Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject: What Becomes A Legend Most?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:47 pm 

Hi Folks!

Some of you may recall that once upon a time, there was a female impersonator named Jimmy James. At the outset of his career, he did the most realistic and lifelike impersonation of Marilyn Monroe that was so authentic, it was tough to tell the real Marilyn from the impersonator. That portion of his career is all available on video on www.youtube.com under the name Jimmy James in the section "The Marilyn Years."

These days, Jimmy still wows audiences with his vocal impersonatins without doing the full drag any longer but he has, as of late, begun a career making great dance music. His song Fashionista has become an underground sensation and was even used most recently on "America's Got Talent" where a group of young people did a dance routine to that particular song.

I would like to direct those of you interested in a revitalized version of disco to check out Jimmy's songs on myspace at his page:
http://www.myspace.com/jimmyjames

Once you hear the brilliance of this man, you will be hooked on his songs like so many others I have introduced the music to.

I would love to hear what you think of his music too!

Mike V

Post subject: Guess What
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:28 pm 

Mike,
Look forward to the new mixes I will do on the 23rd, I will use Jimmy James!! FASHIONISTA is a good song!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:49 am 

...I remember Jimmy James and The Vagabonds, they had a minor discohit with 'I'll go where your music takes me' and 'disco fever' produced by Biddu.
This was in 1976 so the other Jimmy James mentioned in this thread surely can never be the same??

after checking his myspace-page the guy surely ain't the same act...Jimmy James, the 'female impersonator' looks like a sad reject of a Andy Warhol lookalike contest and
his music sounds just like the sort of stuff that was played at European raves....10 years ago

he wants to be famous! Cool! But why should this clone be famous??
certainly not for being original....just another wannabe. Nuff said

Post subject: Wow!!!
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:53 pm 

Eddy!! That was vicious! If you listen to FASHIONISTA, it is a pretty good song. As For I'LL GO WHERE YOUR MUSIC TAKES ME, that was pure DISCO, pure magic. That JIMMY JAMES was early in the Disco era. This one was a young boy back then.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:50 pm 

eedeecee wrote:

...I remember Jimmy James and The Vagabonds, they had a minor discohit with 'I'll go where your music takes me' and 'disco fever' produced by Biddu.
This was in 1976 so the other Jimmy James mentioned in this thread surely can never be the same??

after checking his myspace-page the guy surely ain't the same act...Jimmy James, the 'female impersonator' looks like a sad reject of a Andy Warhol lookalike contest and
his music sounds just like the sort of stuff that was played at European raves....10 years ago

he wants to be famous! Cool! But why should this clone be famous??
certainly not for being original....just another wannabe. Nuff said

Since you are European, your faux pas can be certainly forgiven and I can only hope to enlighten you on some of the points you posed.

First off, Jimmy James has been in business for about 25 years. First as one of the top paid female impersonators of all time, including being hired for billboard ads that were in Times Square. The second half of his career is dedicated to making dance music.

All of his songs were written by the same people who created the internaltional hit band iiO. After the music was written, Jimmy spent a few years writing the lyrics to match the songs.

The songs are a reflection of his observations of life around him. Hence, Fashionista points a jaded eye at the pretentions of the fashion world. The track Famous came about due to all of the crazyiness in this country that makes paparazzi stars, thereby giving the youth of today the wrong message. The idea behind "famous" was a third person account sung in the first person where one of these young folks thinks that all they have to do is be "famous" and their life would completely change.

As for the Andy Warhol look, I am so glad you got it! That was acutally intentional because this years show is entitled "Pop Diva" and is a dedication to Andy Warhol in what would have been his 80th birthday. Having seen the show already, Jimmy poured a lot of love into the show and the tribute and really pulled it off. The show has been running in Provincetown for the summer to standing room only crowds and should be going on the road later this year.

As far as the music being behind the times, alas, America has always been behind Europe in tone and style, but this IS the style that is popular here now.

Since you didn't care for the music though, how about letting us hear some of the music you have created and sung so we can get an idea of what is up to the minute in other parts of the world.

Post subject: BEHAVE
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:56 pm 

Boys, Behave!-- I personally like FASHIONISTA, and as a Macho Straight man, it is funny that I say that about a Female Impersonator. But the song is playable, and it could be considered a minor hit! Wait until Pete does a remix of it on the 23rd. I hope he remixes it!! Mike you got it on VINYL?? If you do, you should make sure Pete has two copies!! I am looking forward to see what he does with it. I wonder what PINKY thinks about that song?

Post subject: Huh?
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:08 pm 

Jose?

What did I say? I just clarified some questions.

As far as Vinyl, I know Jimmy has some in vinyl but I have to wait till he moves back to NYC to get copies.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:58 pm 

mavjb wrote:

As for the Andy Warhol look, I am so glad you got it! That was acutally intentional because this years show is entitled "Pop Diva" and is a dedication to Andy Warhol in what would have been his 80th birthday. Having seen the show already, Jimmy poured a lot of love into the show and the tribute and really pulled it off. The show has been running in Provincetown for the summer to standing room only crowds and should be going on the road later this year

mavjb, I don't question the integrity nor the talent of the 'legendary' Jimmy James, I only refer to the title of this thread' what becomes a legend most?' I believe that being famous is totally different than becoming a legend. It's a different quality. The Beegees were famous before they were billed as living legends during Saturday Night Fever fame. Larry Levan was a famous dj, yet he became a legendary dj. Why??

Being a legend imo is not only about your ability to copy stars nor their standards....those standards were set long time ago by true individual talents and have rarely been surpassed by impersonators. There's no new Mae West and there will seldom be a new Marilyn Monroe!!

You have to be able set your own standards and leave a legacy that will last forever...and ever...not just for 15 Pop Diva minutes. I want to see the REAL Jimmy James asap

Post subject: What Is Wrong With 15 minutes??
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:01 am 

Sorry to butt in, but what is wrong with 15 minutes of fame?? There are literally thousands of acts that never make it, possibly millions. So every-now-and-then, some get lucky, in the right place at the right time, the right tune, and they get their 15 minutes. They too become legends. Maybe not what you are talking about, but better then being an act that never gets the 15 minutes?? I like FASHIONISTA, it might give Jimmy James his 15!! Is that bad? No, more power to him.

BUT.... I know what you are saying Eddy!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:28 pm 

For the past 25 years, Jimmy has indeed been a legend in gay clubs. There never has been an impersonator who was able to do what he did and to the same skill and precision.

If you want to see the "real" Jimmy you would naturally have to come to Provincetown to see his show at the moment.

In the meantime, his Jamestown Cd continues to receive club play, Fashionista hit #15 on Billboard in the Dance charts and was even utilized on America's Got Talent with a Texas dance troupe who went to LA for the finals.

In the meantime, you can go to youtube to catch up on everything Jimmy, check out his myspace page or even go to www.jimmyjames.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:59 pm 

Jimmy is getting raves in the papers and magazines in P-town!

http://www.edgeptown.com/index.php?ch=p ... wnmagazine

Post subject: Listen To A song First!
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:47 am 

You guys got to realize something. Honestly, I laughed at the concept of this JIMMY JAMES, the FORMER Female Impersonator actually being a "legit" act. I say this now. Listen to this guy's voice. He really can sing, very impressively, and quite honestly, MUCH,MUCH BETTER then the 70's Jimmy James. This guy has a very powerful and distinctive voice. I hope he is young enough to really make it. After I played, and remixed FASHIONISTA this past weekend, I heard a very strong and catchy song, that should be in everyone's rotation. This is a great Dance song, very reminiscent of some great DISCO! So I give my Kudos to Mike> Thanks for turning me on to this great singer.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:45 pm 

Thanks Pete!

Now, where the heck are all these latest mixes of yours posted? I am hunting high and low, so a road map would be appreciated!

Post subject: If Pete Likes It....
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:15 am 

I have known Pete for close to 35 years. As a deejay, he could do it all, beyond compare. But the best thing, his best asset, is his ability to spot a hit, a winner. He told me about songs, at times, years before they were hits. He would get a stack of new records, listen to them, and always, take a song, and say. This will be a big hit. Or this will get played but not be commercially viable. Then mostly said, this song sucks. He was always right. Very few times has he been wrong. SO, when he says to the world," Listen to this guy JIMMY JAMES", I will listen. So I went on my computer, SAW Jimmy, and laughed. He amused me. BUT, when I HEARD him sing, Jimmy blew me away. Why did he waste his time for so long, I understand that he doesn't feel that way. But, he is really a great vocalist. Let's hope that he can overcome what obstacles are in front of him, and get the rewards he deserves!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:28 am 

Hi DJ ED!

Glad you like his voice.

As far as Jimmy wasting his time, I guess it is all a matter of perspective. At the height of his impersonation days he made 5 grand for a one hour show. Don't know too many people with or without an education who can boast that!

Thing has been that most people knew him for his voices and weren't ready to take his "dance" music seriously. He did release a couple of songs back in the 80's that were minor movers. With his Jamestown CD, he pulled out all the stops to show the world where he is heading. I think the world is ready now too.

Board index » DISCO » Music