, those songs worked wonders for me!

Board index » DISCO » Artists