Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: 1st Disco Song?
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:21 pm 

SHAFT---R&B/Pop? We used to have to play that song 2x a night! People would scream when Shaft came on---what are you kidding me?
As far as Gloria Gaynor is concerned her first Disco Hit was "Honey Bee", and that came out in late '73 on Columbia Records (45-no album). It was produced by Norman Harris, who at the time was a charter member of MFSB. You can clearly hear Vince Montana on vibes and Earl "Trammps" Young on drums. We played that shit to death. There were WAY MORE Disco hits that came out before her "Never Can Say Goodbye" came out.

Post subject: SHAFT!!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:01 pm 

JJ,
SHAFT was R&B, was pop. Remember in HS, it was on WABC- am radio!! THAT IS POP!! On the MORENO stations too. WAS IT DISCO? Some people say it was. I do agree with HONEY BEE, but NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE was the big hit, the Best selling DISCO record of its time. So I understand why it gets mentioned. Personally, I played the whole LP!!!

Post subject: Disco Hits
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:14 pm 

"Honey Bee" & "Never Can Say..." were equally as big in all the "hitter" BBQ discos in the Bronx, New Rochelle, Yonkers, Queens, in other words all the wannabe mob joints! When Tom Moulton remixed "Honey Bee" for the album (and used the Columbia/Philly version instead of the MGM/NY version)it took on a whole new life again.

Post subject: First Top Hits
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:30 pm 

When I say bigger hit, I mean in the discos judging by audience response. Not by sales. I got more requests to play "Honey Bee" than I ever got for "Never Can Say..."

Any way the original question was WHICH WAS THE FIRST? Right? The first promo 12" was either "NICE & SLOW" by Jesse Green or "FREE MAN" by South Shore Commision; depending on how your connections were.

Post subject: The First????
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:19 pm 

It is a hard question---to separate what is a disco record and what is not. To me it is a dance record that people in the discos can dance to. In 1973, patrons at the club were already dancing "The Latin Hustle" to songs like "The Love I Lost"-H.Melvin & The Bluenotes, "Always Love My Mama"-The Intruders, "I Can Understand It"-New Birth, "K-Jee"-The Nightlighters. Now these songs crossed over to pop radio---but they were club smashes first. When the record labels realized this, that's when you seen records like "The Hustle"-VanMcCoy, "Spanish Hustle"-Fatback Band and "Salsoul Hustle" by Salsoul Orch. be released. When "Rock The Boat"-Hues Corp & "Rock Your Baby"-George McCrae made #1 'back-to-back' on Billboard's Hot 100 I KNEW WE WAS ON!!!!

Post subject: JJ Check ou this
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:52 pm 

JAY, go to one of the pages at the menu, called THE FIRST DISCO SONG, and read what Claes and I have to say about THE FIRST DISCO SONG, it is a list compiled from over a 1000 different deejays and freaks. I took a top twenty from each one, then added up the results, and "surprising" is not a big enough adjective to describe the results. Now understand this, since then VALITRUS posted his opinion. What he said made a lot of sense, so my opinion has changed. PURE DISCO songs, would eliminate a lot of them since R&B and Soul was a heavy influence on most early Disco tracks. But check it out, you will be interested in the results, then tell me your opinion.-- PETE

Post subject: Disco List pre-'75
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:22 pm 

Now you got me started. My opinion isn't very good. This list is bogus. It couldn't have been voted on by 1200 people that were involved in disco. Claus even acknowledged that in an email to me. PILLOW TALK??? FRANKENSTEIN???? Who were U asking???

ALSO: Why are cuts bunched up as if they came out at the same time? CISCO KID had nothing to do with SPILL THE WINE. Different years, different albums, even different labels. ARMED & EXTREMELY DANGEROUS put on the same chart position as NEWSY NEIGHBORS?????? What are YOU smokin?? ARMED & EXTREMELY was a hit right along SMARTY PANTS. Three years later, count em 3, THE PLAYER was First Choice's hit along with NEWSY NEIGHBORS. Same with THE LOVE I LOST & BAD LUCK---different era my friend.

That's why I think it is bogus. 1200 people being polled would have all not made the same mistakes. Where are the other Trammps songs pre-'75???? If ZING was #1 wouldn't you think that at least 1 other song would have made the top 25?????

Where did U find this list? I will make a top 100 pre-'75 list way more accurate than that!!!

Post subject: Ease Up on Me
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:47 pm 

Que RUDO!!! My goodness, I actually love it. So you hate my list. You are pissed off because I didn't know you then, and you were not included. Sorry, but go for it now. But not 100, top 25!! As for BOGUS? No, remember it wasn't New Yorkers only, people from Dallas, Omaha, Des Moines, St Paul, Denver, Albuquerque and "blanco" cities. So trust me, you may not agree, I certainly don't! But people responded, that is the result. It makes for great arguments don't it!! Come on, bring it Jr.!!!!

Post subject: Where?
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:10 pm 

Dallas, Omaha, Des Moines, St Paul, Denver, Albuquerque??????????

There were clubs there pre-'75??????

Post subject: There Were Deejays!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:31 pm 

Of Course, there had to be, but no-where near NYC or big city music. there was a record pool in St Louis in 1973! Denver had a Pool in June of 74. Not many deejays, but they existed. Those people all didn't just dance to Country
music!!

Post subject: Record Pools
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:38 pm 

ALL THIS IS NEW TO ME. When David Mancuso opened the 99 Prince Street DJ Record Pool in 1975 it was widely regarded as the first of it's kind in the country. I remember David Todd of RCA records at the Grand Opening speaking of the pioneering innovative idea it was. It was hailed BY ALL THE RECORD COMPANIES in Billboard Magazine as the first of it's kind. And I remember at The Disco Convention '76 it served as a model for all other Pools that opened after that. WOW maybe a lived a SHELTER'ed life in NYC.

Post subject: POCONO RECORD POOL
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:45 pm 

In December of 73, the Pocono Record pool existed, not very good, they had no Motown, no Warner Brothers and no Atlantic. But they were around, sending by mail to deejays everywhere! NYC was not the only place, DISCO was a national phenomena. NYC was just the BEST! In Hackensack, NJ, The record Shack was like a pool since 72. You just paid "per-record".-- PETE

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:03 pm 

Calm down guys! Everyone have a right somewhat.
I'm sure that this dispute are senseless. Because of too many records were released in 1973. And what is the Disco genre is a ground for big debates. It is really hard to define limitations where's the pure Disco, what the differences and who have the right to announce meaning.
:D
So this is a theme for new topic "Disco as music genre, disambiguation". :idea:
And I'll not wondered if someone will be able to prove that today's House music is Disco too. Because of it is a disc recorded, spun in clubs, and people are dancing.

Post subject: Don't Worry!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:10 pm 

Val, thank you for your great attitude, but don't worry, Jay and I are friends. And discussion over records is cool. He means no harm, and I actually encourage differing opinions. You are so right! Many songs, everywhere, and different deejays remember things differently. I did so many Drugs then, I am lucky I remember any song!! All is so cool. I love it!!-PETE

Post subject: Disco Hits
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:22 pm 

I love The Philly Sound----I love the original MFSB---I truly think that the music has evolved from that till today. From 50cts sampling The Trammps "Rubber Band" to Madonna singing "Music" over the music from "Disco Inferno" to Coldplay's new "Viva La Vida". If it has a beat, and it's exciting, I would play it!!! BOTTOM LINE.

I'm still gonna make my top 100 for '70-'75 and I will have it on Tuesday. (let me know if U are interested.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » DISCO » Music