Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:48 pm 

DiscoGuy! Most of those songs you posted here, can't be seen here in the US. A notification comes up saying so! Sorry!

DISCOGUY NOTE: Sorry 'bout that. Have corrected those links now and I think it should work... Else let me know !!
:oops:

Post subject: Re: SAMPLES GET ON MY NERVES!!
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:01 am 

Pete Denis wrote:
Samples get on my nerves. It is proof of how lame today's music can be. I love the originality of what DJ MEME did, but hate all this stealing, oops, I mean sampling of songs!! Can't they be original? I realize some of you see this as a compliment. I see it as lame!! In no other period in Music history did artists need to "sample" others to make music. I know there are exceptions to the rules, but I would rather play t
he original music. Any how, you guys seem to love it. So enjoy it!

Pete,

Come out of your cave and stop living solely in the past.Lol. I have found on numerous ocassions when a new track comes out that has a sample from the past, you have a great oppertunity to play the new track back to back with the track it was sampled from. This gives you the ideal chance of playing disco in a modern set which people I have found come to appreciate....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:08 am 

Samples suck! I hate to agree with Pete. But there is nothing like the real thing! Disco to death, right Pete!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:46 am 

They didn't have samplers in the 70s so they used to just copy other peoples work.
One example is Sugarhill Gang - "Rappers Delight" using the bassline of Chic - "Good Times" & the cowbell pattern from the intro of Love De Luxe - "Here Comes That Sound Again" 8)

Gino Soccio - "Try It Out" sounds like Queen - "Another One Bites The Dust" in places.

All the bootlegs that Tee Scott produced for Began Cekic under the guise of Brooklyn Dreams were all replayed versions of other peoples songs too.
They included Jimmy Bo Horne - "Spank" /Eddie Kendricks - "Girl You Need a Change Of Mind/ The Police - "Voices (Inside My Head)"

Who needed samplers when you had plagerisim amongst musicians. :twisted:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:48 am 

I think sampling is ok as long as it's done within reason. If they sample a track, the result shouldn't sound too similar to the original, and it should be done with style. Some artists practically copy the track and call it their own, that's just ridiculous.

I'm not much of a fan of a lot the pop tracks today that sample old disco music, but I like the nu-disco/space disco style.

So what is nu-disco? Check out:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0xgBDjBVxB0

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:38 am 
Site Admin

I have also got some mixed emotions about sampling. But frankly - sometimes I think it's done in a very clever and good way. And these days most artists doesn't seem to mind - as long as they get proper credit and money (which I hope most of them do these days).

As Pflext points out - those are great examples of "early sampling" (or stealing)...

Btw - fixed the links I posted in the previous page of this thread - go check them out now...

//Discoguy

Post subject: Joy/Ecstasy
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:54 pm 

"ECSTASY" by Barry White

was used superbly by:

Mary J. Blige in "YOU BRING ME JOY"

I have played them back-to-back at private parties with great reaction!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:55 pm 

Some people might think that this following video is a waste of time but I found it intresting and informative..I think it is very relative to this thread....See what you think!....

VIDEO EXPLAINS THE WORLD'S MOST IMPORTANT 6-SEC DRUM LOOP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2b ... re=related

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:09 pm 

pflext wrote:

Who needed samplers when you had plagerisim amongst musicians. :twisted:

who needs samplers when you have a musician who can play the content of a sample identically or even better?? Sure any musician is being inspired by the works of others...but
at least musicians can reproduce any sample or parts of that LIVE! And maybe adding their own thing...now think of exciting how that can be??

samples may inspire but will never replace a human playing an instrument LIVE!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:44 am 
Site Admin

Soul-Boy,

Didn't see the full video, but I figured they would be talking about the "Amen break". Classic break that have been sampled and/or copied so many times, specially in the UK's House, Rave, Trip-Hop (or what all the styles are called).
I think it's quite fascinating that it has been used in so many tracks and just the thing that the original drum break was made back in the 60's (as I recall) and still sound as fresh is kind of amazing. Talk about being ahead of their time...

// Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:38 pm 

Two great songs for you hear. First up is a British group called THE SUGARBABES (not to be mistaken for there American counterparts of the same name). The track in question is called "NO CAN DO"and is not released in the UK until Dec 08.Iit heavily samples from another great track "YES IT'S YOU" by SWEET CHARLES SHERRELL who found fame in JAMES BROWN band. BTW JB produced the track for him.

THE SUGARBABES - "NO CAN DO"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UNdDHCk ... re=related

Heavily Samples From;

SWEET CHARLES SHERRELL - "YES IT'S YOU"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDFrehI9KGU

Love both tracks but Sweet Charles edges it over The Sugarbabes for me.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:30 am 

Here's a couple that fit the profile. :wink:

1. The Bucketheads - "The Bomb! (These Sounds Fall Into My Mind) 1995
samples Chicago - "Streetplayer" 1979.

The publishers probably made more money off royalties off sales of "The Bomb!" than the initial release.

2. Tognarelli and Bertani - "I Get Power" 2008 samples C.J. & Co. - "Devils Gun" 1977.

And while I'm at it, why does Watson Beasley - "Breakaway" sound so much like Brainstorm - "Lovin' Is Really My Game" :?: :twisted:

Post subject: Spiller - Groovejet
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:17 pm 

Spiller's ''Groovejet'' was same story like Bucketheads.''Love Is You'' by Carol Williams was a wonderful song with a serious Vince Montana production,but royalties and money came from Spiller's sampling!

Post subject: Re: Spiller - Groovejet
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:29 pm 

Dancer wrote:
Spiller's ''Groovejet'' was same story like Bucketheads.''Love Is You'' by Carol Williams was a wonderful song with a serious Vince Montana production,but royalties and money came from Spiller's sampling!

You got that right George, that was my first prime example on this thread that I posted to get things started.The more times I revisit "Love Is You" the more times I grow found of the track. The track passed me by originally and I only came across after listening to "Groovejet". I just knew that the groove running through "Groovejet" had to have been sampled from a disco track so I dug deep and found to my joy "Love Is You"..So if it was'nt for Spiller, I may not have come across this gem of a tune and for that , I am truely grateful...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
So if it was'nt for Spiller, I may not have come across this gem of a tune and for that , I am truely grateful...

Exactly my point...
I think many times a sample of an old Disco track (often not the most well known hits) brings life back to the original track which wakes the interest for the original tune, original artist but also mean royalty $$$ to the originator.
So I really think many "forgotten" acts might be happy to get sampled these days - if done in a good way and also crediting and paying for the use. Because several of them might have experienced a revival these days and I think the labels are not smart enough cashing in on the sampling. I'm sure they could sell loads of records if they made the original sampled song available again, as many youngsters are interested in hearing the original version as well...

// Discoguy

Board index » DISCO » Music