Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject: NEW KAREN YOUNG TRACK....
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi ALL,

I'm excited to tell that I FINALLY have put up my interview with Andy Kahn who was the writer and producer of Karen Young's "Hot Shot".
The interview was done late last summer and me and Andy decided to keep it on hold until it was time for him to release....

A NEW UNRELEASED KAREN YOUNG TRACK !!!

This track has been kept in his vault since 1979 and it will be released in late January 2009, but you'll get a chance to hear some snippets of 2 of the mixes here at Disco-Disco.com.
This song, "Rendezvous With Me", was scheduled to be the follow up hit to "Hot Shot", but due to different reasons, which Andy mentions in the interview, it was never released.
One of the mixes are made by one of the members of this Forum - Paul Goodyear.

So - Check out the interview and the track

Go have a "Rendezvous" with Andy & Karen...
ENJOY !!

// Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:24 am 

Top interview Discoguy! It's an amazing story. :D

Andy,Walter,Kurt & Karen are all legends in their own right. :wink:

"Stand Up Sit Down" & "Hot Shot" never failed to peak my floors. :twisted:

Fantastic, lush disco at it's best that has stood the test of time. 8)

Bless you Mr. Khan. :)

Post subject: Re: NEW KAREN YOUNG TRACK....
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:04 am 

Rendezvous With Me by Karen Young began its debut on dance floors in clubs and sound systems this past weekend. Thank you, Discoguy for being the first to write about it!!

The six new dance tracks representing mixes from the MaxRoxx team, UK DJ Paul Goodyear and Philadelphia DJ Zathan Radix make up this release. It will be available initially in download from Perfect Beat and Masterbeat. Worldwide digital distribution will follow shortly afterward.

For more information and the fascinating story behind how "Rendezvous With Me" finally came out after being kept tucked away since 1979, visit MaxRoxx Music's site maxroxx.com

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:33 am 

Great interview, but what about the track? Would have been great to get to listen to it as it was originally recorded, with the original instrumentation intact. Six new mixes and no original edit. In other words, a possible classic ruined. Kinda sad.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:33 pm 

Sorry! There is no original-tracks master that was completed for Rendezvous With Me. Only Karen Young's extraordinary vocal track, the background vocals and the horn section arrangements were ever completed. Discoguy (of this Forum) has asked for the original mix of Rendezvous With Me. I agreed to allow him to post a segment on this site only. He'll have it soon. MaxRoxx Music will not make the original track recordings available commercially. And here's why:

Karen's original vocal track and the background tracks were recorded over my four-piece rhythm section of piano, bass, guitar and drums on a 2-inch 16-track master. The horn arrangements were recroded on a separate 2-inch 24-track master in a different studio! We anticipated finishing this project on 24-track equipment, affording us more flexibility. (Hey this was 1979 - a long time ago! No digital recording appartus in sight yet! LOL) Then the project got shelved...........until now.

Perhaps MaxRoxx will one day make a new synched-master of the two separate multi-track master tapes, joining the rhythm and vocals with the horn section tracks. Until then, the new release from MaxRoxx is the best example of Karen Young performing Rendezvous With Me.

ANDY

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:16 pm 

All right, very good to know. Still, I can't help imagining the impact of those powerhouse vocals soaring over an actual orchestra...:-)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

OK - Good news my friends...

As a personal favor - Andy has given me copies of the original 1979 takes of "Rendezvous With Me". You will ONLY get to hear parts of these two original masters in Disco-Disco.com...
Why two ??

Andy explains; "As promised, here are the original 1979 'Rendezvous With Me' tracks. There are two audio files. One is the rhythm section with Karen's original vocal track. This is the vocal performance of hers that was used for our current release. The other is the rhythm section and the original horn section tracks.
It gives me goosebumps hearing it again, reliving the experience of teaching Karen the song, producing her session that recorded her outrageous vocals over the rhythm demo tracks, writing the horn arrangements, then conducting the horn section, laying down their exciting parts on the new 24-track machine... all of this gives me the chills!
The rhythm and vocal tracks were originally recorded on 16-track 2-inch tape. We later recorded the rhythm and horn tracks on our new 24-track 2-inch tape machine, creating two separate masters for this project. I then decided to hold back releasing 'Rendezvous With Me' as explained earlier in this interview. Karen's vocals were never bounced to the 24-track master and the whole project was postponed indefinitely.
I restored these tape masters last Spring so the analog audio could be extracted. That was the first time Karen's vocals and the horn section were ever synched together into new digital tracks that became the foundation for the new MaxRoxxMix."

Wanna hear what it sounded like in 1979 ???

Original 1979 Vocal Mix
Original 1979 Rhythm & Horns Mix

Read the full Andy Kahn interview

ENJOY IT !!!

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:35 pm 

Top-Notch work Claes...excellent interview and of course you can never fail to dance for Joy when you hear quality music like this!

Hats Off!...to all involved!

Board index » DISCO » Music