Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject: Gonzalez
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:04 pm 

Does anybody know if there exists two released versions of Gonzalez - Love It (You're The One)?

I've heard the version that's on this release:
http://www.discogs.com/release/192800

But the version in this video is a bit different:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCJWky4LGqE

So I'm wondering if the version in the video is released or if it's a version that they put together just for the show.

Post subject: The Show!
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:44 am 

I am pretty sure that the version in the show was just for that show. But I am confident that there were at least two versions released!

Post subject: This was a great Disco group
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:09 pm 

This was a great disco group, remember, "I HAVEN'T STOPPED DANCING YET"!! Who was the lead vocalists?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:47 pm 

Ed,

I know that GLORIA JONES of "TAINTED LOVE" fame wrote and produced a lot of GONZALEZ material, so i think it could be her on the lead vocals!

Disco-on!!

Soul-Boy

Post subject: Gonzales
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:53 pm 

I thought it was a DUDE singin on "HAVEN'T STOPPED DANCIN" by Gonzales!

Post subject: All I know...
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:47 pm 

All I know, is that the female that was on their covers was HOT!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:07 pm 

Ed & Jay,

Gonzalez was a loosely knit, British-based aggregate with a revolving-door membership of anywhere from 10 to 30 players. Their specialty was a mostly instrumental melange of funk, jazz, soul, and (later) disco, though they did employ vocalists for selected tracks on most of their albums. Their core early membership consisted of saxophonists Mick Eve, Chris Mercer, and Geoffrey "Bud" Beadle, keyboardist Roy Davies, and guitarist Gordon Hunte; collectively, their previous credits included Georgie Fame's Blue Flames, Juicy Lucy, John Mayall, Keef Hartley, and the Night-Timers, among others. First convening in 1971, Gonzalez grew to include bassist DeLisle Harper, trumpeter Ron Carthy, saxophonist Steve Gregory, drummers Richard Bailey and Glen LeFleur, and vocalist George Chandler (among others) by the time they released their self-titled debut album on EMI-Capitol in 1974. Cuts like "Funky Frith Street" and the Latin-tinged "Saoco" later became popular among connoisseurs of obscure funk. The follow-up, Our Only Weapon Is Our Music, appeared in 1975 and featured new members in guitarist/vocalist Lenny Zakatek, trombonist Colin Jacas, guitarist Robert Ahwai, bassist Larry Steele, percussionist Bobby Stignac, and singer Viola Wells. Material from Gonzalez' first two albums was later reissued on CD, both by See for Miles and Soul Brother.

The band's third album, Shipwrecked, appeared in 1977, and was produced by soul singer Gloria Jones. Two years after the fact, the band's version of Jones' "Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet" became a hit in the U.K., leading to the album's reissue under the title Haven't Stopped Dancin'. Jones also produced their follow-up, 1979's Move It to the Music, by which time Eve and Hunte were gone; the single "Ain't No Way to Treat a Lady" was an unsuccessful attempt to duplicate the wide appeal of "Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet." After one more album, 1980's Watch Your Step, Gonzalez found themselves without a major-label deal; during the '80s, they recorded singles for PRT and Tooti Fruiti, with many more shifts in personnel. They finally disbanded for good in 1986 following the death of Davies.

Laters!

Soul-Boy

Post subject: Gonzales
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:49 pm 

Nice Bio!!! Thanks.
Now maybe you can answer the question. Who sang lead on their hit, "HAVEN'T STOPPED DANCING"??

Post subject: Re: Gonzales
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:57 pm 

Jay Negron wrote:
Nice Bio!!! Thanks.
Now maybe you can answer the question. Who sang lead on their hit, "HAVEN'T STOPPED DANCING"??

Lenny Zakatek

http://www.theavenueonline.info/site1/bios/zakatek.htm

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:06 am 

Gonzalez - Dance Machine:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/19072504861bf21f/

Gonzalez - Love It (You're The One):

http://www.zshare.net/audio/1907258038af6c76/

Two great tracks imo.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:20 pm 

Ed Martin & Jay,

Lead vocalist with GONZALEZ was

Lenny Zakatek was born in 1947 in Karachi. (At that time it was India, but since partition has become Pakistan). At the age of thirteen, the family moved to England and it was there that Lenny began to experiment with music.

By the age of seventeen Lenny got the chance to put everything he learned to use and take his act on the road with a band called Funky Fever. A few years later he would form a band called "Zakatek" and take off for Denmark.

At the top of the 1970s, Lenny would join his next band, Gonzalez. "We were the sort of Earth, Wind and Fire/Tower of Power of the UK. We had Steve Feronne on drums who's now doing everything from Eric Clapton to Chaka Khan. John Giblin was on bass for two years." Before leaving Gonzalez, Lenny sang lead on their biggest hit single "Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet".

In 1977, Lenny sang vocals on "I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You", from The Alan Parsons Project album "I Robot". Not only did this begin a long association with The Alan Parsons Project, but he also ended up singing many of the hits, including "Damned If I Do" and "Games People Play".

Lenny worked with The Alan Parsons Project for many years, and also performed vocals for the band at their first live concerts in the early 1990s.

In 1979 Lenny released his first solo album on A&M Records. Alan Parsons produced and engineered Lenny's self-titled solo album, while Bairnson and Elliott lent their support as well. Robert Ahwai and John Giblin also helped, the latter also writing songs for the album.

Lenny also did a couple of singles for London Records including "Say I Love You / Where Is The Love?", then later got the chance to do another record, called "Small But Hard".

More recently Lenny has been working in the business end of the music industry: publishing, managing and producing. Lenny has had success managing Japanese artist Hotei (ho-tey). Hotei has sold almost twenty-two million albums in Japan, and performed a guitar solo at the closing ceremony of the Atlanta Olympic Games.

At Last!

Post subject: wow
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:27 pm 

Thanks Mikey---You know I love that kind of info!!!!

Board index » DISCO » Music