Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:04 pm 

Around 1978 when the more ballroom-y (travoltaesque if you will) style of the hustle was still big news here with lots of dips and dramatic posing, Barry Manilow's "Copacabana" was a hot tune to PERFORM to. Within seconds of the the first beats the showoffs were on the floor, yours truly included: look what WE can do! With no internet or youtube, it took quite a while for the latest American moves to reach these shores. Things usually evolved quicker during the summer months when people came back from their summer holiday destinations. In Britain though, they apparently never had the real hustle at all - correct me if I'm wrong but several connoiseurs claim so and I for one never saw it done in London. What they called the hustle was a strange touch dance, with the couples joined by their hands only. Holding their palms upwards, they shoved each other this way and that with jerky movements, with none of the style, grace or sensuality of the real hustle. No spinning, nothing but pushing and shoving. In France, they mostly mistook rock'n'roll or the jive for the hustle and took on the floor with un-syncopated motions, lots of violent twisting of poor women's arms and total disregard to the beat. Spanish dancers were indefinitely better, bringing in trad flamenco styles, dramatic hand gestures and flashings of fans. Barcelona, what a city already during the 70's, well on it's way to become the party capital of the world after NYC fell during the 80's. In Italy, they did the hustle quite well too. Still, in Europe you never ever saw a disco filled with skilled hustle dancers, it did not catch on like it did in the USA, even with the Saturday Night Fever breaking box office records. Line dancing was actually more popular, with what Karen Lustgarten the most well known disco dance teacher here called the L.A. Hustle . In Japan, with it's tradition towards uniformity, it was especially huge according to local experts. I never went there myself during the disco heyday but the vinyls I've bought from Tokyo later have leaflets inside with instructions of all sorts of then current dances like the freak etc. I once paid a visit to Leningrad in the Soviet Union back in the day, and teached some extremely attractive young ladies the steps to the latin hustle in a big club along the Nevsky Prospect. Chic-chica-chic-chica-chic...That was my contribution to the internationalization of the disco scene.

Post subject: JUSSI
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:25 pm 

But hopefully, you did not learn to Hustle from those YouTube Finnish dance instructors!! LOL -- To my knowledge, the Puerto Ricans, the Dominicans and the Cubans became the best HUSTLE dancers in the world. They added SALSA steps and turns, and were the stars of the dancefloors. In fact if you check out SALSA dancing, it is the HUSTLE!! MERENGUE dancers use HUSTLE moves all the time. LINE DANCING to DISCO???? Yuk!! The pits! They should have kept that country stuff on the farm! Especially in TOKYO!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:09 pm 

CORRECTION WATSON SALSA AND MERENGE WERE THERE LONG BEFORE THE HUSTLE CAME ALONG, IN FACT THE HUSTLE WAS CREATED AND COPIED FROM SALSA AND BECAME A DANCE THANKS TO SALSA DANCERS, AND OF COURSE WE ARE THE BEST DANCERS IS IN OUR BLOOD LATINA.

Post subject: Re: JUSSI
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:41 am 

[quote="Pete Denis"] LINE DANCING to DISCO???? Yuk!! The pits! They should have kept that country stuff on the farm! Especially in TOKYO!![/quote]
I thought line dancing was a lot of fun in the beginning but once the film came out you could not be seen stepping in formation of course - way too crass and too horribly polyester. If the flatfooted people who went to the kind of dance classes you witnessed in the Finnish video danced in a line you would not lower yourself to that level, would you? - How did people outside US learn the hustle or the freak? Magazines started printing instructions and there were disco specials on television a lot. Most Americans we met were students and most seemed to be into rock. Still, we got the odd bit of info every now and then. The best solution was naturally to fly to New York. I once took a month long trip to San Francisco too, in 1978, but the scene was not as hectic there as it was in the east coast.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:22 pm 

Learn da hustle! Explained by Giorgio Moroder and Jellybean Benitez:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZcY5vxLbpA

Post subject: The Hustle???
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:47 pm 

I could not think of 2 people that had NOTHING TO DO AT ALL with the Hustle, than Giorgio & Jellybean.

Post subject: Re: The Hustle???
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:04 pm 

Jay Negron wrote:
I could not think of 2 people that had NOTHING TO DO AT ALL with the Hustle, than Giorgio & Jellybean.
LOL, people always say Giorgio and me have the same accent when we speak English.

Now, Pete, a friend of ours, Mr. Mix, rates this one amongst the best dance vids ever. This spells D.I.S.C.O to him and to me. This vid captures the whole era, he says and I do agree!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haWRlC4DJAY

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:24 am 

Some 7 years ago a journalist friend of mine from England interviewed Giorgio Moroder about his film scores, and being a diehard disco fan, told him how much he loved "From Here To Eternity". Giorgio replied "oh...one of those...which one was that, what was it like, I don't remember". Of course since that, Giorgio has been eating a lot of fish, which is good for one's memory, as he has been able to discuss his disco output in detail for a quite while now.

Post subject: Giorgio and The Hustle!
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:45 pm 

Well, I know of no-one who can teach you how to hustle better then Giorgio Moroder. His flawless moves on the Dance floor were a thing of beauty. I remember watching him in all those hustle dance contests in New York City! The way he would toss those women around the dance floor. It was so great, his expertise on the stainless steel was a thing of beauty. He easily was the best on the dance floor! ..........Wait, that was a drug flashback, yeah, under the influence, everyone was a great HUSTLE dancer!! Now, that Sylvester video did show the dancers of the era doing it the way I remember it being done. DJ Eli and LANDY were hustle experts, wish they would make an appearance on this thread, and really educate us!!

Board index » DISCO » Music