Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject: More
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:52 pm 

Also Cown Heights Affair, Taana Gardner, well you know what I mean>

Hey U must have loved Salsoul Orch. You have them listed TWICE on your list! (#4 and #7)
That's ok Papi, I dug them too!!!!!

PETE's NOTE:: HA HA HA LOL.
What You talking about!!

Post subject: What did You Think Of Patti Brooks
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:05 pm 

Patti Brooks!! While not too many hit songs, the ones she did have rocked, and EVERYONE played them. Remember WBLS & WKTU used to burn out POPCORN Collage!! AFTER DARK, I will make a special remix of that this Saturday! She was extremely popular from 76-78. Remember!!

Post subject: Re: Probably True
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:52 am 

[color=#FF0000]

Hey Jay, I was reading your post about Stereo Lounge, Funky Bear and ACT III. I really have to disagree. If Stereo Lounge customers were 90% guidos, what were ACT IIIs? 110%? Nick was fond of saying the Italian in my family did not count because we did not come from far enough south!

As it happens, I built the system at Stereo Lounge and lost the contract to do ACT III when my partner, "Al The Jeweler" Recippero's Caddy broke down on the Bronx River going to a meeting. Al did come from far enough south.

Ray Gray, from Graycom Soundstage and Electrotech Service Labs, got the contract and made a puzzling series of bad disco design choices that would have been sort of OK in the commercial sound area he specialized in:

QRK / Rek-O-Cut Radio Station turntables with no speed controls and zero feedback isolation mounted directly to the booth structure so any bump by a patron going by would send the arm merrily skipping across the record.

The Meteor Clubman Mixer, known for blowing both speakers and amps.

5 Phase Linear 400 Amps, not known for reliability or speaker survival.

NO BASS SPEAKER AT ALL

a $5,000.00 Eventide Digital Delay feeding a single small 2 way Bozak Speaker at the bar.

4 (6?) Meteor Sound panels (a piece of particle board with 6 of the cheapest 12" speakers made, with 10 oz. magnets, plus one EV T350 Tweeter all covered in black cloth, and no I am not exaggerating).

2 Urei 1/3 octave EQs trying to make salt water into wine.....

1 Teac 2300 reel to reel.

Not sure I would brag about spinning here.

Nick paid $21,000.00 for this and promptly thereafter Ray's back was broken-literally. It seems a tanker truck smashed into Ray's car, then backed up and hit it again. Ray was never the same and Nick bragged about it.

Uno's Cafe, Stereo Lounge, Cork & Bottle, Sahara, The Milky Way were some of my early jobs and all featured custom speakers of my design that whipped Act III's system at half the cost. All had Technics 1100's or 1200's-with speed controls. In The Stereo Lounge, they were set on a 7' x 7' block of solid concrete, no feedback, no skipping if someone bumped into the booth.

I did give Nick one of the scaled up Klipsch corner horns that I designed with the late Dick Long from Disco Sound Associates (horn) and the late Tony Perino from AST (custom driver), allowing some bottom end to be felt. I am still waiting to get paid for that.

Nick's reputation was getting around and after he tried some hands and guns on "after the sale" discount negotiating with me, despite my gear delivering the goods, he was left with Chuck Fazzino who was using me everywhere else at the time.

Now the $360k interior was pretty in a tasteless guido sort of way but totally impractical and an exercise in design lunacy. A Joke at best with overdressed posers falling over the white naugahide stage platform in the middle of the dance floor. The entire club, including the bar could fit in the Blue Room at the Stereo Lounge so it was hardly the biggest club in the Bronx and was a dump compared to A&P heir Huntington Hartford's Cork and Bottle.

Getting back to The Bear. After Al's cousin got engaged to Tony Geo, now he was a real DJ, Hollywood, The Turntable, Copacabana etc. Tony and Bobby Gordon, another real DJ, engineer and record producer, would both come up and giive lessons on their days off to Lenny and the other guys we had playing in the area. His musical mixing style improved markedly. Those "Car Crash" changes you mention were done on purpose to shuffle the crowd.

Far more critical to the clubs success was the fact that people LOVED HIM! Even after Frankie Peep came down from The Second Floor, Funky Bear continued to pack'em in at Tardi's (Now Villa Barone).

Stereo Lounge used to take in $3,000.00 (in 1973-4 dollars) at THE DOOR,,,ON A THURSDAY,,, WITHOUT A LIVE ACT,,, JUST THE BEAR! It's bouncers did not carry guns or perform contract work for the owners

I hope this refreshes your memory on the dollars and sense of the Disco Era in The Bronx.

Best regards,

Tom Maguire
aka Mr. Tom north of 225th ST,
and AudioTom to the Morris Park crowd, back in the day.
TMI Audio Engineering
Since 1971
http://www.tmiaudio.com
[/color]

Jay Negron wrote:
Papi, I don't think it was really bogus. By 1975 Vince Aletti was compiling the Chart from 'reporting' DJs from all over the country; Yes the majority was from the NYC metro area but he was an up & up guy; and the charts were pretty consistant by then.

Also at the time there was a lot of "rookie/wannabe" DJs just breaking in and really would play anything at anytime. There was a DJ at the competing club in the Bronx---His DJ name was 'Funky Bear' (Lenny Carroll)---he would play "Dance Wit Choo" & "Get Dancin" back-to-back at the height of the night for weeks! And this was a straight 90% Guido crowd he was playing for (at the 'Stereo Lounge'). He was clueless and he played over a year at one of the bigger clubs in the Bronx. He had connections.

I was spinning at 'ACT III" 5 nights a week until the owner wanted to give his nephew one of the nights. I graciously gave up Thursday night (I needed the break)---but I warned the boss that it would not be good for business. The guy lasted only 2 weeks (less than clueless)----but he had a connection and got to play in the biggest (at the time) club in the Bronx!

In the beginning there were lots of people 'posing' as DJs but WE KNEW WHO WAS FAKING THE FUNK!

Post subject: Re: The Billboard Charts!!
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:00 pm 

Say Tom, I'm not denying 'Funky Bear' his popularity.
He played for the crowd and they ate it up.
Played the same 15 songs all night long at The Playhouse.
I spun WITH him before 'Stereo Lounge' in the small bar called 'The Playhouse' on Williamsbridge Rd.

Totally bush league for a disco, but they were packed every nite.
When Stereo Lounge opened up The Playhouse lost half their crowd!!!

I agree Act III & Nicky & his nephew were running the joint like a pizzaria. Two months later he finally got a pair of 1100s in and upped the system a bit but not enough.

I left to spin at Tropicalia, whose system was ANOTHER story at first. (2 Gerrards on rubber bands for my first 6 months there).

They got smart later on. I spun at Act III about 6-8 months.
I spun at Tropicalia from 76-80 the majority of my active spinning career.

Wonder what happened to the Funky Bear?????

Nice to speak with you, finally someone that remembers the old days!!!!!!
Frankie Peeps was THE BOMB!!!!!
He was my frekin IDOL in the early goin!!!
Tony Gio too!!

Post subject: Re: The Billboard Charts!!
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:39 am 

It is the best idea to make a reviews on the different albums and songs through The Biiboard charts. This would give a latest news about the latest music, articles, videos and many more enjoyable things. The Billboard chart is the best information which includes collection of sales, streaming and radio play.

Post subject: Re: I love music
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:29 pm 

Jay Negron wrote:
I'm just an early fan of KC's early productions. I used to look thru the 45 bins for anything that had CASEY & FINCH on it. I was not disappointed. Music from KC, G.McCrae, Jimmy "Bo" Horne, Timmy Thomas, Clarence Reid, and Betty Wright were the JOINT back in the day!
All I need the Billboard book is for the dates! My memory for dates is bad. But I'M ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC!!!!!

This post id little is quite a year old but I would say KC's production is good. These all are biggest hits and they even rock the charts.

Board index » DISCO » Music