Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject: Another Possibility
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:58 pm 

My Wife since 1986, and a graduate of the TDI school of Disco Deejays, was sitting here and in conversation has an opinion. Her choice is what I have been waiting for... A "Donna Summer" song. She tells me that in the middle of the era, MCARTHUR PARK identified disco... She is basing it on the fact the when dancing disco to that song, it seemed perfect. It was made especially to get you dancing and keep you on the floor The best dancing song of the disco era. PERIOD!

Post subject: Here Is Some Food For Thought!!
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:26 am 

I was working on a Sunday Night at The Copacabana in New York City, the Club had just reopened in Spring of 1973. That night. the club had it's first Salsa night. The place was packed. The group performing was called TIPICA NOVEL, but the names of the groups changed often, but it seemed that all the local Spanish Bands had the same great group of musicians. Eddie Drennon, a Washington D.C. native was a very used musician by all the bands. The Black Violin player was easily the very best fiddle player I ever heard. He was the musical genius that arranged all the groups songs. They had just finish a set, and I mixed into their last song. They finished, but Eddie and a few of the percussion players played along with a Van McCoy song I was playing. I heard them, they were jamming. It was better then the record. I slowly lowered the sound, until it was this SALSA band performing an "out of the blue" song that they were improvising. It was Cuban Charanga Music ,jazzed up with a DISCO flavor. They played and played. JAMMING. I told them it was fantastic, and within months, a 12" record followed an earlier release of a 7" song called "Come On Baby Let's Do The Spanish Hustle" Or the LATIN hustle. The word that matters is HUSTLE. THAT is what defined DISCO, THE HUSTLE. Whether it was Van McCoy's original DO THE HUSTLE, or the sons it gave birth to. THE HUSTLE was DISCO, and DISCO music was made to HUSTLE!!! The very best Disco song ever should be what it was all about!! THE HUSTLE!! That too should be considered.

Post subject: The Hustle
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:48 am 

I am not sure that THE HUSTLE is the most popular song, DISCO wasn't as popular when it was released, it got more popular in later years. But it was responsible for the buzz that Disco was creating. I believe that without THE HUSTLE, Disco would not have been as popular. Can you follow that thought?

Post subject: On Marlin Label??
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:27 pm 

VOYAGE!!! The First Album!! END OF STORY!!

Post subject: PERCEPTIONS
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:37 pm 

Perceptions are different from person to person. That's what makes this site the best. Everyone has a different perception of what the best was, the most popular was.

I was looking at a site that said they had a TOP 700 DISCO SONGS CHART, and you know what was #1 ??? "SOUVENEIRS" by Voyage. I couldn't believe it. My favorite song from that LP was "LADY AMERICA"---the others were too "la di da" for me. (my perception)[/b]

Post subject: Jay, I know!
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:12 pm 

JJ,
I am very familiar with what site and which chart you looked at. Let's analyze that a little. Please, be real! I guess anyone can list their favorite songs, if their first song is totally incorrect, the rest cannot be taken seriously. I dismiss that "chart" and any "chart" that doesn't list the best selling or most requested song first. Did "Souvenirs" ever go Gold, Or Platinum, or double Gold. Didn't Some of Michael Jackson's songs out-sell everyone else? Where was BILLIE JEAN? Any Voyage song is wrong. CHARTS!! HUH!! HUM-BUG!!

Last edited by Pete Denis on Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:25 pm 

They listed----"SOVENIERS" by Voyage as #1

Post subject: WELL
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:45 pm 

If that is the case, then, I can accept their position. I won't agree with them. I think SOUVENIRS was at best a top 50 song, but # 1??? I guess wherever he was at, they loved it. Big Question, where and what club is he talking about. Or does this person call it an accumulation of his many years in DISCO? I think that is a terrible choice. It shows personal tastes, and not very accurate. Here, this list is more accurate!! Top Ten Songs Of All TIME!!-

1) My Male Curiosity- Kid Creole
2) Cher Chez La Femme- Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
3) I'll Play The Fool For You- Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
4) Deputy Of Love- Don Armando's Second Avenue Rumba Band
5) There But For The Grace Of God Go I- Kid Creole & The Coconuts
6) There But For The Grace Of God Go I- Machine
7) You make me feel like dancing- Leo Sayer
8) Theme From Star Wars- MECO
9) Pagliacci- Maynard Ferguson
10)The Blue Danbue Hustle- The Rice & Beans Orchestra!

You get my drift, putting together a "personal" list is mierda! Anyone can throw one together. I studied lists, they are full of personal favorites. Jay, take the Billboard Bible of charts you have, and ADD them up. Which song was on top the longest? What song SOLD the most records, that is an indication of how popular it was. Do a top 50 list, according to the Billboard Charts! Yeah, That's the ticket!! They were honest, and they showed NO personal favorites!! NEVER! Their charts were compiled from deejays around the States and throughout the world. We KNOW that they checked with the record sales, and kept track of how many people got up and danced, and how many sat down. They kept "stats" on things like that, right! That is, would be, the closest way to be accurate. And I will honestly tell you, you can ask others, I did keep stats!! I did it every year until 1985. Guess what, My number one song for 1984 was, MY MALE CURIOSITY!! Was it accurate? I kept the stats to prove it?? CHARTS!!!??? You can keep them all, they mean nothing, really! But I love reading them!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:24 pm 

The Billboard Dance/Disco charts are compiled every week from what the DJs are reporting, not sales. Thats how you know they are a bit off. In the old days many #1 songs were not even for sale. That didn't stop DJs from reporting that song #1.

Now saying that, here is the Billboard top dance songs (compiled by them) from '74-'03:

1. BAD LUCK - Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes
2. THRILLER/BILLY JEAN/BEAT IT - Michael Jackson
3. LOVER'S HOLIDAY/SEARCHIN/GLOW OF LOVE - Change
4. DANCE DANCE DANCE/EVERYBODY DANCE - Chic
5. I LOVE MUSIC - The O'Jays
6. SAN FRANCISCO/HOLLYWOOD/FIRE ISLAND - Village People
7. BRAZIL - Ritchie Family
8. LE FREAK/I WANT YOUR LOVE - Chic
9. CAN'T FAKE THE FEELING - Geraldine Hunt
10. YOU SHOULD BE DANCING - BeeGees

You notice, no Donna? she's got numbers: 12, 17, 29, 35, 50, 70, 84, and ,92

More on the charts on THE CHARTS thread!

Post subject: UPSET??
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:36 pm 

In an upset, the winner is.... HAROLD MELVIN & THE BLUE NOTES ??? BAD LUCK???

With Michael Jackson running second? I expected MJ, but Harold Melvin? Something is fishy? Doesn't sound right does it? According to Billboard Magazine, it is BAD LUCK as the biggest ALL-TIME song?? Not what anyone expected is it. I still need to be convinced!!

Post subject: BAD LUCK vs MJ
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:09 pm 

BAD LUCK WAS #1 on the chart for 11 weeks IN '75; MJ was also #1 for 11 weeks but in '83.

The tie breaker was that BAD LUCK was in the top 10 for 18 weeks and MJ was for 17 weeks.

Also BAD LUCK WAS in the top 20 for 24 weeks and MJ was in the top 20 for (only) 20 weeks.

The times were different. In the old days a song would linger on the charts longer than now. (much better music back then)

It was more impressive to stay #1 during '83 therefore MJ should be #1 of all time, but Billboard just crunches the numbers together.

We all know MJ sold 35 million copies of THRILLER and numerous more in singles. BAD LUCK didn't come close to 1 million.

The charts are there to jog our memory so we can reminisce abot the joy we had spinning.

Post subject: BOGUS
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:16 pm 

Anyway you look at it, the fact, and it is a fact, that BAD LUCK would end up at #1 is bogus! No way should it be called that. That is why I never relied on Billboard too much. But That is the final tally!!

Post subject: There is a difference
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:20 pm 

Just two points. One, there is a difference between these two threads, what spells disco to you, and what is the best Disco song of all time. Second, you really want to know why this site is on the rise, and so much better a Forum then any other on the internet? It is Pete Denis! He motivates us all, then is constantly giving us great threads. I know I sound like a kiss-ass, but speaking from facts, he makes this site hop! Everytime I check out this Forum, I end up making a post. The reason, he gives us something to talk about!

PETE'S NOTE:: NO ASS-KISSING! I JUST THINK LIKE YOU ALL DO, BECAUSE WE ARE IN LOVE WITH THE MUSIC, DISCO.. THAT IS WHY WE ARE HERE, NOT BECAUSE OF ME!

Post subject: The Trammps
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:47 pm 

DISCO INFERNO?? Two deejay friends of mine tell me it is!!

Board index » DISCO » Music