Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post subject: HI-NRG
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:26 pm 

Any fans here? Genre or sub-genre that Moroder invented with "I feel love", years before genre actually got its name and recognition as such. That only shows how much Moroder was ahead of its time, something like Kraftwerk or Tesla... 8)

Anyway, I would describe it as vibrating and pulsating synth disco, maybe even call it "electronic disco". The most prominent hits with HI-NRG sound (although I've never heard that people relate to those songs as HI-NRG) are "I feel love" - Donna Summer (1977) and "Blue Monday" - New Order (1982).

Once you hear that vibrating synth sound with heavy bass drum you'll always recognize tracks which used to be called HI-NRG in the early/mid 80's. The short-lived style soon begin to fade away, or - we could say that it transformed itself into something much more known today - house music.

Beside work done by Moroder, my favourite HI-NRG artist is legendary DIVINE, produced by BOBBY "O".
Anyone familiar with Divine, any die-hard fans here, anyone seen him live in the 80's? Please share your thoughts or be free to ask...

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post subject: Re: HI-NRG
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:07 pm 

I was not a fan of HiNRG.
It got boring to me pretty quickly.
I dug Moroder but then in the early 80s the music started to sound too much alike for my taste. To each his own, I guess.

I think House Music did not come from HiNRG, but from the soul of TSOP!!!
There is a direct corrolation between MFSB's "Love Is The Message" to First Choice's "Put Asunder" to Marshall Jefferson's "House Music" to Ten City's "Whatever Makes You Happy"
House Music had the soul & rhythm of TSOP without the winey lyrics & vocals of freestyle or HiNRG.

I'm not an expert, but when "So Many Men" or Lime came on my interest wanned.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:31 pm 

Oh, I'm no expert on HI-NRG either, just expert for Divine and Moroder. But HI-NRG souds fascinating to me, I want to know it much better. Now I'm exploring Bobby "O" opus, his "Reputation", "Suspicious minds", "Whisper to a scream"... sound great to me.

I'm also no authority on the house music. But I have my view on the development of sound. SIMPLIFIED: from soul derived funk, from funk derived disco, from disco derived house and synth pop, even foundations for rap. HI-NRG is - as I see it - partly a phase in the transformation of disco to house and synth pop.

As I said, that's simplified view - how I see things. If you see some major flaws in my logic, feel free to jump in with your thoughts...

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:39 pm 

With all due respect Disco 54...
I was never of the opinion that Hi-Energy evolved into House Music..
From the early House years of 85-89, it was saturated with soul and funk vibes from everything from Motown, Staxx to Philly...
I Djayed and danced my way through all of the 80's..These were the peak years for me, the story of my life...I never associated Hi-Energy with House music in those years and I don't now..
I have no intention of disrespecting your point of view as all views are welcome but we are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one my brother!

Peace!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:53 am 

There is a fine line between "Euro-Disco" & "Hi-NRG".
Tracks by Divine, Bobby O,The Flirts & so on sit right on that fine line.
I believe that Moroders sparked both euro-disco & Hi-NRG.
Tracks that clearly fall into the HI-NRG category are tracks like Miquel Brown - "So Many men, So Little Time", Hazel Dean - "Searching" & just about any other track produced by Fiachara Trench & Ian Levine.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:53 am 
Site Admin

I was both into some Hi-NRG/Euro-Disco, as well as House...
I always liked all Dance music.
Loved the work from Giorgio and Bobby O... without being a die-hard Hi-NRG fan !

// Discoguy

Board index » DISCO » Music