Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » CLUBS » Other US Clubs

Post subject: Clubs In Movies
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:22 pm 

Just watched "Carlito's Way" again, since it was on tele. One of the main locations, of course, is Brigante's club "El Paradiso". Just a quick question: is it a set or a real existing spot?

Another general question: all the clubs that are mentioned in this great thread here: do you know of movies that feature the real, let's say 54, Copacabana, Paradise Garage and many others? I'm talking about the real clubs not studio sets based on the real ones!

Thx

Post subject: Re: Clubs In Movies
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:19 pm 

The Copacabana was used in the movie "Goodfellas". That was the real place. And of course, "2001" in Saturday Night Fever". There are a couple of more, I will try to think of htem.
Pooch

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:42 pm 

Some films from my collection prominently use clubs in their scenes, but I'm not sure what is the set and what is the real thing. And I too would like to know that.
"Thank God it's Friday", "Can't Stop the Music", "Roller Boogie", "Beat Street", "The Last Days of Disco", "Summer of Sam" (the real 2001 Odyssey??)...

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:18 pm 

Disco54 wrote:
Some films from my collection prominently use clubs in their scenes, but I'm not sure what is the set and what is the real thing. And I too would like to know that.
"Thank God it's Friday", "Can't Stop the Music", "Roller Boogie", "Beat Street", "The Last Days of Disco", "Summer of Sam" (the real 2001 Odyssey??)...

Thank God It's Friday...

The real nightclub used for the film was Osko's at 333 S. La Cienega Blvd, just south of 3rd Street in Los Angeles. The club had 4 dance floors and 'the Cave', an ice cavern-themed room as seen in the film. The ice cavern-themed room also appears in the horror film Jennifer. Club owner Osko Karaghassian had a role as a bouncer in the film. In the 1980s, the club became known as The Cathouse, owned by rock singer and MTV VJ Rikki Rachtman and Faster Pussycat singer Taime Downe and famous for booking many prominent heavy metal acts of the 1980s. The club was completely demolished by the early 1990s and was replaced by a large Loehmann's dress store.

"Beat Street"

Many of the internal dance sequences were filmed at the popular nightclub the Roxy, located in the Chelsea section of Manhattan.

Roxy NYC (sometimes The Roxy) was a popular nightclub located at 515 West 18th Street in New York City. Located in Chelsea section of Manhattan it began as a roller skating rink and roller disco in the late 1970s, it was founded by Steve Bauman, Richard Newhouse and Steve Greenberg then acquired in 1985 by Gene DiNino until it closed its' doors for good in March 2007. It even hosted a party for the famed Olympic gold medal-winning USA Ice Hockey team in 1980.

Beginning in the early 1980s, the owners began hosting dance nights. Referred to by many as the “Studio 54 of roller rinks,” it thrived as such for several years. Then, as the popularity of skating began to fade, Pat Fuji revamped the space into a dance club in 1982. Ruza Blue, a British expatriate nicknamed "Kool Lady Blue", founded an all-ages, all-races hip hop club in June 1982. Jon Baker, the future founder of Gee Street Records, worked the door. Hip hop pioneers Afrika Bambaataa and Afrika Islam began DJing there, and were soon joined by Grandmixer D.ST, Jazzy Jay, Grand Wizzard Theodore and Grandmaster Flash. The club sponsored MC battles, Zulu Nation gatherings, breakdancing competitions with the Rock Steady Crew, graffiti murals, and double Dutch competitions. The club had a major influence on the evolution of hip hop culture over the next few years. A Bambaattaa performance was captured in the 1984 film Beat Street.

The Roxy hosted one of New York City's largest weekly gay dance night, Roxy Saturdays, promoted by John Blair Productions, which has featured many famous DJs including Junior Vasquez, Manny Lehman, Hex Hector, Victor Calderone, Frankie Knuckles, Merritt, Offer Nissim and Peter Rauhofer. Artists such as Cher, Madonna, Beyoncé, Bette Midler, Chaka Khan, Yoko Ono and Gloria Gaynor have all performed at the Roxy.

Roxy had stopped for several weeks in the fall of 2006, but resumed operation once again on December 2, 2006. The club closed their doors for good on March 10, 2007. A documentary about the club's final party, entitled "Roxy: The Last Dance" premiered in August 2008 on the LOGO cable television network.

There were plans for the club to be demolished in order to make room for new residential apartments, however in July 2008 there were news that the Roxy would re-open under new management. The local community board that represents the interests of the residents near the club have stated that the club could re-open if it served the community in the long run.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:39 pm 

Disco54 wrote:

"Roller Boogie"

The film was shot in eight weeks through the Summer of 1979, mostly on the Venice boardwalks but also in Beverly Hills and, for the final competition sequence, at The Stardust Ballroom in Hollywood

"The Last Days Of Disco"

Shooting began on August 12, 1997, and ended on October 27, 1997. Filming took place in various New York City locations, and the structure used for the disco was an old movie theater in Jersey City, New Jersey, that was in the process of being renovated. The filmmakers had to share the location with another film production that took place there beforehand. The other production paid for the red carpeting used in the building, and the rest of the interior was designed and paid for by Stillman's crew.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:07 pm 

Wow, THANKS for the effort, man! As you said to me a few days ago - very informative and interesting!

You mentioned DJ Afrika Islam! I met him exactly 15 years, 6 days and 21 hours ago. He said something which meant to me the whole world in that moment. I'll forever remember him for being such a great guy.

Now, on topic, have you seen Spike Lee's masterpiece "Summer of Sam"? Two main characters are going to a club, and if I'm not mistaken - it's 2001 Odyssey. Is that the real 2001?

Once again, great info, I'll save your posts.

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:44 pm 

Disco54 wrote:
Wow, THANKS for the effort, man! As you said to me a few days ago - very informative and interesting!
Now, on topic, have you seen Spike Lee's masterpiece "Summer of Sam"? Two main characters are going to a club, and if I'm not mistaken - it's 2001 Odyssey. Is that the real 2001?

It's been a few years since I last saw "Summer Of Sam" so I could be mistaken on my facts but I don't recall 2001 Odyssey being in the movie..Could you be getting confused with the same club in "Saturday Night Fever" which was actually 2001 Odyssey, which was later renamed Spectrum (a Gay club) in 1987 before being demolished in 2005. The club was located at 802 64th Street, Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, New York

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:13 pm 

Soul-Boy wrote:
Could you be getting confused with the same club in "Saturday Night Fever" which was actually 2001 Odyssey

It's possible. I have SNF original DVD, but I still haven't bought "Summer of Sam" DVD (which I must have, since I'm huge Lee fan, and that's my favourite Lee movie).
There's a scene where they - dressed up for disco - go to a punk concert. After they realize that's not for them, they want to go to Studio 54. I think they managed to get in, but in some other scene they go to another club (which was empty because New York was in panic). I thought that's Odyssey, but now I'm not sure any more (so many films, I wouldn't be surprised if details are getting confused in my head).

In any case - that's brilliant movie which shows the life in the time and place which I'm most interested in - New York in the summer of '77, the summer of Sam, the summer of "Saturday Night Fever", the summer of disco explosion in America.

Board index » CLUBS » Other US Clubs