Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: SONGS THAT I HATED!
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:22 pm 

I know there are many DJs that won't admit to playing anything they didn't like; but as the Disco scene got bigger and audiences got more diversified there were some songs I HAD to play for them that I did not like at all! Example:
"FUNKYTOWN"- Lipps Inc. I couldn't stand this song. Too Bubble gummy!My copy is sorta still new. Another song I didn't like at all:
"ROMEO & JULIET"-Alec R. Constadinos. Too dull & stringy. It was too much like the other songs. I hated a song that would copy from another. Keeping with the same 'vibe' is one thing. But almost exact copys, just change the words around just didn't get my attention.

Any other DJs felt the same way????

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:50 pm 

I am with you on Funkytown but for different reasons. The female vocals were too shrill for my taste. The same is true of the female vocalist in Lime.

Romeo & Juliet was mint in its day, but only the first 15 mins or so. After that it did become redundant.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:00 pm 

The first 15 mins? I thought the song was only 18 mins long? I didn't like it after the first 10 seconds!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:01 pm 

Songs I hated and would not play no matter what.

Electric Slide (It's Electric)
Disco Duck
The Chicken Dance (is that the actual name? you know which one I'm talking about)
I Will Survive

I know there's a few more that I can't remember.

To tell you the truth I don't ever recall that I had to play a song that I did not like. the closest I got to something like that was that I was offered $100 bucks to play New York, New York for my closing song over mine and I refused. Call me stupid for not taking the $100 bucks but I stood my ground. (I might have done it for 200)

Last edited by djrayj on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: MORE
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:06 pm 

I got 2 more I didn't like:

"INSTANT REPLAY"-Dan Hartman--those girls counting in the beginning made me sick--It was so tacky--
I did like his other songs---->"Countdown", "Love Sensation",
"Relight My Fire", "I Can Dream About You", "Keep The Fire Burning", even "Free Ride" with the Edgar Winter Group----It's just "Instant Replay" got me eeeeeeeeecccchhhhhhh!

"I WILL SURVIVE" - Gloria Gaynor----->booooorrrrrrriiiinnnng!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:13 pm 

Jay Negron wrote:
The first 15 mins? I thought the song was only 18 mins long? I didn't like it after the first 10 seconds!

I just remember that it was the first quarter of the first side of the record that I liked, hence the 15 min assumption. Once the first few verses were sung and the excessive strings took over, it became dull. However, I do still like that first part even after all these years.

Post subject: Call Me!!
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 pm 

Call Me a fool, but there was only one song, ONE, piece of crap Song I would never ever play. That ass**** Rick Dees gave us DISCO DUCK!! I was known to hunt down deejays who played it, demand that record and break it in front of them! Then I would give them at least $5 for that honor! But there were other songs that required "compensation" of one form or another to get on my turntables. I was guilty many times of playing a song, such as CALL ME by Blondie, only when the females requesting it properly "took care" of me! Once, the compensation was so good, I made them(YES THEM) a 45 minute cassette remix of CALL ME. They never asked again. At other times I would simply show whomever asked for the song, the record, snap it in two, and inform them the record was broken! See I could be a DICK!! Now the great equalizer was the "TIP". I could easily be bought, excuse me, talked into playing a certain record. The tip had to supersede my dislike of the song. Money talks, bull**** walks!

Post subject: DuCk?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:32 pm 

I didn't even count things like 'DISCO DUCK' or 'FIFTH OF BETHOBAN' (can't spell--so what). Those weren't even a consideration. I have never ever played them. Don't have em.
"Bits & Pieces Medley" also I never played. yuk!
"IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND"-Viola Wills; another song I didn't like/didn't play. Boring Stuff!!!!

Post subject: Re: DuCk?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:53 pm 

Jay Negron wrote:
I didn't even count things like 'DISCO DUCK' or 'FIFTH OF BETHOBAN' (can't spell--so what). Those weren't even a consideration. I have never ever played them. Don't have em.
"Bits & Pieces Medley" also I never played. yuk!
"IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND"-Viola Wills; another song I didn't like/didn't play. Boring Stuff!!!!

Viola Wills was big in gay clubs. Her songs were ok covers but not the greatest next big thing in my opinion.

We can all agree that Disco Duck was the dumbest record in history. I never did care for the Meco Star Wars stuff either. Again, it was a novelty but not something I would want to play repeatedly.

Post subject: Yukky Songs.com
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:09 pm 

Oh yeah that STAR WARS/MECO stuff! Played it once---hated it---and everyone at Tropicalia loved it. I tossed it after a month.
Another one that was yuk---->I LOVE LUCY DISCO. Tossed it when I got it.
"BABY FACE" by Wing & A Prayer lasted a little longer than that, but not much. ("EASE ON DOWN" was THE JOINT!!!!)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:17 pm 

The funny thing is that Disco Lucy mess became a huge collectors item for a lot of dj's.

Baby Face, it was cute and did manage to bring in an older crowd into the fold of disco due to the familiarity of the song, but certainly nothing great in comparison. Again, everyone wanted on board the gravy train and found any way they could to get there.

Post subject: I got a couple!
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:30 pm 

I got a couple,-- DOUBLE DUTCH BUS played it twice!
ELECTRIC SLIDE played it ONCE in a club, but many times at parties for Ed Martin. There are more, I will add them as I remember!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:32 pm 

You'd classify Double Dutch Bus disco? Ok, then in a similar vein Buffalo Grils. Could NOT stand that track.

Post subject: NO NO NO!!
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:58 pm 

I got those records through the record pool, and they were played at some DISCOS, but calling it DISCO Music is really pushing it, isn't it. So I agree, but either way, both of those songs really sucked!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:57 pm 

Pete or maybe someone on the list can answer this question.

What the hell IS a Buffalo Gal anyway? All I envisioned when that song was out was a big heavy hairy woman. Too much information even for me!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » DISCO » Music