Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song Of The Day
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:08 am 

I love Pauline Henry's voice!!!Both ''Heaven'' and ''1-2-3''(the David Morales Philly Mix)were always in my playlist back then!!!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:27 pm 

Today's Song Of The Day was a floor banger for me back in 1986...

DONNA ALLEN - "SERIOUS" (1986)

Donna Allen launched her vocal career in the early '80s. The Floridian joined the band Hi-Octane and toured with them a year before leaving for the group Trama. She then formed Donna Allen & company and performed in the Tampa area. Lou Pace produced her 1986 debut LP Perfect Timing, which included the single "Serious" that earned Allen a number five R&B hit, plus the followup "Satisfied," which reached number 14, and a duet with Howard Hewitt on "Perfect Timing." Her 1987 LP Heaven on Earth had a remake of Maze's "Joy and Pain" that did well on the international circuit. Allen was also a cheerleader for the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers at one time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NYaV4ueWo4

http://www.zshare.net/audio/69504003f1954da9/

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:21 pm 

Soul-Boy, great post about Grandmaster Flash! Since I came from old school hip-hop world, you know what Flash means to us. I was around 20 years old (late 90's) when I tried to organize for Flash to come in my town, to held a party. I got info that he's in Italy (which is almost in the neighbourhood, not even a 1000 kilometers away! :mrgreen: ), so I quickly managed to get in touch with his manager... but that was mission impossible. Only now, 10 years later, 5 days after I post this text - we'll have the first big rap act from USA in Split - a New York group ONYX.
But the thing is... I don't care for that any more.

Anyway, back to the topic. Now, I haven't read it all, so I'm not sure did I get it. Is this about songs which are in our minds the current day? Because I have the newest discovery which I want to share with you. :D
You'll all know it (since most of you are much older), but for me this is new - and I love it! First, I was like: WHAT THE...?!? But by the time I saw/heard it the third time, that was it. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KzGilnjaU8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTFCwKvlKZo

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:32 am 
Site Admin

SoulBoy,

The Donna Allen was massive back in the day... I also played it a great deal. Loved that kind of sound...

Disco54,

Yes, I actually love that song - even if it's a bit tacky (not to mention the video). But there's something with that song that really gets something going in me... :D

Thanks to the both of you !!!

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:04 pm 

Discoguy wrote:
it's a bit tacky (not to mention the video)

But... but... aren't we here for the original 70's disco?? I thought that was the whole point. Tacky, sleazy, cheap, sexy, funky, chic, shiny, kitsch, crazy... it's the 70's, man... I love it and want it that way! :mrgreen:

But the problem is - I can't find that album (which has "Automatic Lover"). :cry:

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:29 pm 

Disco54 wrote:
Anyway, back to the topic. Now, I haven't read it all, so I'm not sure did I get it. Is this about songs which are in our minds the current day? Because I have the newest discovery which I want to share with you. :D

That's the ticket Disco54, what we do here is simply serve up a record that you are feeling at the moment!. It does not matter if it is from the past, present or the future and it does'nt even matter what genre of music it is. If it moves you, we would like to hear about it...BTW..lovely choice of record for your personal Song Of The Day, I'm defo feeling that one and I think Discoguy must be a bit of a prude as I'm with you...the sexier and the tackier the better in my book!...Lol
Thanks for posting!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:48 pm 

I'm back with my Song Of The Day..This takes me back to the very early days of the Soul Weekender's in the early 80's. These were the days when I would never sleep, I never wanted to miss a beat. I was the 24/7 dancing machine!...Lol...Man! to be fit and young again!...Best days of my life!

The Funkmasters - "It's Over" (Original 12" 1983)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiKdBaR6 ... re=related

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6959937527d784f9/

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:03 pm 

Mikey,
Is that the same group known as T.W. FUNKMASTERS that did "(Money) No Love" the year before?????

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:32 pm 

Jay Negron wrote:
Mikey,
Is that the same group known as T.W. FUNKMASTERS that did "(Money) No Love" the year before?????

One and the same Jay.....Don't know why the name change, I think possibly to do with two seperate markets to hit, US & UK...maybe a copy infringment or marketing ploy!

The story of the groundbreaking South London producer, Tony Williams, has never been told. He’s the TW behind TW Funkmasters, whose “(Money) No Love” / “Love Money”, has been an enduring underground essential, on both sides of the Atlantic, for close on a quarter of a century, whilst sounding just as unique today as it ever did.

From a US perspective, many people are totally unaware that this is a track that originated in the UK. The mistake is an easy one to make, the assumption being that the recording had something to do with a completely different person, who shared the same name - the celebrated American jazz drummer, Tony Williams, who died in 1997.

Having started out as a DJ three decades ago at the Birds Nest in Waterloo, the Tony Williams we’re concerned with spun soul and funk during the 70s in various London clubs, including Samanthas, Le Beat Route and Gossips. However, he was best known as the Reggae Presenter with BBC Radio London (from 1978 until the station closed a decade on).

I managed to track him down via an old post I found on the internet, which mentioned a new Funk Masters album. The album has yet to materialise but Tony’s still busy working away in the studio, whilst running his own online radio station http://www.rhythm365.com.

Greg Wilson, 2004.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:32 pm 

Soul-Boy wrote:
If it moves you, we would like to hear about it...BTW..lovely choice of record for your personal Song Of The Day, I'm defo feeling that one and I think Discoguy must be a bit of a prude as I'm with you...the sexier and the tackier the better in my book!...Lol
Thanks for posting!

Anytime :wink:

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:18 pm 

Attachment:
bokool.jpg
bokool.jpg [ 218.79 KiB | Viewed 4924 times ]

BO KOOL & T.W. FUNKMASTERS: "(MONEY) NO LOVE 12" & DUB MIX 1981
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/787821734/0e ... fccdd901dc

Here is that disco funk jam you were speakin of--both versions!!!
I like the DUB!!!!! (pictured above)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:07 am 
Site Admin

Soul-Boy,

Great track from Funk Masters... Had never heard it before. It's so different from the "(Money) No Love" / "Love Money" track that I never would have guessed it was the same band... But a wonderful track !!! :D

Jay,

I love this one - the "Love Money" (Dub version) was the one doin' it for me... Still as good as way back !!! :D

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:46 pm 

Big tune for me in 1988...taken from his album "Secrets Of Fying"...

Johnny Kemp - "Just Got Paid" (1988)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibloQAv9o2E

http://www.zshare.net/audio/69791989fec78d48/

Johnny Kemp is a R&B and dance music singer and dancer born in 1959 in Nassau, Bahamas and raised in Harlem, New York. He released his self-titled debut album in 1986 and scored a minor hit with "Just Another Lover." However, true success came the following year, with the release of his Secrets of Flying album, which contained a pair of top-five hits on the R&B charts, "Dancin' with Myself" and "Just Got Paid", the latter of which went all the way to number one. "Just Got Paid" also cracked the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1988 and went to #1 on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play. His only other Hot 100 entry was "Birthday Suit," a tune from the soundtrack to the movie, Sing which climbed to #36 in 1989.

Kemp recently resurfaced on a 2007 DVD release by Keith Sweat entitled Sweat Hotel Live. This DVD features live performances by Sweat in a sort of 'reunion' with other R&B/New Jack Swing era pioneers of the late 1980s, including Teddy Riley. Kemp appears on the final track, an 'all-star finale' rendition of "Just Got Paid," originally recorded at a February 2006 concert in Atlanta, Georgia. Interestingly, Keith Sweat initially passed on the instrumental track that would eventually become "Just Got Paid," when it was first offered to him in the mid 1980s. Kemp listened to it, added his own lyrics to the melody, and "Just Got Paid" was born.

Even more recently, Johnny Kemp appeared as the featured performer (singing "Just Got Paid") at the NJS4E (New Jack Swing 4 Ever) event in New York City on September 8, 2007. As the name implies, the show was celebrating and commemorating 20 years of New Jack Swing, and it took place at Ashford & Simpson's Sugar Bar. A brief clip of Kemp's performance interspersed with commentary from others at the event appears here.

He is married and the father of two sons, Jason and Jared.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:18 pm 

"JUST GOT PAID" is a Patty-Ann favorite!!!!
In her Top 50!!!
I dig it also, but in '88 things were not so good for me---still I got the 45!!!!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:04 pm 

Fruiday is my favorite day of the week!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember when Gail form CBS brought Johnny Kemp to For The Record so we could reviesw his new song. We were jammin and could not wait for the release which was the next week. For sure, this is a Song Of The Day. Great Choice and a nice flashback.
Pooch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next

Board index » DISCO » Music