Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:16 pm 

Pete, The Kid is top, I absolutely agree! I've seen "The Lifeboat party" tour and last year I was invited backstage after one of their European shows and I've spoken to the man for a few minutes and I had a great time with one of the Coconuts (talkin' and jokin'). Very kind people! I absolutely love 'em. BTW, a very underrated track by 'em is "The Sex Of It", written by Prince.

Post subject: Starr
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:21 pm 

Starr,
Great!! simply GREAT!!! The KID!! I am such a fan. So glad he didn't die in the early 80's, when he was addicted to Heroin! I wanna change my AVATAR to that cover!!! I am going to try, but us dumb asses that can barely turn on a computer have a hard time with COPY & PASTE!! But thanks very much!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!-- GOD BLESS YOU!!- PETE

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:41 pm 

male artist; SYLVESTER
female artist: LOLEATTA HOLLOWAY
group: FIRST CHOICE

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Tricky...

Can't name just one - so here we go:

Male: Peter Brown, Cerrone, Barry White, Luther Vandross, Dan Hartman, Jimmy "Bo" Horne
Female: Donna Summer, Loleatta Holloway & Jocelyn Brown
Group: ABBA, Chic, Change, Earth Wind & Fire, KC & the Sunshine Band, Kool & the Gang

OH my... the List could go on and on... It's impossible to choose just one in each category...

Disco-on !

//Discoguy

Post subject: BUT..........
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:35 am 

Great! BUT........ The idea is to choose ONE!! Everyone feels like that. There really are dozens of choices. The object is to make you commit to ONE!! Then the rest of your life, you will have an answer when asked!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:08 pm 

favourite voices: Loleatta Holloway, Gloria Gaynor, Candi Staton

favourite Mixes: Walter Gibbons, Tom Moulton, Patrick Cowley

Post subject: 3
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:56 pm 

Nobody can make a commitment!! Three favorite vocalists, means that not one of them is your favorite! By definition FAVORITE means one!! I know, I realize that it is very hard to do. BUT, aren't you tired of saying many names when asked? Wouldn't it be easier to say your FAVORITE!??!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:55 pm 

Favorite Female Vocalist: Linda Clifford (During the bitchy song era)

Favorite Male vocalist: Paul Parker

Favorite Group: Boystown Gang

Post subject: MAVJB
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:38 pm 

Mike, I think that is funny, those are great artists! BUT... It is sooooooooooo GAY!! LOL LINDA CLIFFORD ROCKS!! BOYSTOWN GANG had a good run for a few years. They made great records, fantastic DISCO songs. But to choose Paul Parker over SYLVESTER!!! GAY men adored Sylvester! Rightfully so!! He was spectacular!! As Gay choices go, you had different tastes. It usually goes SYLVESTER, VICKI SUE ROBINSON and THE VILLAGE PEOPLE. So your choices were unusual. But at least YOU made a COMMITMENT!!! Thank You!!

Post subject: Re: MAVJB
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:57 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
Mike, I think that is funny, those are great artists! BUT... It is sooooooooooo GAY!! LOL LINDA CLIFFORD ROCKS!! BOYSTOWN GANG had a good run for a few years. They made great records, fantastic DISCO songs. But to choose Paul Parker over SYLVESTER!!! GAY men adored Sylvester! Rightfully so!! He was spectacular!! As Gay choices go, you had different tastes. It usually goes SYLVESTER, VICKI SUE ROBINSON and THE VILLAGE PEOPLE. So your choices were unusual. But at least YOU made a COMMITMENT!!! Thank You!!

Considering my time in the clubs were gay clubs, the tastes will be reflective of that.

Sylvester did a few songs I liked but he wasn't the type of artist I would play a LOT. The way I can't stand shrill female vocals, as in Lipps,Inc and Lime, the same can be said for most male falsetto's. They just grate on my ears like fingernails on a blackboard.

Paul Parker has a deeper tenor without having to screech to Jesus high note. Vicki Sue, really, one or two good songs does not a favorite artist make.

Initially the Village People were a novelty act with a tongue in cheek nod towards society where granny's were dancing to gay clones. Over and above that, a lot of the songs were just played to death.

Like you said, off beat choices but at least I made a commitment.

Post subject: Awesome Mike!!
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:21 pm 

Mike,
I give you kudos! Great, great choices. I too could not stand The Village Idiots. Now The BOYSTOWN GANG!! That was Disco!! Everything they released was Classic Disco, and could be played everywhere! In fact, if they would have been on Warner Bros., or Atlantic, they would have crossed over. They were victims of Gay backlash and discrimination. LINDA CLIFFORD? Can't question that choice. Paul Parker? To each his own! Great that you made the commitment to them. That shows integrity!! Kudos to you!

Post subject: Re: MAVJB
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:49 am 

mavjb wrote:

Sylvester did a few songs I liked but he wasn't the type of artist I would play a LOT. The way I can't stand shrill female vocals, as in Lipps,Inc and Lime, the same can be said for most male falsetto's. They just grate on my ears like fingernails on a blackboard.

taste cannot be judged nor discussed I guess, but Sylvester was not only a shrieking disco queen imo. Yes, he became most famous with a few disco-hits but his repertoire stretches deep into other genres too; soul, jazz, ballads, even gospel...and he did it very well too, without the shrieking!

I remember this live-concert in Amsterdam back in 1979 where he came on stage with the Two Tons of Fun; that concert showed a very talented singer and a great performer on stage at the height of his reign.

Those songs! The back-up singers! That voice! And most of all; bringing back songs by Billie Holliday and other material not related to disco at all.
Consider the fact that the man had a long career with a few excellent albums and his ability to perform these songs live makes Sylvester an outstanding singer

If people could just look beyond the make-up and the gay persona I'm sure they could discover a whole different Sylvester.

Post subject: Sylvester
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:01 pm 

Sexual Orientation aside, Sylvester was an established singer before Disco. It was Disco that made him a star. But he was a very accomplished Jazz impresario who toured with many greats. His vocal rage was a thing of great notes and fantastic range. Many considered him a "star in waiting" during those days. He instantly saw his calling in Disco, and the rest is History. I am not a "details" kind of guy, so I really don't know specifics, but I can tell see the potential he had, and I know he eventually would have been successful. Seeing someone choose Sylvester as his Favorite Male Singer is expected. He rightfully deserves the adulation. Someone picking him is a choice, not a obligation.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:34 pm 

eedeecee wrote:

If people could just look beyond the make-up and the gay persona I'm sure they could discover a whole different Sylvester.

Oh hell, I am the LAST person to be bothered by gay anything or face make up. I mean for heaven's sake, I think Jimmy James should be on the list of Grammy winners for this year with his incredible Jamestown CD.(I urge you to check out his music on myspace/JimmyJames.

As far as Sylvester, I did like a few of his songs but back in the day when all I wanted was dance music, a lot of his tracks didn't resonate with me. I don't take away from his brilliance as an artist but outside of the Steppin' Out album with the 2 big hits from it and the "Stars" album, and "Do You Wanna Funk," I really didn't care for much of his repetoir.

The choices for favorites basically came from the artists that I STILL make it a point to listen to even today. Out of the thousands of albums and 12" records, I had to narrow down to the artists that I made a special point to pull from the pile to play every now and again. Then it came down to Linda Clifford or France Joli. I liked Linda's bitchy songs the best and France really had 3 good albums, the last one being HER last one as well, called Witch of Love.

If we were talking ALL time favorite, then hands down, that award goes to Millie Jackson for me.

Post subject: ALL TIME??
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:42 pm 

Mike, ALL-TIME?? Millie Jackson is one, how about Patsy Kline!! That lady could sing too. NINA SIMONE!! Billie Holliday! Josephine Baker!! ALL TIME RIGHT!! They rocked. I loved Linda Ronstadt!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » DISCO » Artists