Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » CLUBS » Studio 54

Post subject: Studio 54 - memories or memorabilia
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for stopping by...

Please feel free to share your Studio 54 memories here in the forum.
Maybe you remember something special from the club or the owners and/or the 'Studio' crew. Or any comments on the people outside trying to get in or maybe something on the DJ's playing there...
Maybe you've got some old invitations, vip cards or similar you think other readers would be interested to see...
Share anything and everything about 'Studio' here !!

:D

//Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:49 am 
Site Admin

Hi all,

Make sure you haven't missed Miestorm's wonderful photo's from inside the Studio 54... A MUST SEE...

Just <A HREF="http://www.disco-disco.com/clubs/studio54-pics.shtml"><B>CLICK HERE</B></A> to see them... :D

Disco-on !

//Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:51 pm 

I dunno... but I really, really hated the whole Studio 54 scene when I went there during the summer of 1979. For a young guy wanting to dance and get laid it was a waste of time. Music? That was brilliant but it was even better in many other clubs in New York. Lights? Pretty amazing for sure but not enough to keep you hot for more than 30 mins. Dancing? With who? Forget it - there'a fat businessman next to you and a 50yrs old woman with one flabby tit hanging out. Sex? NOT with any of THOSE creeps, thank you! Would you have banged or accepted a blowjob from anyone that was clearly over 30 years old - yes, that's how old the majority of people were in there, even older, if you can believe it!:-) And you know how old people dance, they jerk and twist spasmodically and sweat a lot. And they dress badly. Most of the men wore a suit and a tie - how cool is that? Many of the women did parade around in flowing "evening elegance" but the effect was often ruined by the sight of their snot running down their faces - the drugs made them look really braindamaged as well. Models? yes, but did you ever try to talk to one, they don't all have the wit of Janice Dickinson. Anyone of your own age? Not really. There'as a couple of posh-looking debutantes at the bar. You ask one to the floor and she says oh yes. You start to get down but all she does is move her feet out of sync with the music and smile "sweetly" - ugh. Rich brats. So, the Studio was really for dressed up bores wanting some upscale Saturday Night Fever ( totally, absolutely, mortifyingly passé in 1979), for hysterical paparazzi scenes, middle aged celebs, drugs, and desperate posing. Indefinitely better: Paradise Garage, The Ice Palace, Flamingo, 12 West, Les Mouches and if you wanted to gawk at some real freaks and dance to hot and nasty music like Theo Vaness, The Barnum Room.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:11 pm 

Now that I am a fifty year old man that don't sound so bad to ol'Disco Stu. But I remember the seen at my local hangouts as slick, sheek, and sexy. Those were the daze.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:33 pm 

Jussi wrote:
I dunno... but I really, really hated the whole Studio 54 scene when I went there during the summer of 1979. For a young guy wanting to dance and get laid it was a waste of time. Music? That was brilliant but it was even better in many other clubs in New York. Lights? Pretty amazing for sure but not enough to keep you hot for more than 30 mins. Dancing? With who? Forget it - there'a fat businessman next to you and a 50yrs old woman with one flabby tit hanging out. Sex? NOT with any of THOSE creeps, thank you! Would you have banged or accepted a blowjob from anyone that was clearly over 30 years old - yes, that's how old the majority of people were in there, even older, if you can believe it!:-) And you know how old people dance, they jerk and twist spasmodically and sweat a lot. And they dress badly. Most of the men wore a suit and a tie - how cool is that? Many of the women did parade around in flowing "evening elegance" but the effect was often ruined by the sight of their snot running down their faces - the drugs made them look really braindamaged as well. Models? yes, but did you ever try to talk to one, they don't all have the wit of Janice Dickinson. Anyone of your own age? Not really. There'as a couple of posh-looking debutantes at the bar. You ask one to the floor and she says oh yes. You start to get down but all she does is move her feet out of sync with the music and smile "sweetly" - ugh. Rich brats. So, the Studio was really for dressed up bores wanting some upscale Saturday Night Fever ( totally, absolutely, mortifyingly passé in 1979), for hysterical paparazzi scenes, middle aged celebs, drugs, and desperate posing. Indefinitely better: Paradise Garage, The Ice Palace, Flamingo, 12 West, Les Mouches and if you wanted to gawk at some real freaks and dance to hot and nasty music like Theo Vaness, The Barnum Room.

Hi Jussi,

I can agree with many things you say. However,...regarding "difficult to get laid with someone below 30" I can not recognize. :wink: You must have picked the wrong night when you visited "the Studio". I was there on three ocations, one time in 1978 and twice in 1979,...and I promise you,...I got laid all three of them,..and,...with girls younger than 30. 8)

I was 22 at the time, and I had a blast each time at "the Studio". Ofcourse there was a lot of "fat businessmen with some sort of "personal assistants", but who cared about them? I was there with friends to have a great time.

As I recall, it was Richie Kaczor who Dj´d each time I was there. For me, he will always be THE Dj. And It sure is sad he "went away" to early.

RIP Richie.

Take care / lM

Post subject: Studio 54
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:45 am 

I

Last edited by Pete Denis on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Over-rated!!
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:14 am 

Over-rated. That simple!

Post subject: Studio 54 - 1979 New Year's Eve Invitation ORIGINAL!!!
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:38 pm 

Hi there,

I ran into your forum, and thought some of you might be interested in an item I listed on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0288886250

I'm assuming it's ok to list this here since it also covers memorabilia.

Ciao! :)

Gui

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:42 pm 

I'm not sure what ebay item you were trying to display but its gone. Was it this?

Disco Years by Anthony Haden-Guest, Michael Musto, and Ron Galella (Hardcover - Oct 2, 2006)

This is a cool oversized photo book with lots of high quality pix of Studio 54.

I was a long haired college student in Phoenix in 1981. I visited a friend in NYC who knew the owners somehow.

So I got in. Looking like something out of Waynes World. :lol: I never would have made it past the screeners (certainly not in the heyday), but I went in the back door. In 1981, it still was a hip place, I thought.

I am now one of the old men the earlier poster complained about. But back then, on that evening (actually 3 evenings) I got laid, and I turned down one offer to accept another. Sigh...the good old days.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:47 pm 

:x

Last edited by Pete Denis on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:40 pm 

One of my oldest brothers card,which I now own, the other is in much better shape.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:42 am 

Here are a couple of videos from the inside of Studio 54:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGzSa_SM ... re=related

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3740847926

Post subject: Re: Studio 54 - memories or memorabilia
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:30 pm 

I am gay and came out in Paris when I was 19 in May of 1974. I came to NYC in early 1977 and I was there for the Black Out of the same year. My favorite discos in Paris were "La Mandigotte", Quai de l'Hotel de Ville. et "Le 7", rue Ste Anne. There were among the best at the time but both were tiny in comparison with Studio 54. My first time at Studio 54, I couldn't believe such a huge venue just for dancing. It looked like a converted theater. Instead of theater curtains, from the carvernous ceiling, lights would go down from the ceiling, sometimes balloons or confetti and steam/smoke would blow from the sides and cover the floor. I was lucky to be with gay regular patrons so I never had to wait to get in. Since I was living in East Village, I don't think I would have gone there by myself. I was a student and I didn't have much money so it was more fun to stay from my area to Chelsea where there were many gay places. The bathroom was also surprising. There was an array of Good eaux de toilettes available for free use, most likely provided by the attendant and people were generous. There wasn't a charge but everybody left one or a few bucks for the attendant. You didn't go to Studio 54 before Midnight and that was considered early. Alcohol would be served until 4 AM, after that only non alcoholic beverages. Although, it was fun and much was allowed, it was never decadent. For my type of decadence, you had to go to a gay disco that would convert to an after hour place where you could get plenty of sexual action without much effort. We would go there after dancing or if I was home, since I was living on Peter Stuyvesant Street, I would walk to the East Side around 4 am, to Sheridan Square, down Christopher Street and up to the "meat packing district' to the Anvil, at the corner of 14th street and 10th Ave. It took me about 25 to 30 mn walking at a good pace. I did that many times by myself and It was only much later that I learned that doing so was dangerous since there were some anti gay guys or gangs who would beat up the queers. I don't know if it was because I am French but I never had any problems with Gays or Straights and easily made friends but I know it would have been of no use with Gay bashers. I don't have any particular nostalgia for the period but lots of fun memories and absolutely no remorse or regret for my behavior.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Thank you Leonidas-5555 for sharing your memories and your history - and WELCOME to the Forum... :D
A great read and we're happy you returned home safely all those nights !

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:18 am 

Halloween Night was the time to be at Studio.......................Period..............

Board index » CLUBS » Studio 54