Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Best Voices in Disco??
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:25 am 

This is a great question, the kind of question that gets things going. Everyone has an opinion about this. So there should be a tremendous response. I have been in this business for a very long time. Heard a lot of simply incredible voices, many live!! Donna Summer and Whitney Houston are on the top of this list. So are Patti Austin and Diana Ross. But this will surprise a lot of people. Of all the female voices I heard throughout the many years, the very BEST female voice is LAURA BRANNIGAN. She had range, depth and versatility. And Few could hit the high notes for as long as she did. Watching her on stage at BACKSTREETS in Ft. Lauderdale, performing to a GAY and Straight crowd, she was cheered on with emotion and volume that was reserved for the greats, LAURA simply hit notes I did not know exist. Fantastic, amazing voice. My vote for BEST VOICE, female.----- MALE vocalist?-- The best has to be between Jeffrey Osborne and Teddy Pendergrass. They were great, the best. Also gotta love BARRY WHITE, that was a DISCO VOICE if ever I heard one. How about the BASS vocalist in the TRAMMPS? Remember him singing,"WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE"? Then go the other way, how about the early work of FRANKIE VALLI, that was impressive. Singing along with him as he belted out "SWEARIN' TO GOD". Great memories. But if we are talking real DISCO, I nominate LEROY GOMEZ of SANTA ESMERALDA. His early vocals came to sybolize what the essence of DISCO was. The spirit and emotion of the music came out through his voice. The very best vocalist? NO! Best DISCO VOICE? Why Not?

Post subject: Got The All-Time Best Voice
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:17 am 

TO ME, THERE IS NO DOUBT. If you were alive at all in 1973, you heard the MAESTRO do his thing.

BARRY WHITE

Post subject: LTD
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:34 pm 

I for one say the lead vocalist of LTD-
JEFFREY OSBORNE

Do you know what LTD stands for?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

DJ Ed,

Please enlighten me of what the LTD stands for...

Disco-on !

//Discoguy

Post subject: LTD
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:14 pm 

Claes,
I am very surprised that you don't know what LTD stands for?
This was one of the best , and most soul-ful disco groups of the early to mid seventies. The lead singer was JEFFREY OSBORNE, and the group, in the style of the times, like EWF. That was of course EARTH,WIND and FIRE.

LTD= LOVE, TOGETHERNESS and DEVOTION

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:49 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Pete !

I never knew that !!
But now I'm enlightened ! :-)

THANKS !

//Discoguy

Post subject: I got another one
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:34 am 

In the Quincy Jones style, AI NO CORRIDA featured JAMES INGRAM. That boy could sing!! Then of course there was Luther Vandross. I liked the sound of TINA CHARLES too. She was pretty good. BOOGIE WOOGIE DANCIN SHOES-- Claudja Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:46 pm 

I would have to say Loleatta and Taana Garner.because to this day both can still BLOW.I will be on the phone with Taana and she will start singing and she sounds just like she did if she were singing "When You Touch Me or Heartbeat"..and Loleatta's nickname is THE VOICE.. I help Loleatta with her myspace page and I have NEVER seen so much love and respect given an artist like the fans give Loleatta..and of course Donna and My beloved Diana are a given.
As for my male choice's Howard Hewitt,when he was with Shalamar had a silky crisp voice that was very pleasant to hear.."made you smile" and to this day his voice is pitch perfect..then Teddy Pendergrass,although Jeffery Osborne is right up there.. It's so hard to single out what we ourselves consider "the best'..
These are of course my opininon only

Post subject: Dayna
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:27 pm 

Lady D,
Again we ALL welcome you now! To the best forum on the internet that deals with Disco. Let's get into it shall we, as the ONLY Diva here, why did you call Loletta tops over Divas like DONNA and DIANA? And they are not a "Given". I love putting you on the spot! Make a commitment to one!! Hard to do, but you must have that ONE!! I think I know your answer!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:30 pm 

Of the male vocalists, hands down for me is Rick Astley. That man can belt them out!

Females: ok, gotta go with Millie Jackson since she is my fave of all time.

Post subject: Rick WHO???
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:54 pm 

Mike!! LOL While he(Rick) had an outstanding voice and range, what happened to PAUL PARKER?? You confused me! And, what, TEDDY and Barry and Jeffrey Osbourne were not the true vocalists? You put Rick WHO? Ahead of them? Luther Vandross? Extreme, don't you think?

Post subject: Re: Dayna
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:31 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
Lady D,
Again we ALL welcome you now! To the best forum on the internet that deals with Disco. Let's get into it shall we, as the ONLY Diva here, why did you call Loletta tops over Divas like DONNA and DIANA? And they are not a "Given". I love putting you on the spot! Make a commitment to one!! Hard to do, but you must have that ONE!! I think I know your answer!

OH MY..OK
First thank you for the welcome..
Well this thread is about who"I"..We personally..think is the greatest
voice in Disco,So to me Donna and Diana are givens..
my explination? I cant think of Disco or about dancing without thinking of one or both..
if it's about Voice as in pitch tone and range..
Loleatta all the way..She is a POWERHOUSE

Post subject: Best Voices in Disco??
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:34 pm 

I think as a Group, The Trammps had VOICE? Also Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes had VOICE?

Post subject: Re: Rick WHO???
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:49 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
Mike!! LOL While he(Rick) had an outstanding voice and range, what happened to PAUL PARKER?? You confused me! And, what, TEDDY and Barry and Jeffrey Osbourne were not the true vocalists? You put Rick WHO? Ahead of them? Luther Vandross? Extreme, don't you think?

Paul Parker wasn't really well known outside the gay world so I chose someone whose voice I still like even today and that would be Rick Astley as a more "common" artist that the masses would know.

The one's you mentioned were ok in my book but not the type of vocalists that I would keep rotating here at home for any length of time. Rick or Paul, well they can play the records till the grooves wear out for all I care.

Post subject: Welcome Dayna
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:21 am 

Dayna,
I guess you see that that ship was sinking! Glad you are here. This site is warm and fuzzy, we all like warm and fuzzy. So having a woman's touch should be interesting and very welcome. Now getting to business. I understand where you are coming from. But how about another Diva or two to throw into the conversation. PATTI AUSTIN and CHER! They both have had much success within Disco. And then there is Jody Whatley!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » DISCO » Artists