Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject: Larry Levan remix of Gwen Guthrie
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Hi there,

I just got me a copy of the US 12" promo release of Gwen Guthrie's "Ain't nothin' goin' on but the rent".
It's released on the Polydor 885 106-1 12" single...
The thing is that the cover claims that Larry Levan did the 2 remixes on the A-side of the record, while Mark S. Berry did the 2 remixes on the B-side plus that there's supposed to be a third track on the B-side, "Passion eyes", which is not on the 12" at all.
Anyhow - on the labels on the actual vinyl the A-side mixes are credited to Mark S. Berry and the B-side mixes are credited to Larry Levan... BUT - when listening to the mixes I would guess it's the other way around, i.e. Larry really did the A-side mixes and Mark the B-side and that the labels are wrong (even if they match the inscriptions in the run-out groove).
Because I think the A-side tracks has got a more "Levan" kind of touch to them - BUT - on the other hand the Club mix on the B-side of the US 12" is the one released on the UK 12" release as a Larry Levan mix.
But again - my feelings are that the A-side mixes (credited to Mark in the label on the vinyl) are the Larry remixes - while the B-side mixes are Mark's.
Don't think Larry would ever be OK with being on the B-side, specially as he more of less "created" Gwen's success! Or what do you think ?? Anyone knows ??

Listen to the 2 versions here:
<A HREF="http://www.disco-disco.com/xxx/aintnothin-aside.ra">A Side mix (Larry Levan ???)</A>
<A HREF="http://www.disco-disco.com/xxx/aintnothin-bside.ra">B Side mix (or is this Larry ???)</A>

Disco-on !

Discoguy

Post subject: Re: Larry Levan remix of Gwen Guthrie
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:28 am 

hi

the Levan Mix starts with the lyrics 'bill collectors at my door' not with 'hey, ain't nothing going on but the rent'. So your B-side is identical to the Levan Mix.
Why Levan's mix didn't made as A-side I don't know. Maybe his authority was not yet known that well with the record excecutives of Polydor at the time (1986) or they simply thought that Mark S Berry's version was commercially more attractive.

What a great song 'ain't nothing going on but the rent' still is!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

THANKS eedeecee for your update !
Then the Polydor people was right (at least on the labels on the vinyl) and only messed things up on the cover.

Yep - it's still a great song !!!

Disco-on !

Discoguy

Post subject: Re: Larry Levan remix of Gwen Guthrie
 Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:32 am 

eedeecee wrote:
hi

the Levan Mix starts with the lyrics 'bill collectors at my door' not with 'hey, ain't nothing going on but the rent'. So your B-side is identical to the Levan Mix.
Why Levan's mix didn't made as A-side I don't know. Maybe his authority was not yet known that well with the record excecutives of Polydor at the time (1986) or they simply thought that Mark S Berry's version was commercially more attractive.

What a great song 'ain't nothing going on but the rent' still is!!

You are quite right. Indeed the Levan mix starts with the "bill collectors" line. :wink:
Mark S Berry was pretty much a kingpin producer at the time riding high with a stack of remixes for various companies...mostly Polydor & EMI. :)

Post subject: Larry Levan Remix
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:52 pm 

That also was the case with Sylvester's "Someone Like You" 12" (WarnerBros-'87) Levan's mix was relegated to the 'B'side. Like Gwen Guthrie's 12" the 'A' side is more commercial radio friendly. (in their eyes at least)

Board index » DISCO » Music