Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject: The Billboard Charts!!
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:32 pm 

Along with my buddy Jay(Jr.) Negron, every week, for our review and enjoyment, we will list an old BILLBOARD DISCO Chart from the actual Magazine. Right from those pages to our Forum. We will examine each chart and talk about which songs were deserving of being there, and which were there for other reasons. This all starts tomorrow. So look for it.

Post subject: 10/26/74
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:02 pm 

October 26, 1974---All are 45's except for "Gut Level"

1. NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE-Gloria Gaynor (MGM)

2. ASK ME-Ecstasy Passion & Pain (Roulette)

3. GET DANCIN'-Disco Tex & The Sex-O-lettes (Chelsea)

4. YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING-Barry White (20th Cen)

5. I CAN'T FIGHT YOUR LOVE-The Modulations (Buddah)

6. TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT-Jimmy Ruffin (Chess)

7. YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER-The Tymes (RCA)

8. DO IT TILL YOU'RE SATISFIED-B.T.Express (Scepter)

9. GUT LEVEL-The Blackbyrds (Fantasy-LP cut)

10. EVERLASTING LOVE-Carl Carlton (Back Beat/ABC)

Post subject: Lets' Talk about this....
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:18 pm 

GLORIA GAYNOR deserves to be there, for sure. It was huge!
EPP also a huge hit. NOW we come to GET DANCIN! Today we forgotten or simply don't know. DISCO TEX & HIS SEXOLETTES was incredibly big. It sort of Crossed over. It was on the radio, he was on The Tonight Show, Mike Douglass, Merv Griffin, Joan Rivers. If it had singers, Monti Rock III would be there. GET DANCIN was a PHENOMENAL song. I for one played it as often as I could! OHHH and it was such a big GAY song. Might have been the first Gay Anthem!!-- BARRY!!! Need I say more?
-- THE MODULATIONS??? I gotta question this one being here. It was a Hit, but not that big. Not every one played this. Same can be said about JIMMY RUFFIN, but TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT was a bigger hit. THE TYMES!!! "YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER!! Very under-rated, was a great dance song. It got people dancing. It was also on WBLS.--- BT EXPRESS and CARL CARLTON were huge. Every right to be there. GUT LEVEL?? THE BLACKBYRDS?? I question it being in the Top Ten. This was fun. Should have had the knowledge and wisdom back in 74!! This would have meant something!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:11 pm 

The Modulations record was big! I played it at least 8 months. Produced & arranged by Vince Montana featuring all The Salsoul Orch before they became The Salsoul Orch!!!

Jimmy Ruffin's hit was really big in the clubs but Chess Records stopped making them (a 'cutout') so after the initial exposure of club play, you could not buy the song. It was hard to get after 6 months. This made us play it even more! Soon Frankie Crocker was spinning it on WBLS and Chess still refused to re-release it. What a shame. It was produced by Richie Rome, soon to be famous for The Ritchie Family.

(Both of those tunes are on my 70's Flashback Mix Vol.1)

I get the feeling that "Gut Level" was a personal Tom Moulton favorite (he wrote the 'Disco Action' column and he compiled the chart) and that he stuck it on the chart as a favor to somebody. (That happened alot) The song was on the chart only 2 weeks, I didn't know anybody who played it or reported it. The Blackbyrds just had a huge disco hit over the summer that crossed over to Top 40---->"Walkin' In Rhythm". Now THAT song was big with all the Latin Hustle dancers.

I'm not sayin' "Gut Level" was a bad song. Just NOT #9 in ANYBODY's chart. Not with all the other good songs that were out.

Not complainin---not explainin'---I'm just sayin!!!!!

Last edited by Jay Negron on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: We agree on one
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:18 pm 

Okay Jay,
We agree on one, one song that was a "Put On". Put on the charts for other reasons than it deserved to be there. I am confused? You telling me that TOM MOULTON was the one behind this chart? I thought it was supposed to be all the BILLBOARD Reporters? Or do you mean, that TOM did the calculating?

Post subject: Calculations
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:29 pm 

Tom Moulton did the calculating, and he wrote the weekly column. You could see that after time he was promoting more & more of his projects than reporting on the WHOLE scene. The best writer was Brian Chin. He was not influenced by outside or personal sources. When he said a song was a smoker IT WAS!!! No BS.

Barry Lederer [RIP] gives more insight to the process of DJs reporting songs to BillBoard at that time in his interview right here at Disco-Disco.com.

Post subject: The Charts
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:37 am 

These charts are so cool. They bring me back in time. So many great songs. But a few that I never played. If I didn't play them, how good were they??

Post subject: Here is another
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:25 am 

DISCO FILE----MAY 10, 1975

1. BAD LUCK - Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes (lp cut)

2. EASE ON DOWN THE ROAD - Consumer Rapport (7"remix promo)

3. THE HUSTLE - Van McCoy

4. HIJACK - Barrabas (lp cut)

5. SWEARIN' TO GOD - Frankie Valli (lp cut)

6. WHERE IS THE LOVE - Betty Wright

7. I WANNA DANCE WIT CHOO - Disco Tex & The Sex-O-lettes

8. HELPLESSLY - Moment Of Truth

9. EL BIMBO - Bimbo Jet

10. STOP & THINK - The Trammps (lp cut)

11. HIJACK - Herbie Mann

12. GET DOWN TONIGHT - KC & The Sunshine Band

13. FREE MAN - South Shore Commission (promo 12")

14. TAKE IT FROM ME - Dionne Warwicke

15. E-MAN BOOGIE - Jimmy Castor Bunch (lp cut)

16. AND YOU CALL THAT LOVE -Vernon Burch (lp cut)

17. ARE YOU READY FOR THIS - The Brothers

18. SUN GODDESS - Ramsey Lewis (lp cut)

19. LOVE IS EVERYWHERE - City Limits

20. DISCO STOMP - Bohannon (lp cut)

All are 45s except where noted.

Chart is from Joel Whitburn's book "BILLBOARD HOT DANCE/DISCO 1974-2003"

Last edited by Jay Negron on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Plenty here!!
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:46 am 

JJ,
This list gives us a lot to talk about doesn't it? We can start right at the Top. We talked about BAD LUCK(according to these charts) being the number #1 song of the Disco era. So seeing it at the very top is probably well deserved. Then I see a progression of songs, that frankly, I did not play too much! EASE ON DOWN THE ROAD, TAKE IT FROM ME, E-MAN BOOGIE, AND YOU CALL THAT LOVE, ARE YOU READY FOR THIS, SUN GODDESS, LOVE IS EVERYWHERE and DISCO STOMP were not "Chart" material in my clubs. Some I played more then others, but I never"reported" any of those titles. And DISCO TEX? I played that because I was a fan and a friend of Monti Rock III. Did not "report" that either! And the two HIJACK records I played nightly, but never in the PRIMETIME, so they were never "reported"! BUT, there are some really great songs on this chart that I did "report". Frankie Valli, Van McCoy, Moment of Truth, Bimbo Jet and KC & The Sunshine Band were all big time PRIMETIME players. They went down as CLASSICS, as did BAD LUCK!!

Post subject: EXCELLENT!!
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:51 am 

Fantastic charts! E-MAN BOOGIE? I played BERTHA BUTT, is that E-MAN Boogie? Ease on down the road? Was that Disco? I thought it was AM pop. I did not play either HIJACK. And really burned out EL BIMBO! Keep em' coming!

Post subject: 1975
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:16 am 

Lesse, I played all these songs heavy, except: SUN GODDESS & Disco Tex.; I played his first one heavy the year before but the 2nd was a no-play for me.

I played "Footstompin' Music" WAY MORE than "Disco Stomp" on Bohannon's lp. (steady rotation)

I didn't like The Brothers--I played it early (before midnight) before the club would heat up. By this time in '75 the same for Van McCoy's HUSTLE. (I played his "Love Is The Answer" WAY more!)

Bimbo Jet was a strictly "for the crowd" song as I really got sick of it quick.

"EASE ON DOWN THE ROAD" on the 7" remix was HOT!!!
"LOVE IS EVERYWHERE" City Limits is one of my all-time top 100 tracks---played it to death.
"AND YOU CALL THAT LOVE" Vernon Burch did not work too well in The Bronx (too rock-ish, too hard to 'hustle' to)--my track from that LP was "FRAME OF MIND" which had charted months earlier.
The same thing with Jimmy Castor, although I've heard that "E-MAN BOOGIE" was reported from many cities outside of NYC.

"TAKE IT FROM ME" & "STOP & THINK" I used to play back-to-back many nights.

KC--BAD LUCK--SWEARIN'--BETTY WRIGHT--MOMENT OF TRUTH--FREE MAN--and THE HUSTLE all Hall Of Fame songs!!!!

Post subject: Some Great music there
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:24 am 

See, there were a few that you never really played either. So how accurate was this chart? I KNOW that the DISCO TEX track was a favor for the extremely popular(and Gay) Monti Rock III. It should never have been on this chart. Tell me, GET DANCIN' or even JUMBO SALSA, then I would agree that it belongs there, but not I WANT TO DANCE WITH CHOO, which was not a true contender. Bogus!! I am seeing a pattern!!

Post subject: Probably True
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:43 am 

Papi, I don't think it was really bogus. By 1975 Vince Aletti was compiling the Chart from 'reporting' DJs from all over the country; Yes the majority was from the NYC metro area but he was an up & up guy; and the charts were pretty consistant by then.

Also at the time there was a lot of "rookie/wannabe" DJs just breaking in and really would play anything at anytime. There was a DJ at the competing club in the Bronx---His DJ name was 'Funky Bear' (Lenny Carroll)---he would play "Dance Wit Choo" & "Get Dancin" back-to-back at the height of the night for weeks! And this was a straight 90% Guido crowd he was playing for (at the 'Stereo Lounge'). He was clueless and he played over a year at one of the bigger clubs in the Bronx. He had connections.

I was spinning at 'ACT III" 5 nights a week until the owner wanted to give his nephew one of the nights. I graciously gave up Thursday night (I needed the break)---but I warned the boss that it would not be good for business. The guy lasted only 2 weeks (less than clueless)----but he had a connection and got to play in the biggest (at the time) club in the Bronx!

In the beginning there were lots of people 'posing' as DJs but WE KNEW WHO WAS FAKING THE FUNK!

Post subject: I totally disagree
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:01 am 

You make my point for me. Deejay wannabes were everywhere. And outside of New York, it was worse! Deejays popped up all the time claiming to be from New York Clubs, in fact, they had no business being behind the turntables. So if it was these clowns who were doing the reporting?? Of course it was BOGUS. Parts of the charts were true, and parts were not!

I think they were bought then, and so far, these charts are proving my beliefs true. Favoritism was rampant, and when I ran the Florida Record Pool, I saw how the "reporting" was done. Most times, the "reporting" was done by BO CRANE(He owned the pool) who was a promoter as well, funny how his "projects" got reported even though few deejays played them. I received all the paperwork! Billboard Reporters were "Too Busy" to do it, and BO "took care of it" for them. If it happened here, I am sure it happened everywhere, it was the nature of the beast! And the deejays who filled out those weekly charts that I turned in? Those guys just put down titles, at the last minute, looking at what others reported and copying their charts. NO WAY WAS IT ACCURATE!! NO FU***** WAY!! BOGUS!! EXTREMELY BOGUS!!

Post subject: GET DOWN TONIGHT!!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:28 am 

Is this the first appearance of KC And The Sunshine Band? It might be? Can anyone tell me? I am a fan and a friend of his.

Board index » DISCO » Music