Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: KC
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:35 pm 

His first appearance was "QUEEN OF CLUBS" in '74, minor hit in the states---MAJOR hit in the UK. Then came "DO IT GOOD" - Then "GET DOWN TONIGHT" (and you need to count "ROCK YOUR BABY" by George McCrae which he produced & wrote!!!!)

Post subject: Bundle of Information
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:10 pm 

JJ,
You are a Bundle of information. Either you have an incredible knowledge of the era, or you have the entire record collection of the Disco era, INTACT! Or it could be that "Ace In The Hole" you own!! LOL-- Thanks for being here! We really appreciate you Jr!! You are the man!!

Post subject: I love music
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:52 pm 

I'm just an early fan of KC's early productions. I used to look thru the 45 bins for anything that had CASEY & FINCH on it. I was not disappointed. Music from KC, G.McCrae, Jimmy "Bo" Horne, Timmy Thomas, Clarence Reid, and Betty Wright were the JOINT back in the day!
All I need the Billboard book is for the dates! My memory for dates is bad. But I'M ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC!!!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:42 pm 

Jr.
Pepe Salvaje and I both know KC very well. PEPE better then me. He,KC, lived for a spell at THE HAMILTON which was a Condo directly south, across the street from "Tuttle's" at The Charter Club. This was 1983 or so. And KC had discovered the pleasures of CRACK. So he was but a former shell of himself. skinny, and going broke. I deejayed an outdoor Birthday party for him in the pool area of The Hamilton. It had to be the biggest party of the year. Everyone was there, Madonna, Betty Wright, Jimmy"Bo"Horne, Timmy Thomas, a young Nikki Taylor, Henry Stone, BLOW-FLY and even what was left of FOXY. The SUNSHINE BAND was there to perform. I was getting $1000 for the gig. And the BLOW!! My goodness, it was everywhere. It truly snowed in Miami on that night. Casey was to perform, but he never made it downstairs.He missed his own party, he was so fu**** up. The buzz spread through the party that he was out of it, and in no condition to come out and play! It was the beginning of him hitting ROCK-BOTTOM! He lost everything! It was a shame. Terri DeSarrio tried to help him, but he had to go totally broke and get in trouble with the law before he climbed out of the gutter. But he did climb out! Today, he is out and about, healthy, not wealthy, and much wiser. But the royalty checks still arrive every few months, so KC lives!! And lives WELL!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:27 pm 

I know he is doing well now. He does a Recovery Concert for us every year at BocaRaton, since '02.

Post subject: Billboard Disco Chart----Sept, 20, 1980
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:30 pm 

Here is the Billboard Disco Chart for Sept. 20, 1980:

*1 - LOVE SENSATION - Loleatta Holloway

*2 - GIVE ME THE NIGHT - George Benson

*3 - ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST - Queen

*4 - CAN'T FAKE THE FEELING - Geraldine Hunt

5 - UPSIDE DOWN/I'M COMING OUT - Diana Ross

6 - FAME - Irene Cara

7 - I'VE JUST BEGUN TO LOVE YOU - Dynasty

8 - QUE SERA SERA - Gibson Bros.

*9 - EMOTIONAL RESCUE - Rolling Stones

10 - LOVE DON'T MAKE IT RIGHT - Ashford & Simpson

11 - I WANNA TAKE YOU THERE NOW - Gino Soccio

*12 - WHIP IT - Devo

13 - FEEL LIKE DANCING/THE HEART TO BREAK THE HEART - France Joli

*14 - FUNKIN' FOR JAMAICA - Tom Browne

15 - SHAKE IT UP, DO THE BOOGALOO - Rod

16 - I'M READY - Kano

*17 - LET'S GET IT OFF - Cameron

*18 - BREAKAWAY - Watson Beasley

*19 - PRIVATE IDAHO/PARTY OUT OF BOUNDS/GIVE ME BACK MY MAN - B.52's

20 - LOVER'S HOLIDAY/SEARCHIN/GLOW OF LOVE - Change

Other notables down the chart:

23 - IS IT ALL OVER MY FACE - Loose Joints
26 - THE BREAKS - Kurtis Blow
27 - UNDERWATER - Harry Truman
28 - YOUR LOVE IS A LIFESAVER - Gayle Adams
*30 - IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND - Viola Wills
33 - I LIKE WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO ME - Young & Co.
*36 - WE GOT THE BEAT - The Go Go's
*38 - BIG TIME - Rick James
*51 - I NEED YOUR LOVIN' - Teena Marie
*56 - HILLS OF KAT MANDU - Tantra
*69 - MORE BOUNCE TO THE OUNCE - Zapp
74 - TAKE YOUR TIME - S.O.S. Band
*80 - FEVER/I NEED YOU - Sylvester

Tunes with an asterick [ * ] are on the way up.
If not they are on the way down.

Post subject: Ver y Interesting
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:11 pm 

In the famous words of the little German Soldier that ARTIE LANG portrayed in LAUGH-IN, VERRRY INTERESTING. There so many songs that are on that chart, that I always played. Remember ROD!! It was a good record for a while. Brings back those Memories. On that DATE, I was at a place called SAMMY'S EAST SIDE, a dive of a place in Miami Beach. The biggest mistake of my life if you know what I mean. I was able to play whatever I wanted there. I think that only WATSON BEASLEY was not played. Otherwise, I like this chart much better then the previous one you posted. Seems more accurate. Great job Jayski!!

Post subject: Chart
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:44 pm 

The Billboard Chart got better organized from the time Tom Moulton was compiling lists from certain DJs in '74.
By 1980 Many DJ's were reporting, as well as many Record Pool Charts from all over the country were added to the mix.

By Sept. 1980 the Disco backlash was behind us, music started to get fragmented into various forms. There was still traditional 'hustle' music (Loleatta Holloway), Euro-Disco (Kano, Harry Truman, Tantra), Garage or 'Downtown'(Geraldine Hunt, Tom Browne), and now New-Wave (Queen, Devo, B-52's, The Go Go's) .
Radio was also changing formats. The Disco stations would not play the New Wave or the heavy funk; and New Wave stations would not play disco. R&B stations would not play HNRG disco at all. Because of this fragmentation there were many cuts on this chart that never made many DJ's playlists or the club audiences' ears.

There were some songs I really hated cause they were so Blah & bland--->Viola Wills, & Irene Cara.
Others were just ridiculous-->Devo.
And some are part of my all time favs--->Cameron, Change, Teena Marie, Geraldine, Ashford & Simpson, and Rick James.

Last edited by Jay Negron on Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Viola Wills
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:55 pm 

Viola Wills was extremely popular. All of her Disco records got play, played, then played some more. Jay, did you just get tired of it, or did you never play it? Down here, it was a MUST play song(s). If you went "club-hopping", you might hear her four or five times a night! Plus it did really good on the charts!! I will tell you what, on your visit to The ranch House, YOU should do a special remixed medley of all of Viola Will's hits!! LOL

Post subject: Viola Wills
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:12 pm 

For The Record:
Viola Wills "IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND" was one of the biggest Disco Hits of 1980. It made #2 on Billboard's Disco chart and stayed there for 5 weeks in a row. (Geraldine Hunt was #1 at the time for 7 weeks) It was #1 on the dance floor and for many DJs.

I got sick of it the first time I heard it. My copy is still brand new. I kept it just in case I needed it and I never did.

Post subject: How About It Jay?
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:59 pm 

So How about it Jay? Sounds like Ed Martin called you out. I always believed , that a PINGU deejay could mix even songs he hated. So how about you bring your hardly used copies, our heavily used copies will be there. And you work a Viola Wills Medley into a set at The Ranch House? You Game!?

Post subject: Me & Viola, uh uh!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:15 pm 

[b]Nah, I'm gonna play songs that were important to me. BX style. You could do the Viola's and the Lipps Inc.etc.
I will stick with the 114-129 downtown sound. Gotta have melody, gotta have funk, gotta have momentum. No sleepy stuff. I don't care how well you mix Viola, it is still Viola! Lipps Inc. the same thing----->BORRRRINGG!

And that's just my perspective. Pete knows what I like!

PETE'S NOTE::: He He He He Ha Ha

Post subject: I know!!
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:24 pm 

Guys, I know for a fact. I was a Billboard reporter for almost 20 years. Many times, my lightman would fill out the paperwork. Sometimes a guest in my booth would do it. It did not matter, the Record Pool would tell Billboard whatever they wanted. And Billboard would chart whatever they wanted. Charts? Paperwork that was full of shit!

Post subject: Diffrent Chart
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:24 pm 

Ok, Here's adifferent kind of chart---it is the Top 20 DISCO ARTISTS from 1975-1979, as compiled by Joel Whitburn's "Billboard's Hot Disco/Dance":

1. DONNA SUMMER

2. THE TRAMMPS

3. THE RITCHIE FAMILY

4. GLORIA GAYNOR

5. SALSOUL ORCHESTRA

6. VICKI SUE ROBINSON

7. T-CONNECTION

8. SILVER CONVENTION/SILVER BIRD

9. CHIC

10. CAROL DOUGLAS

11. HAMILTON BOHANNON

12. VILLAGE PEOPLE

13. CERRONE

14. GRACE JONES

15. JOHN DAVIS & THE MONSTER ORCHESTRA

16. LOVE & KISSES

17. HAROLD MELVIN & THE BLUENOTES featuring TEDDY

18. DIANA ROSS

19. B.T. EXPRESS

20. BARRABAS

This was based on the charts for that period, so I wanna know-->How did Hamilton Bohannon get up to #11 in front of Village People, Cerrone, Grace, John Davis, Alec R.C., Harold/Teddy, and Diana.
No freakin way man!!!!

Where are The BeeGees?????

Did they miss anybody else? Did they hype anybody else besides Bohannon?

Post subject: Where Are Those Bee Gees
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:31 pm 

Yes they hyped these charts as well. HAMILTON BOHANNON?? Please! No Bee Gees! But BOHANNON?? What's up with that? -- I am over CHARTS! They all sucked. Until 1985, everynight, as taught to me by Ed"The Worm"Rothstein, I kept a notebook by my turntables. There I would keep track of crowd reaction, of how many people left and entered the dance floor. Using that formula, I made my charts. In 1984, at Club Mystique, it somehow, made KID CREOLE'S-- MY MALE CURIOSITY the number one song of the year. Was I biased? Not Really. It got the best response of all songs played that year. It always packed my floor. But......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » DISCO » Music