Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject: BEST SONG TO DANCE "The Hustle"
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:16 pm 

This goes to all dancers, dj's and freaks. A very simple question.--What one song was best for dancing the HUSTLE??-- I go with Alec Costandino's Classic "ROMEO and JULIET". The entire album was great for dancing, especially the first side. What do you think??

Post subject: Many great ones!
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:37 pm 

DJ Chulo, I have been waiting for you to show up!! About time Gallego. As for this subject. I lived and danced through the HUSTLE era, saw, heard, danced to many songs. YOU SHOULD BE DANCING by The Bee Gees was great, so was ROMEO & JULIET, DON RAY, VOYAGE, DONNA SUMMER, even BARRY WHITE and The Love Unlimited. But you have to go with VAN McCOY and the original, "THE HUSTLE". What was better? That song was made for that!! Also COME ON BABY LETS DO THE LATIN HUSTLE was great. But if it one you want, then it is THE HUSTLE!!! What was the best song for the twist? THE TWIST!!!What was best for the hustle, THE HUSTLE!!

Post subject: Hustle
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:16 pm 

My vote goes to:

The Fatback Band's "SPANISH HUSTLE" 12" mix (Event promo-'75)

Post subject: great one
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:15 pm 

TOUGH, VERY VERY TOUGH to argue with that choice!! Jr was there! He should know!!

Post subject: Re: BEST SONG TO DANCE "The Hustle"
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:01 pm 

DJ Chulo wrote:
This goes to all dancers, dj's and freaks. A very simple question.--What one song was best for dancing the HUSTLE??-- I go with Alec Costandino's Classic "ROMEO and JULIET". The entire album was great for dancing, especially the first side. What do you think??

While the whole concept of the hustle brought dancing to the forefront, personally, I could never stand that whole couple dancing concept.

I was so happy when free style dancing became the rage and people were able to dance with one another without having to be attached like velcro.

Most of the couple dances didn't allow for enough body movement in my day so once the DJ cranked the beat the dancers just turned up the heat!

Post subject: Wait a Second
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:14 pm 

Yo Mike,
Disco was the HUSTLE. That is what it was about, the idea of two partners spinning and turning through the dance floor was the essence of DISCO. Now, granted, it wasn't for everybody. In fact, it wasn't for most people. So the HUSTLE wasn't around too long. But while it was there, it was impressive to dance, and watch. Ballroom dancing at its best. I remember all the GAY couples swinging and really enjoying themselves. The straight couples couldn't HUSTLE as good as the GAY couple. I was a judge at MANY a dance contest throughout the years, and I saw it change and evolve. Only when DISCO faded to FREESTYLE did that change. That was what was so great, couple dancing, freestyle, remember, LINE DANCING!! God I though that was so ugly and dumb. Funny how Country & Western music adaopted that. Those were the DAYS!! Got to get LANDY to talk about this. Yo LANDY!! Where are you???

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:25 pm 

I realize without the "hustle," there wouldn't be the "bump" or the "electric slide."

You gotta remember, back when those were in fashion I was a teen whose female friends couldn't dance to save their lives. Had many bruises to prove it too LOL

I did like to basically do my own thing and get lost in the music without being mauled by a dance partner.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:52 pm 

well you all, let me first say that I would not be saying to all dancers, dj's and freaks, I say to all Disco lover's, I am an ex dancer / instructor and dj, I am ok with Romeo and Juliet but it was too long and boring at times, there were great songs to hustle to, from Cerrone, France jolie, Love and Kisses and many more, I will give some great titles from the top of my head other then the groups that I mentioned above, here you go: Doctor's orders, midnight love affair, Shame, siging in the rain, best of my love, there were just so many songs that made us get up and run to the dance floor and just rip it, but one thing that we were not was freaks. we were the best in the dance scene for many many years and I will tell you that when a few of us would go to NEW York city for the weekend the ladies in NY would love to dance with us, and the local boys then, hated us.

Post subject: HUSTLE
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:42 am 

Landy is/was a great dancer, we met many years ago, I judged some of his Dance Contests, then we re-connected earlier this year. Landy had no trouble expressing his emotions through Dancing. He was limber, energetic, and classy. I take much weight in his opinion about THE HUSTLE, after all he toured the East Coast HUSTLING!!

Post subject: Donna Summer
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:33 pm 

Remember all her early albums, when Giorgio Moroder produced her. That stuff was great. I loved I LOVE YOU and COULD IT BE MAGIC. Plenty of it was great to hustle to.

Post subject: The History Of The Hustle
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:34 pm 

Most Disco dances have strong roots in Swing, Samba, Cha Cha, Mambo, Merengue, Fox Trot and Tango. The Hustle is believed to have originated in New York in 1970. It went through many variations in the seventies, with line dances for groups of people, solo movements that came and went, and partnership dances. These partnership dances included The Basic Hustle, Latin, Spanish and Tango Hustle, and the most popular Street, Three-Count or Swing Hustle that originated in California as the street Hustle by skaters in Venice and Malibu. John Travolta and "Saturday Night Fever" made dancing the "in" thing for many people, especially men.

Popular disco music of the 70's included Bee Gees "Stayin' alive", "Night fever", "More than a woman", "Everybody Dance" (Chic) and Donna Summer's "Love to love you baby".

Hustle is danced to the contemporary pop dance music of the last 20 years. It is a fast, smooth dance, with the lady spinning almost constantly, while her partner draws her close and sends her away.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only things left by those who hustle." ... Abraham Lincoln.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:20 am 

Have to say Santa Esmeralda Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood probably on of the best paced hustle albums ever. Also loved Carol Douglas Burnin Album. Had the cut Fell In Love great hustle tune.

http://myspace.com/hippietorrales

http://hippietorrales.podOmatic.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:40 pm 

How about "Love Magic" by John Davis? :D

Post subject: Hard to forget
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:26 am 

I always thought that that Fag Peter Allen had a great dance song in I GO TO RIO. Very GAY, very short. But great to do turns and twists!

PETE'S NOTE:: You dance too! Holy Shi*! You are amazing Finley! And to "FAG", "GAY" music??

Post subject: Love Magic
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:10 am 

Yea Discobone----"LOVE MAGIC" was the joint. All the latin hustle dancers loved it.
(I still play the 12")

Board index » DISCO » Music