Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: The Philly Sound
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:50 am 

Here is one for you- Name the artists from Philadelphia who were part of the PHILLY SOUND- Again, limitations. No more then Five per entry, and no one after 1980- Try that on for size.

I get things started with the first, JERRY BUTLER and THE INTRUDERS

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:47 am 
Site Admin

I just say MFSB ! :D

//Discoguy

Post subject: so much more
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:00 pm 

There is so much more!! Philly had dozens and dozens of great acts. Here's one you might have forgotten was from Philly

THE TRAMMPS!!

Post subject: Easy Stuff
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:12 am 

This is easy, but I am sure it will get much harder soon.

1) DeeDee Sharp-Gamble
2) The Three Degrees
3) Karen Young
4) Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes
5) Teddy Pendergrass

I was wrong, it will get hard much quicker then I thought

Post subject: The PHILLY Sound
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:38 pm 

This was my favorite style of Disco music.
When I think back, I know that there was
plenty of acts, but when put on the spot
It is not so easy. But I got a few.

1) Lou Rawls
2) McFadden and Whitehead
3) First Choice

Post subject: Philly Sound
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:47 pm 

1-The Modulations
2-Archie Bell & The Drells
3-Double Exposure
4-Love Commitee
5-The Intruders

many many more :D :D

Post subject: Re: The Philly Sound
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:53 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
Here is one for you- Name the artists from Philadelphia who were part of the PHILLY SOUND- Again, limitations. No more then Five per entry, and no one after 1980- Try that on for size.

I get things started with the first, JERRY BUTLER and THE INTRUDERS

depends of your definition of the Philly Sound since dance music coming out of Philadelphia goes waaaaay back into the 60's (Cameo/V-Tone/Virtue) but if you mean the Sigma Sound and Gamble and Huff productions of the 70's

-Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
-The O'Jays
-People's Choice
-The Tymes
-McFadden & Whitehead

wasn't Jerry Butler from Chicago??

Post subject: Could Be
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:20 am 

Not sure where he was born, but his music came from Philly. And you put down four simply fabulous groups!! Kudos to you!!-- Pete
THE TYMES!!! "You Little Trustmaker" WOW!!!

Post subject: Jerry Butler
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:13 pm 

While born and raised in Chicago, Jerry Butler was part of The Impressions, who were based in Philadelphia. And COWBOYS TO GIRLS, by The Intruders was one of the first PHILLY SOUND records. I also liked MFSB and McFadden & Whitehead.

Post subject: Jerry Butler
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:55 pm 

Jerry Butler was NOT in The Intruders. Read on from his "ALL MUSIC"bio:

[i]"Jerry Butler's career spans four decades; he recorded more than 50 albums and his voice is one of the most distinguished voices in all of music. As soulful as ever, yet smooth as ice, his nickname "the Ice Man" epitomizes his demeanor — and sound. In spite of his status as a true music icon, he remains humble. Butler moved from Sunflower, MS, to Chicago, IL, at the age of three during the mass migration of blacks from the South to the North. (He grew up in an area which is now known as the Cabrini-Green Housing Projects.)

Butler acquired his initial music lessons as a young boy while a member of the church choir in Chicago. Curtis Mayfield, who was three years younger, was also a member of the same choir. The two befriended each other and began a collaboration that would have an everlasting impact on music. The twosome joined up with brothers Arthur and Richard Brooks and Sam Gooden to form the R&B group the Roosters. In fact, the Brooks brothers, Gooden, and a female had migrated to Chicago from Tennessee, and were called the Roosters & a Chick. But when Butler and Mayfield joined them, the group became simply the Roosters. In 1957, the quintet's name was changed to Jerry Butler & the Impressions. Butler scored his first hit with the Impressions in 1958 with the timeless ballad "For Your Precious Love." (He'd written the lyrics to the song when he was just 16.)

That same year Butler and the Impressions cordially split, and Butler began his solo career. He released his first single, "Lost," on the Abner label. It peaked at number 17 on the Billboard R&B charts. Jumping over to Vee-Jay in late 1960 where his career blossomed, Butler had his first hit as a solo artist with "He Will Break Your Heart." The single popped to the top of the charts at number one and stayed there for seven consecutive weeks. In 1961, Butler bounced back with two Top Ten singles: "Find Another Girl" and "I'm a Telling You." In 1967, he signed with Mercury and teamed up with the production duo of Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff. His work with these two master producers and songwriters resulted in some classic recordings, including the outstanding album The Ice Man Cometh. The album featured one superb track after another, including two number-one singles ("Hey, Western Union Man," "Only the Strong Survive") and two Top Ten singles ("Never Give You Up," "Are You Happy"). Always known for being a crooner, "Hey, Western Union Man" revealed to many that Butler was more than capable of singing up-tempo songs.

In 1971, Gamble and Huff formed their own label and subsequently Butler formed a creative workshop to help provide material for his forthcoming albums. Material that did not make his albums, he marketed to other artists. In the spring of 1971, Butler hit the Top Ten with the number-eight single "If It's Real What I Feel," which was written by Chuck Jackson (the younger brother of Rev. Jesse Jackson). Butler continued his hit-making tradition with "Ain't Understanding Mellow," a classic soul-ballad duet with Brenda Lee Eager that peaked at number three on the Billboard R&B charts. Butler scored a number-six single with Eager with a remake of the Carpenters' "(They Long to Be) Close to You" and a solo hit with a remake of the O'Jays' "One Night Affair," which was also his last song to crack the Top Ten.

Never one to categorize singers because he believes that a singer is a singer — not based on genre, but on a person's mere ability to sing — Butler himself covered several styles of music during his lengthy music career. He had many highs in his career; ranging from sharing the spotlight with such greats as Aretha Franklin to being the chairman of the board for the Rhythm and Blues Foundation (a non-profit organization). Butler also became a force in another field: politics. In the mid-'80s, he was a significant campaign supporter of Chicago's first black mayor Harold Washington. A short time later, Butler himself became the Cook County (IL) Commissioner and by the late '90s he was a Chicago City Alderman. When the great Jerry Butler is not lobbying for his constituents, he can be found on-stage giving one of his spine-chilling performances with Ice Man-cool delivery."

In addition he executive produced two of my all time 12" favs:
"OUT OF MY HANDS (Love's Takin' Over) [written by Grey & Hanks] by a group called: Omni on a Fountain Records 12"-1980
and
"BREAKING & ENTERING" by DeeDee Sharp-Gamble on a Philly International 12" (Remixed by David Todd)

Last edited by Jay Negron on Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Impressions, not Intruders
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:19 pm 

Jay, I will give you Props for doing research. I was mistaken. But as you can see, he still was responsible for the Philly Sound! My Bad everyone! Too many Drugs confused the two names, it happens!-- Pete

Post subject: Fat Larry & Phil Hurtt
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:27 am 

Would you consider FAT LARRY & Phil Hurtt PHILLY SOUND??

Post subject: Yes, Yes, & Yes!!!!
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:36 am 

Yes - Fat Larry's Band and Phil Hurtt were definetely Philly Sound.

In fact the label they were on, WMOT Records started as a production company in 1974 headed by Bobby Eli (MFBB/Trammps/Salsoul).

Early WMOT Productions included the groups: Blue Magic, Impact, & Sons Of Robin Stone.

WMOT stood for We Men Of Talent.

I remember Fat Larry's Band's first or second 12" was "(LET'S TAKE A RIDE IN) CENTER CITY" which was a suburb of Philly.

Post subject: Jean Carn
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:25 am 

Wasn't Jean Carn part of the philly sound? She had a couple of hit songs didn't she?

Post subject: Jean Carn
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:40 am 

Yes Jean had a couple of BIG SMASHES:

"FREE LOVE" & "WAS THAT ALL IT WAS"

2 Classics Tony!!!!!

Board index » DISCO » Artists