Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject: ONE PERFECT SONG
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:53 pm 

Now here is one for everybody to get involved on. What I want you to do is share your 'PERFECT SONG' with us all. Now we have to be precise about this so it does not go off on a tangent. I require ONE SONG, this is not a muliple choice answer, this a'int gonna be easy for everone and thats why this thread is gonna be very interesting. What one song do you find to be perfect in nearly all departments to you. To all the dj's out there, your choice does not have to be a floor filler, this time it is all about you and not the dancers. You can not just post only the name of your song here. I want to know why you regard your choice as the 'PERFECT SONG'. Go in to detail..is it about the arrangement, the production, the vocal, the mix/remix, the break or the overall feel good factor about it..One thing I also ask is that is your choice falls into the Disco/Dance/Funk/Soul genre..So there you have it folks!...I know it is gonna be hard but what is your ONE PERFECT SONG...C'mon everybody I want to hear from you all..

Post subject: Loleatta Holloway - Love Sensation
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:58 pm 

That's very cool Soul-Boy !!!
My ideal perfect song is ''Love Sensation'' by Loleatta Holloway in Shep Pettibone mix!
The vocal performance by Loleatta is one of the greatest in Disco Music,even at the breakdown of the song.The arragement of Norman Harris is a harmony,from the beggining with the piano riffs to the end,this song gives you more and more peaks!!!
There's no words for the orchestration,all the MFSB are here 8) with a serious as always production from Dan Hartman!
The 1983 Shep Pettibone mix make this anthem song more powerful,Shep use the technology with a smart way,giving more steady BPMs,longer intro and outro,adding more drums but again with Earl Young (He worked with Earl Young in all Salsoul re-releases that he mixed like ''Let No Man Put Asunder'',''Doctor Love'' and ''Oo I Love It'')
The Insrumental-Dub and the acapella versions are bonus to this masterpiece!!!
I never feel tired of this song even after 25 years and the test of time can prove everything!
It's still popular today and is a classic that I could use anytime in any crowd,takin' always a great feedback :D

Post subject: Re: ONE PERFECT SONG
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:17 pm 

Thats what I am talking about Giorgio..
Perfect response to the original post. Everybody take notice as this is exactly what I was looking for. You have broken it down in fine detail for me and I can see clearly why you love the song so much! Great choice Giorgio, I will post mine a little later as I can't split it between two songs right now..This is gonna be tough but I am gonna follow the rules and only post one song..Stayed tuned!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:26 pm 

In the immortal words of Mick,"You can't always get what you want, but if you try real hard, you get what you need". Mike, there are many songs that I have heard, that I own, that are PERFECT.... FOR ME. Some, happen to be disco. Some not.

Bobby Darin had such a PERFECT VOICE, and his Live Show version of this song is simply classic. His hand & arm gestures at every beat. His body language. The confidence he had on stage. That makes, "Mack The Knife" simply PERFECT!--But I am not sure it falls into the category you want.

The Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" is PERFECTin my eyes too. But that might not fit into your category either. Sorry, the songs are PERFECT.

Alright, DISCO. In the beginning, it was all about the beauty, the orchestration, the ability to get everyone dancing. That was true DISCO.Many songs fall into that category. The likes of Donna Summer, MFSB, Harold Melvin, John Davis and of course the Trammps fall easily into that PERFECT song category.

But Barry White & The Love Unlimited Orchestra created the PERFECT Disco song, early on. The full orchestra was PERFECT, The tempo was PERFECT, the rhythm was PERFECT. It was/is an anthem, forever. Who can forget the theme, "Love's Theme". To me, it the PERFECT song.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:19 pm 

Besides anything Love Unlimited did,I'd have to go with Cerrone's " Love In C Minor ".

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:57 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
But Barry White & The Love Unlimited Orchestra created the PERFECT Disco song, early on. The full orchestra was PERFECT, The tempo was PERFECT, the rhythm was PERFECT. It was/is an anthem, forever. Who can forget the theme, "Love's Theme". To me, it the PERFECT song.

Pete,
Can't argue with the fact how beautiful this song is and I guess it would be in everboy's top ten disco tunes of all time but I am a little shocked with your choice as I was convinced that The Kid would get your pick. Was this a no-brainer for you or did The Kid come into the equation and toy with your choice..Pray tell!..

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:01 pm 

Discomeng wrote:
Besides anything Love Unlimited did,I'd have to go with Cerrone's " Love In C Minor ".

Discomeng,
You can't get away so lightly on your choice!..
Like it says in the original post..tell me why this song is your PERFECT SONG.
Elaborate a little more and give us more detail so we can all understand why it is PERFECT to you!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:14 pm 

"My Male Curiosity" is my FAVORITE SONG! But far from PERFECT. It has always needed a remixed version. In 1984, if the powers that be, would have hired Tom Moulton, or Shep, or Jimmy, or anyone to extend the introduction and to add a Kettle Drum/Percussion filled break, this song would have been a major hit, instead of simply a "hidden gem". It certainly lacks commercial appeal in its original & present form. But I love it, like I love a lot of things, songs & people, and it doesn't have to be PERFECT.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:26 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
"My Male Curiosity" is my FAVORITE SONG! But far from PERFECT. It has always needed a remixed version. In 1984, if the powers that be, would have hired Tom Moulton, or Shep, or Jimmy, or anyone to extend the introduction and to add a Kettle Drum/Percussion filled break, this song would have been a major hit, instead of simply a "hidden gem". It certainly lacks commercial appeal in its original & present form. But I love it, like I love a lot of things, songs & people, and it doesn't have to be PERFECT.

Thanks Pete, that breaks it down nicely for me and I understand fully now!
Its so much better when a song of choice is broken down into detail as it is so more interesting and you can learn alot of new things about a song from somebody else's perspective!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:13 pm 

Considering the time the song came out during the beginning of the sexual explosion, Love In C Minor delivered what I feel was a combination of what was starting to become the norm but with a story telling twist as evident of it's long spoken intro that everyone could relate to as far as " hooking up/flirting " with someone is concerned.

That along with the sudden kick drum and deep bass slapping as the music comes in with it's blend of multiple dark ambient strings and flute sounds help build an anticipation of sorts like no other.

The constant flirtatious voices heard through out the song only escalated ones anticipation, once the song reaches it's " Love Me " lyrics it seems to take another direction toning down to a more typical smooth Disco style people were more accustomed to.

Now enter the sudden and short piano with the kick drum being the main aspect of the song while a deeper tone of piano helps with the delivery of what is obviously a woman reaching her sexual climax point to then once again change it's feel with yet another sudden action packed Johannes Brahms romantic style string sounds.

From start to end, the drum kick is evident like a continuous heartbeat ,nothing special without the other elements, but the constant pounding of the kick drum is hard to ignore just fueling more of the much anticipated fire the song delivers.

But with all that said, NOTHING beats Love Unlimited!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:42 pm 

Discomeng,

Excellent break down brother. Now I and other members know what this song means to you and why...Thank You!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:00 pm 

OK, I love music and to me there were many perfect songs; I'll just talk about one.

Loleatta Holloway's "HIT & RUN" Walter Gibbons' 12" Remix.

To me beginning to very end this is perfection at it's best.
It has everything I look for AND everything that I like combined in a dance record.

It starts off with a sizzling intro; phasing on the high end; Bobby Eli hitting the lick with Ron Baker's bass & Earl Young's drum in full synchopation. Larry Washington is bongo-ing his butt off.
We go into a Philly styled instrumental with full orchestration; a Norman Harris classic arrangement. But you do not hear any let up in the drums, conga, & bass---it is continuously loud & heavy.
When Loleatta starts singin, it is pure soul.
A Harris-Felder composition usually builds and this is no exception.
The chorus is cool but it does not give a clue what is coming!!!

The break starts---> Drums pounding, joined by the bass, joined by the lead guitar for 4 bars, then the bongos join in, with a couple of horn riffs, these guys start jamming and are so in tune with each other; then the build up starts, the organ (Ron "Have Mercy" Kersey) joins the group; then Loleatta starts freestyling, what she does best.
This goes on for about 4 minutes with Walter echo-ing her voice at the right time.
Then Norman Harris starts pluckin his guitar and joins the tandem. Next is Vince Montana Jr.'s turn to join in the jam. All the while the drums & congas are getting hotter, louder, and so is Loleatta!!! Now they are ALL jamming in a complete GROOVE that you cannot deny yourself. It is one of the prettiest, funkyest, things I've ever heard!! They all get into a climax, drums & cymbals & congas & bass all on high!!

Then what does Remixer Walter Gibbons do????
He starts the fuckin break all over again!!!!!!

WOW!!! WHAT A RUSH!!!

Drums start again & the whole sequence is repeated without Loleatta.
The climax comes a little sooner; just 2 1/2 minutes but, you get the picture;
A masterpiece was done with a beginning - middle - & the end!!!
It ends with the whole band stopping and bystanders clapping;
knowing what they just have witnessed!!!
What a perfect song!!!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:11 pm 

Jay,

I have to congratulate on your break down of your PERFECT SONG. I do not think you could have been more precise in your description of this track. As I read your comments, I could hear the music in my mind as you described it, excellent brother..
What I am interested in knowing is, did you listen to the track once more to refresh your memory before you layed down your comments, or is this track engraved in your mind so much that you know it inside out...Sing! Brother! Sing!...

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:43 am 

Naw bro---I described it from work, in between phone calls from clients.
I have every second of that track etched in my brain!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:22 am 

Ok, my perfect song comes from 1979 and was on the Philadephia label. it is

"Was That All It Was" by Jean Carn

The opening drumbeats set the pace and continue to drive this mid-tempo groove throughout its length. Within the first few seconds you will hear just a touch of synthesised drums which reveal the era in which this song was recorded. Other instruments enter, adding a further layers to the rich tapestry of sounds that still get me caught up in their rapture some thirty years after I first heard them. Just when you think things can't get any better, THAT voice enters. Calm, beautiful, understated, and summing up the mood of the whole song. As Ms Carn sings the line "Must it be so cold...," and you think things cannot get any better, the rich philadelphia strings enter and support the voice all the way to the chorus. After a couple of verses of amazing singing, we are treated to some simple horns, which continue on and off throughout, adding to the atmosphere of this incredible song.

Even the lyrics convey a story with which so many of us identify; A tale of a one-night stand, which the singer believes could have become so much more. Ms Carn's voice expresses these sentiments perfectly, ranging from calm reflection to impassioned pleas. Every word is clear, every note perfect, as she performs what is, to me, both a dance classic and an emotional torch song all in one.

I won't describe it in any more detail as most of you will know it so well and mere words cannot do justice to such a sublime piece of art. That is why this is my perfect song.

It's time to treat yourself: Wallow in its beauty over and over again - I know I will...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIE266rqnw

Board index » DISCO » Music