Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject: MOST POPULAR DISCO SONG EVER!!
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:57 pm 

Now this is a good topic. What is the most popular DISCO song ever? Think about it. ONE SONG!! That is what I am looking for. Popularity is a world-wide thing. In DISCOS, what song put everyone on the dance floor? What song was charted the longest? What song crossed over and was played on all the radio stations?When you are watching something on the Boob Tube and in the back ground there was a DISCO song. What song was it? In the movies, at a certain moment, maybe as they enter a "Disco", what song was playing? When they are in a car, what song is on the radio?When you see a commercial on television, what song was it? A local band in a bar or club covers a song, which song? At weddings, what song put everyone on the dance floor? At a party, what is the biggest song? WHAT SONG WAS PLAYED EVERYWHERE? TO THIS DAY? I am sure there are plenty, but which one is THE MOST POPULAR? There is no one answer. So give me what YOU think? If someone post one that you agree with, think some more, give me another. There were plenty. At Fashion shows they play OLD DISCO to this day. What songs? In todays music, old disco songs are sampled. Which one? All the greatest songs live on, what are they? You tell me!!

Post subject: MOST POPULAR DISCO SONG EVER!!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:32 am 

This is a very hard question. To take all the great songs, and narrow it down to one song!!?? That is an incredibly hard thing to do. Well, I will give it my best shot.There are a lot of possibilities. Plenty of Donna Summer songs come to mind. Plenty of VILLAGE PEOPLE songs too. Lots of songs that were real big for a long time. There were these two couples from Sweden that had a very,very big international hit,that still gets air play today. Then a group from England that lost some brothers, and a certain group from right here in Miami. They are all in the running. But when it comes down to it, I think that this might be the ONE!! It comes from The Queen of Disco herself. In all my mobile gigs, and there have been thousands through the years, this song was one I played in every performance. It is in my opinion, GLORIA GAYNOR'S "I WILL SURVIVE!!"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:56 am 
Site Admin

Great subject...

Funny to see that DJ Ed and me has kind of the exact same view on this... I was also thinking Donna, Bee Gees, ABBA, Village People and so on...
But I think Gloria's "I Will Survive" is THE anthem of Disco to people all over the world.
Just saw her perform some months ago and the roar when it started and the way everyone was singing along - still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. Wow - has that lady got a voice or what?!
So, again, I'll also go for "I Will Survive"...

//Discoguy

Post subject: I won't tell mine yet !!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:10 am 

SURE, everyone thinks that way, but ABBA was so strong!! I won't tell you mine until a few more posts. But you are in the ball park!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:53 pm 

I really don't consider this a real disco song but it was and still is very popular.

Sister-Sledge - "WE ARE FAMILY" 1979
Here's a little history :

Unedited version from the album We Are Family, 1/24/79; edit issued as Cotillion single #44251, 4/17/1979). This great song was Top Pop Charts # 2 and op R&B Charts #1 ! ! We are Family was written by Rodgers & Edwards after they had met the Sledges for the first time. On CD The Best of Sister Sledge (1973-1985) (Rhino Records Inc., 1992).

Four sisters recorded as highly successful disco divas in late 70's. Released minor singles from 1971 to 1977. Nile Rodgers & Bernard Edwards of Chic then began to write for and produce the sisters. 1979 was golden year for the disco girls - three amazing disco singles "He's the greatest dancer", "We are family" and "Lost in music" all hit it big on Atlantic/Cotillion. Group then waned in US but continued to chart heavily in UK, before long with a number 1 in 1985 ("Frankie").

Post subject: WHAT!!!!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:16 pm 

NO,NO, NO!!!! It wasn't even the best song on the album. It was extremely popular for one or two years, but best of all time. Give me some of what you been smoking!! The city of Pittsburgh may feel that way. Remember that The baseball Team,THE PIRATES used that song as their theme song the year they won the World Series, but the rest of the world?? BEST of ALL TIME???? I WANT WHATEVER YOU SMOKED!!!

Post subject: WE ARE FAMILY
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:31 pm 

You must understand, that Ray was my Best man at my Wedding, and I his Best man at his Wedding. We are friends, So I find it incredibly funny and he caught me off guard with this selection. I understand that WE ARE FAMILY was incredibly popular in its day, so on second though, I can "Understand" his opinion, but he knows that I think he was smoking some good stuff, and I WANT SOME!! Then I will agree with him! Way to go Ray, this is what this all about. A difference that stunning is cool.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:45 pm 

Pete, you were so predictable. I knew you were going to jump all over me for this entry. But nevertheless, this tune is played all over the world at many different events and venues in "today's" world. This tune has survived, so I guess this songs favorite song will be "I will Survive" LOL!

I almost didn't post that song but i knew it would get my buddy Pete riled up!

Post subject: WRONG!!!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:59 pm 

NOT ME!! Okay, I will give you my opinion, This was the NUMBER ONE SONG in every country around the world for over two months. It continues to be played today. It revolutionized the music scene, and can be heard in TV shows, movies, children's parties,and radio. It set the tone for DISCO forever. It comes from SWEDEN, so Claes will be very proud of ABBA. In my opinion it is, "Dancing Queen"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:26 pm 

I don't know why after I read 3 lines of your post one song came to my head it's RING MY BELL I like this song at that time and I think all of us nobody can deny that this song is one of the bid DISCO hits all over the world , we still play it , we still enjoy it , we still even like to see it on the TV , there are still many many more good disco songs , play RING MY BELL now in any dance club and you will have instant many happy dancers in front of you.

Post subject: Most Popular Disco Song.
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:35 pm 

Most popular means most liked, bought, still played, crossed over ALL markets, etc.
Saying that my vote goes to "Stayin' Alive" by The BeeGees. This song crossed over to ALL markets, white, italian "mobster" types, latino & black--girls & guys & in-between; It is still being played on commercial disco radio outlets; It sold over platinum status; spawned other platinum hits on the album; It was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for 8 weeks; A rap song by Wyclef Jean sampled it; It was a gateway to a whole new era in music. That is most popular. More popular than "I will Survive", "We Are Family"(he he), and others.
Now my favorite is altogether different: Personal favorite is a 3 way tie:
1-"DiscoParty"-The Trammps-lp mix
1a-"Ten Percent"-Double Exposure-Walter Gibbons 12"
1b-"My Love Is Free"-Double Exposure-Tom Moulton Mix

Post subject: STAYIN ALIVE!!!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:46 pm 

I expected a BeeGees entry, but not from the Soul-lovin JJ. Jay Negron is a great deejay who has over-come a lot in life. He knows his s**t. AND as I write this I am listening to one of his mixed CDs.--- Now as for STAYIN ALIVE being the BEST??? I understand it being in the conversation. It belongs there, as does all the entries so far. Even WE ARE FAMILY. I think that outside the US, it wasn't as popular. But we will see the results!! Welcome to the CLUB JJ!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Guys !

LOTS of great tracks listed here... and I'm sure there are many more to come...
MAN mentions "Ring My Bell", another great track by a lovely singer. I actually just catched up with Anita Ward the other day and f.y.i. it seems she's still very popular in France. She was just back from a 15 shows tour in France and will go back there for a 12 shows tour later this year...
Regarding "Stayin' Alive" - don't you just love the little extra sounds in the extended break of the 12" Saturday Night Fever promo only remix? If you haven't heard it Click HERE.
And Pete - your suggestion of ABBA's "Dancing Queen" sure makes me smile with all my heart. LOVE THEM !!!

Keep it coming ya all !

//Discoguy

Post subject: Most Popular?
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:28 am 

The most popular song in the DISCO ERA? I think it was a BeeGee song too, but I think it was "You Should Be Dancing". There are a few of Donna Summer's early songs that should be considered, "Love To Love You baby"and "Try Me(I Know We Can Make It)". And all the ones mentioned above. I am surprised by Pete's pick. ABBA?? I figured he would say "Disco Inferno" or "Open Sesame".

Post subject: most popular Disco theme
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:14 pm 

My opinion:
The most popular Disco theme from disco-days up to present time is not simply question. But anyway I have selected KC & The Sunshine Band - That's The Way I Like It, Patti LaBelle - Lady Marmalade and Village People - YMCA. It is further to aforesaid. :D

Board index » DISCO » Music