Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » OTHER DISCOssions » Barry's thoughts...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:46 pm 

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
Sandpiper/Pavillion demolished: "I must admit that it had its day and it is time for a more modern club to be built."

by Barry Lederer

This famous song title has many implications. It signifies, times gone by and developments to come.

One of my friends e-mails to me, asked me what the demolition pictures of the old Sandpiper (turned to Pavillion) means? Is it good news or bad news?

Well, the answer in this case is both.

The Sandpiper/Pavillion was a landmark (not officially though) of the great music played through these past 35 years by some of the best djs around. The times we all had dancing, there were nothing short of sensational! However I must admit that it had its day and it is time for a more modern club to be built.

The bad news is the closing of some many other institutions (at least here in New York). There is no more Russian Tea Room , a great and world reknown restaurant next to Carnegie Hall. There are baseball fields that hold some much history in American which get replaced with newer closed-in domed facilities. Sure, I like the classic places but time marches on.

So I say goodbye to the Sandpiper and as Bob Hope used to say "thanks for the memories."

BARRY LEDERER

Former Sandpiper dj on behalf of all who played there

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

Board index » OTHER DISCOssions » Barry's thoughts...